Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Round 5: Post Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 51257 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Round 5: Post Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #135
I would hope that the club will be doing a thorough review of what transpires during this season and clearly identifying what has worked and what hasn't, leading to any plan adjustments that may be necessary. I too have an open mind as to possibilities but relying on existing players like Murphy, Gibbs, Simmo, Daisy and others for instance to be around or staying fit for any length of time may be a problem.

If the club has taken a long term view, why is it playing guys like Cripps injured and wearing abdominal guards?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #136
it was pure madness the persistent do nothing/sideways kicking that simply allowed every port player to flood back and then we panicked and coughed it up.....

Said it before that Bolton is a great educator and perfect for rebuilding with kids but tactics wise is untested and is learning that part of the coaching caper as he goes so he is going to get it wrong at times. The Weitering experiment down forward is one thats needs reviewing IMO....I'd rather see Jones or Jaksch doing some heavy lifting down forward and freeing up Casboult and Silvagni, Weitering needs to be back at CHB IMO where his lack of pace is less of a problem...the bloke who should be tried a bit more down the ground is Marchbank who likes flying for a mark and is more of a ball winner IMO. Like to see a bit more imagination rather than Weitering and Rowe just swapping ends...

Reply #137
If the club has taken a long term view, why is it playing guys like Cripps injured and wearing abdominal guards?

Don't you think it has taken a long term view?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #138

Exactly my point earlier in the thread. There is no excuse for playing an injured kid.  Totally unnecessary...and don't give me that 'character building' crap.

Reply #139
Don't you think it has taken a long term view?

I think the clubs behaviour isn't matching it's talk.

Perhaps our financial situation is far worse than we realise!

Perhaps Bolton's tenure isn't anywhere near as secure as we are lead to believe!

The person who needs to put all this to bed is LoGuidice, he's conspicuous by his absence!

Do you think playing kids injured will accelerate their development while delivering some other long term benefit?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #140
Going back to 2005 Port beat Hawthorn by 117pts on a Friday night. The Hawks side contained the likes of Lewis, Mitchell, Roughead, Hodge, Franklin, Sewell, Crawford, Bateman, Osborne, Ladson, Croad, Williams all of who went on to play in the 2008 premiership side a few years later.

Reply #141
I think the clubs behaviour isn't matching it's message, perhaps our financial situation is far worse than we realise!

Do you think playing kids injured will accelerate their development while delivering some other long term benefit?

Well I don't think we should play injured players period. I already posted that Cripps  should be rested.

Reply #142
Prior to this game his tackle numbers were 7, 4, 10, 7 so I don't know what happened last night.
Ive said this before, cant tackle what you cant catch. He looked off physically, dont know if he got a knock early or what but he looked farked trying to chase. Got caught a few times also.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #143
Exactly my point earlier in the thread. There is no excuse for playing an injured kid.  Totally unnecessary...and don't give me that 'character building' crap.

He had 37 touches last night. He might not be in perfect shape but can't be too bad. The absence of a decent ruckman and a shallow midfield isn't helping but how does it help Cripps to rest him in round 5 because he is a bit sore?  He too is young and we are getting games into him.

Reply #144
Going back to 2005 Port beat Hawthorn by 117pts on a Friday night. The Hawks side contained the likes of Lewis, Mitchell, Roughead, Hodge, Franklin, Sewell, Crawford, Bateman, Osborne, Ladson, Croad, Williams all of who went on to play in the 2008 premiership side a few years later.

At that time Hawthorn was benefiting heavily from financial and draft assistance from the AFL, we get not such assistance.

He had 37 touches last night. He might not be in perfect shape but can't be too bad. The absence of a decent ruckman and a shallow midfield isn't helping but how does it help Cripps to rest him in round 5 because he is a bit sore?  He too is young and we are getting games into him.

How good would Cripps be if healthy, what affect would that have on players around him?

Even on the commentary, that I hate, last night they made repeat comments about Cripps being down on his previous best, and we played him injured for what reason?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #145
At that time Hawthorn was benefiting heavily from financial and draft assistance from the AFL, we get not such assistance.

And still were beaten by 117pts!

Reply #146
I think the clubs behaviour isn't matching it's talk.

Perhaps our financial situation is far worse than we realise!

Perhaps Bolton's tenure isn't anywhere near as secure as we are lead to believe!

The person who needs to put all this to bed is LoGuidice, he's conspicuous by his absence!

BB was on SEN earlier, they asked him flat our if he feels he has the backing the CEO, Prez, Board etc. He was asked if anyone called him to which he replied "I wouldnt normally say this but I will, I got 3 phone calls this morning, one from Mark LoGiudice, one from Steven Trigg and one from Stephen Silvagni". He suggested they are all in this together and reassured everyone they have a plan and they will not deviate.
I think as Raydan suggested (great post by the way), we have to accept we cant have the baby without the labour pains.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #147
BB was on SEN earlier, they asked him flat our if he feels he has the backing the CEO, Prez, Board etc. He was asked if anyone called him to which he replied "I wouldnt normally say this but I will, I got 3 phone calls this morning, one from Mark LoGiudice, one from Steven Trigg and one from Stephen Silvagni". He suggested they are all in this together and reassured everyone they have a plan and they will not deviate.
I think as Raydan suggested (great post by the way), we have to accept we cant have the baby without the labour pains.

Good to hear GTC that we have strong faith in our plan and the determination to see it through for once without looking for a short cut.

Reply #148

Their futures are virtually tied together.
Succeed and they will reap and deserve all the credit as a group.
Fail... and it will be a collective blame.

They've set the course and have to stay true to it.

Reply #149
I didn't see the game, perhaps fortunately!

But stats do tell some sort of a story. The worm says we were in it for about a half, but we had 3 separate periods where they really got on top of us, 1 for a whole qtr that cost us 6 goals!

It's games like this where I an not worried about the kids, they will always have their ups and downs in their early stages, it's the senior players I am looking at in games like this.

When a team goes missing for a whole qtr, that tells me there is a problem with our on field leadership. At no stage did/could no one rally the troups and put an end to the run on that Port had. That's a problem.

If I recall correctly, Bolts has come out and said that we want to be known for our effort, consistency and pressure. My question is where was any of that in the 3rd qtr? for the whole qtr ??

The HUN has a stat for pressure acts that I have not yet seen, but my next favorite stat, tackles, tells a telling story. 11 of our players (half our side) were only able to lay 7 tackles between them, 7.
And they weren't all kids either, Murphy our captain, Docherty in our leadeship group, Wright and White, both senior players are in that group.

Now Bolts, tell me what kind of effort and pressure did they give throughout the whole game?

Not good enough.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!