Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Rd 13: Northern Blues vs Essendon at Windy Hill (Read 7491 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Rd 13: Northern Blues vs Essendon at Windy Hill

Reply #31
Yes Gorringe has all the physical attributes, his problem is he is made of a balsa wood/glass composite. Jones (I dont want to put the moz on him) is bullet proof injury wise.

We'll coming looking for you if you do moz him..lol.

Reply #32
Don't you just love it when we play that mob and it underlines how deadset awful our drafting was that year.  Great idea. Stupid choices.

Apparently the guy we really wanted was Langford not Laverde.  Great another flanker type.

I dont know what we saw in Gorringe, another in the inauspicious line of Carlton tall draftees with the competitive drive of a tired panda.

Dons are going ok if Langford cant make their team, played half forward then played on ball and was picking up Tom Wilson...he is a decent player at 191cm and 90kg...you look at Boekhorst  and you just cringe.
Laverde is around the same dimensions as Langford and played FF today...I was impressed like I was pre draft only con to him seems to be injuries....
Gorringe is a spud....its thats simple....if we cant find a better ruckman forward in the VFL/WAFL/SANFL then we are not trying...

Reply #33
Yes Gorringe has all the physical attributes, his problem is he is made of a balsa wood/glass composite. Jones (I dont want to put the moz on him) is bullet proof injury wise.

Jones has always had a red hot go - but hasn't always got the best return for his efforts.  Gorringe seems to let the game flow around him.  He cost us very little and we're probably getting value for money.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #34
Jones has always had a red hot go - but hasn't always got the best return for his efforts.  Gorringe seems to let the game flow around him.  He cost us very little and we're probably getting value for money.

DJ...An EB Falcon with a blown head gasket would give you more value than Gorringe...at least it would start and run till the cooling fluid ran out.... :)
He makes Jaksch look a serious footballer.... :P

Reply #35
Gorringe is a good example of what coaching megalomania delivers!

They all think that they can turn athletes into footballers.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #36
McKay looks devoid of confidence - he looks shot for this year. This is not the same McKay earlier in the year taking strong pack marks and kicking goals..  Confidence in your ability is a beautiful thing and he just does not have it at this minute... needs to bulk up over the pre season, work hard and go again.

Reply #37
Gorringe is a good example of what coaching megalomania delivers!

They all think that they can turn athletes into footballers.

Gorringe was recruited by SOS under Bolton.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #38
Haha! You talked me into not watching it.

You saved yourself considerable trauma and grief! More than anything it was sad. The only upside is further confirmation of who will be shown the door at year's end.

Gotta be tough though for blokes we're invested in developing in just the right environment, when that environment is struggling (H, Pickett...). I'd be pretty confident that the coaches will know how to keep the spirits up of blokes playing in a losing side who we see as long term investments. H looked lost yesterday and a long way from a key forward destined for senior footy success (though I'm sure the talent is there... how's his twin doing at the Kangabies?). Likewise Pickett, you can see it's there, just needs consistency, discipline and to find his feet here in Melbourne. I bet Walks is helping him a lot.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #39
Gorringe was recruited by SOS under Bolton.

Gorringe is in the system because he is an athlete, not because he is a footballer.

All coaches in the AFL system have this affliction, they think they can teach any athlete to be a footballer.

I see it right through to TAC Cup level were the AFL controlled selection and coaching process is ruining young footballers careers because they are not as gifted athletically as some code jumpers. TAC Cup is particularly interested in kids who fail to get US college basketball scholarships. The AFL system is full of them, footy is their fallback position when the US offer doesn't come, but they are not a footballers ar5ehole! Yet they hold their spot while the footballer gets cut.

Some of those potential mature age recruits, the ones everyone keeps posting about that surprisingly aren't drafted, are examples of footballers who miss because they aren't athletes. Yet they make the athlete look like a goose at the 2nd tier level!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #40
McKay got much more involved after he was moved into the ruck and I think that's where we should play him for the rest of the year, it's not as if he'll be depriving a young developing ruckman of game time.
He's got a terrific build for football and seems to have most of the physical aspects covered, and his foot skills seem solid, if we can get him into the thick of the action and give him some responsibility it could be the making of him.
Pickett I'm far less convinced about, he's a flash in the pan player like Buckley without Buckley's touch of the devil, soft and lazy is how he appears to me.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #41
McKay got much more involved after he was moved into the ruck and I think that's where we should play him for the rest of the year, it's not as if he'll be depriving a young developing ruckman of game time.
He's got a terrific build for football and seems to have most of the physical aspects covered, and his foot skills seem solid, if we can get him into the thick of the action and give him some responsibility it could be the making of him.
Pickett I'm far less convinced about, he's a flash in the pan player like Buckley without Buckley's touch of the devil, soft and lazy is how he appears to me.

Play McKay anywhere he can be involved. Ruck/forward, like Levi, might help him get more into the game. I saw a potential young gun in the first half of the year but a little lost when the side struggled and could barely kick any score whatsoever.

Reply #42
It greatly eased my mind watching him in the second half yesterday, not that he set the world on fire but he moved well and showed interest and commitment.
I think he'll be a good player in time, but maybe not the big bag of goals kicking key forward that we've been dreaming of since Fevola.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.