Skip to main content
Topic: Soccer fans' behaviour (Read 66915 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Soccer fans' behaviour

Reply #120
No LP I was referring to racist comments at the football and highlighting that it's not as clean as some would have you believe. Had nothing to do with your comments (sheesh).

How is this recent event of hooliganism not isolated when was the most recent one prior to that? I fail to see how this is repeated systematic behaviour.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #121
No LP I was referring to racist comments at the football and highlighting that it's not as clean as some would have you believe. Had nothing to do with your comments (sheesh).

Did anyone here claim a particular sporting supporter group was clean?

Is it valid to argue about bad behavior using other bad behavior as an example?

How is this recent event of hooliganism not isolated when was the most recent one prior to that? I fail to see how this is repeated systematic behaviour.

It had been previously linked in general media, and also allegedly in social media, via a couple of people making statements linking it to the bashing to two individuals in the Western suburbs of Sydney some time distant in the past! But as I stated, it will be very difficult to determine the causality. The claims could be spurious and designed just to hitch a ride on the soccer riot for personal reasons, but they could also be true so who knows?

What I do know is that in either case they are wrong, and the sport has nothing to do with it. So it must be the actions of individuals that come under scrutiny!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #122

Well yes that's what I thought lodsie was alluding to. I may have been mistaken.

Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #123

Well yes that's what I thought lodsie was alluding to. I may have been mistaken.

What about fans of equestrian? You don't see many all in brawls during dressage competitions.
Just glad I'm old enough to have enjoyed the 1995 Grand Final

Reply #124

What about fans of equestrian? You don't see many all in brawls during dressage competitions.

But they shoot horses don't they? ???

Clip that one "point critical" hurdle, or take one wrong step at a crucial moment, and that horses career ends in a manner that can best be described as very very abruptly!!!  ;D

I suppose violence is in the eye of the beholder, anyway I'm off fishing!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #125

I was referring to Lodsie's post, nothing else.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #126

I was referring to Lodsie's post, nothing else.

I didn't say we don't have our own villains.
My grandfather was once fined 10 shillings for calling an umpire a "mongrel and a skunk" :D

We have our fair share of idiots but they usually act in isolation.
As such it doesn't draw the attention of the media.....unless a player points it out and complains or a serious injury is done.
What I was talking about was the subculture groups (gangs) that go to the football just to create trouble with little or no thought about the game.

If they're as present in AFL we don't hear a lot about them

Reply #127
And they're as prevalent in the A-League all of a sudden after one incident?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #128
There have been a few famous AFL fights too.  Notably a St. Kilda match that didnt get finished at Waverley because the lights went out against the Scum (i think) and an ensuing pitch invasion and all in brawl occurred back in 1996.

You dont hear about it as much, but I have seen 2 flares lit at the footy between Carlton and Essendon.  Ponsford stand end of the G both on the same game.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #129
And they're as prevalent in the A-League all of a sudden after one incident?

According to the police (or the paper ;))

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/secret-files-reveal-violent-aleague-antics-in-our-sports-capital/story-fni0fee2-1226795049093

THE ugly face of Melbourne soccer hooliganism has been revealed in secret dossiers compiled by police covering A-League games.

Reports outline regular ­incidents of violence and ­hostility directed towards rival fans and security staff.

And there is evidence of ­intimidation of police by the most hardcore supporters.

The same day that appeared there was a similar article regarding a Western Sydney group in the Sydney papers.

....but I'll keep an open mind on it because I know how the press work when they get hold of an issue.

Reply #130
Like Thry said previously, just because the media run with it mean sweet FA in reality, they've already shown themselves to be biased to a certain extent.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #131

Was there not a Melbourne fan who was beaten senseless by a couple of Pies fans a few seasons back? Pretty sure no one was beaten senseless in the most recent bout of soccer hooliganism.

Nathan Jones' old man it was. In front of Nathan's younger brother. 

Blueing happens at AFL games no doubt - but it's not to the extent where mobs are involved and it becomes a tribal smash-a-thon between two sets of supporter groups. I've been involved in a few barnies at the footy. Usually a couple of blokes have a dance, the police intervene and that's the end of it. Not uncontrollable flare-lighting and all in brawls so frequently that people might feel unsafe to go.  

The incidents you have highlighted have been isolated...not cause for growing concern as it happens as the soccer.

We're very blessed as a code where two different supporters can sit next to each other at the footy and have a good time. If it was as extreme as the soccer business then that would not be possible. It's not something we want to lose as a code either. 

Reply #132
Like Thry said previously, just because the media run with it mean sweet FA in reality, they've already shown themselves to be biased to a certain extent.

...That's true.
But lovers of the Soccer must also admit to a bit of bias too.
Just as I'm biased when it comes to AFL and will defend it strongly.

Reply #133
Yep that's fair enough as well. I can't separate the two personally. ;)
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #134
LIKE most Australians, I enjoy a drink on social occasions.

However, as a father and as a citizen, I'm appalled by the violent binge drinking culture that now seems so prevalent, especially at "hot spots" in our big cities.

I'm sick of the fact that alcohol-fuelled violence has turned places that should be entertainment precincts into "no-go zones".

Hospital emergency departments should not be overflowing with the victims of substance abuse every Friday and Saturday night. The media should not be full of stories about the latest casualties from our own streets.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/exclusive-prime-minister-tony-abbotts-plea-to-end-drunken-street-violence-across-australia/story-fni0cx12-1226798595843
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!