Skip to main content
Topic: R1 Carlton vs Power After-match Aftermath (Read 80068 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: R1 Carlton vs Power After-match Aftermath

Reply #165
22 players had operations during the off season. A lot of players have had interrupted pre seasons so I never expected the team to be anywhere near fit. The way the game panned out shouldn't have been a surprise. We won't be hitting our straps for a while yet.

Reply #166
22 players had operations during the off season. A lot of players have had interrupted pre seasons so I never expected the team to be anywhere near fit. The way the game panned out shouldn't have been a surprise. We won't be hitting our straps for a while yet.

An important and often overlooked factor. Good get BB.

The three quarters of keeping abreast followed by the 4th quarter fade out would be consistent with this.

Reply #167
It's quite true that we had a lot of players who weren't able to get a good pre-season under their belts
The problem is that the opportunity has now passed them by for 2014.
You cant make up for that 4-5 month period of tough pre-season conditioning work during the regular season otherwise you leave yourself stuffed for games.
With a couple of players you could possibly manage by rotating players through games, but not with around a dozen or more.
The lack of a foundation puts them behind the pack when the other variation of training loads comes into play.

Reply #168
One of the best 1st quarters that the boys have ever played.

Geez, don't know about that kruddler....it was okay to good, nothing more than that. You're easily pleased..... ;)

What i liked about it was that we dominated.

Not just on the scoreboard, as we could've/should've kicked better, but all around the ground.

Contested possessions and hard ball gets we were dominating.
The boys were shepherding.
The boys were physical, without giving away free kicks.
When the ball went over the boundary line, a team mate would come over and give the guy chasing a pat on the head....and more importantly he would give his opponent a whack while he was there....and he he fought back, someone else would come over and give him one too.

We were physically beating up on them the way Hawks/Cats/Swans beat up on sides.

THAT is why it was the best first quarter these boys have ever played. They played like good teams should.

Reply #169
... Casboults Rucking is pretty good, so he's not just in there to play forward...

Casboult's rucking is poo when he is at his best!

x 2....shocking call there jami...err Dirty Harry. Casboult cannot ruck to save himself.

Kroozer is not much better at the moment. The start of their attacks all started when krooze was put in the ruck to give Warnock a rest.

Yep - agree with that....
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #170
It's quite true that we had a lot of players who weren't able to get a good pre-season under their belts
You cant make up for that 4-5 month period of tough pre-season conditioning work during the regular season otherwise you leave yourself stuffed for games.
With a couple of players you could possibly manage by rotating players through games, but not with around a dozen or more.
The lack of a foundation puts them behind the pack when the other variation of training loads comes into play.

Does this mean you think we're cooked for 2014 ?

Reply #171

Means that by the team is collectively 100% game fit, our season will be well & truly forked......great, just forking great.....over before it even started.....

Reply #172

I'm not going to call that on one game....but there will be individual players who won't have the season they otherwise would have had with a full pre-season base on which to build. Our problem is we have a few of those.

Reply #173

Means that by the team is collectively 100% game fit, our season will be well & truly forked......great, just forking great.....over before it even started.....

Certainly not fit enough for 84 interchange rotations a game. We need to start hitting the 120 mark next week.

Reply #174

I'm not going to call that on one game....but there will be individual players who won't have the season they otherwise would have had with a full pre-season base on which to build. Our problem is we have a few of those.

Translation: we're forked...... :D

Reply #175

Translation: we're forked...... :D

...probably :D....but some of those with limited pre-seasons will get a bit better as they regain some levels of fitness.
Just not to the same extent as if they'd had an uninterrupted training progression.

Reply #176

Geez, don't know about that kruddler....it was okay to good, nothing more than that. You're easily pleased..... ;)

What i liked about it was that we dominated.

Not just on the scoreboard, as we could've/should've kicked better, but all around the ground.

Contested possessions and hard ball gets we were dominating.
The boys were shepherding.
The boys were physical, without giving away free kicks.
When the ball went over the boundary line, a team mate would come over and give the guy chasing a pat on the head....and more importantly he would give his opponent a whack while he was there....and he he fought back, someone else would come over and give him one too.

We were physically beating up on them the way Hawks/Cats/Swans beat up on sides.

THAT is why it was the best first quarter these boys have ever played. They played like good teams should.

Yes, I was at the game. We did look very good in the first quarter and if we had have put an extra goal or two on the board, it may have been all over. I felt we didn't get adequate return on our dominance in the first. Port was generally better than us after quarter time. Our guys kept fighting but it appeared as if Port were going to break it open - and they did. Our pre-season was just as long-short as theirs, so no excuses on fitness. I think the altitude stuff is a crock of 5h1t. Port went to Dubai and they appeared much, much fitter and stronger than our guys.

Kreuzer must improve his fitness and jumping ability and both ruckmen need to take more marks around the ground, especially in defence. Garlett was terrible and overran the ball two or three times. Watson was very suspect overhead. He doesn't seem to able to spoil or mark very well at all. McInnes' disposal was very poor as was Robinson's. I think we need to persist with Graham and maybe even Buckley instead of McLean. A very disappointing night.

Reply #177

I'm not going to dispute your figure of 22 players having surgery. However, what I am going to dispute is the timing of the surgery.

- our season ended in mid-September
- they could of had surgery within 2-3 weeks of that meaning mid-October operations
- subject to their convalescence period, they could of resumed full-time training in mid-late November

So we have December, January, February and half of March which is about 13-15 weeks of sustained heavy training to get to full fitness.

We are talking about elite sportsmen working in an elite environment with professional instructors/mentors, not the average suburban player who just slums it. Besides, our guys already are coming off a solid fitness base from the 2013 season which they can work from.

So to me, either the players are cutting corners or the fitness guru is a dud !!

"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #178

I'm not going to dispute your figure of 22 players having surgery. However, what I am going to dispute is the timing of the surgery.

- our season ended in mid-September
- they could of had surgery within 2-3 weeks of that meaning mid-October operations
- subject to their convalescence period, they could of resumed full-time training in mid-late November

So we have December, January, February and half of March which is about 13-15 weeks of sustained heavy training to get to full fitness.

We are talking about elite sportsmen working in an elite environment with professional instructors/mentors, not the average suburban player who just slums it. Besides, our guys already are coming off a solid fitness base from the 2013 season which they can work from.

So to me, either the players are cutting corners or the fitness guru is a dud !!

the club appears to have no performance based management.

I mentioned the medical staff are no good. The day after the Sydney final - everyone should have been booked for surgery that day. That means 6 months to recover.

Regards to Mr Swan

Reply #179

Yep...controlled play, won plenty of the ball but the hallmark of average teams is they dont convert on the scoreboard .
4 goals 4 behinds should have been 7 goals 1 behind.....

So to Sumamrise:

We got 4 goals up and let a team run over the Top of us by kicking 6 straight on 2 occasions
We played 0 new Draftees and in fact had 1 from teh apst 3 years playing.. as sub compared to 2 first gamers from the winning side, and last years draftees were BOG.
We kicked more points than goals.
Our disposable was still shocking.

Yep I could see the change at the Top was needed.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset