Skip to main content
Topic: R1 Carlton vs Power After-match Aftermath (Read 80071 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: R1 Carlton vs Power After-match Aftermath

Reply #255
Did anyone manage to buy a beer on SUnday at Shocklands? $7.20 for mid-strength beer!!!!
I switched to Cougar  in the second half. $10 for a can but at least it was genuine. $7 for half strength rubbish is just a joke.
$9 for a Crownie in the social club is ok, but if you are at the ground, there's no point watching the game on the screens in there.

Reply #256
Hip flask for me from now on. ;)

Reply #257
How do Port have the ball 50 more times than us (twice as much) in the last quarter yet win the tackle count 14-4?

Just saw that stat on OTC and Geard states the bleeding obvious, no leadership.

Its been said before, but i think it comes down to fitness.

I heard on the radio that the Port list are freakishly fit.

Matt White was apparantly the fittest bloke at Richmond and used to win all their time trials and what not.
When he went to Port, he was relegated to 7th at the club. So including him, Port have 16% of their list fitter than everyone at the Tigers. I suspect that its not just a Richmond issue either.

Ken Hinkley said that this was not actually by design, they just happened to have heaps of freak athletes at the club and have started taking advantage of it.

we've got buttinfat

Reply #258
How do Port have the ball 50 more times than us (twice as much) in the last quarter yet win the tackle count 14-4?

Just saw that stat on OTC and Geard states the bleeding obvious, no leadership.

Its been said before, but i think it comes down to fitness.

I heard on the radio that the Port list are freakishly fit.

Matt White was apparantly the fittest bloke at Richmond and used to win all their time trials and what not.
When he went to Port, he was relegated to 7th at the club. So including him, Port have 16% of their list fitter than everyone at the Tigers. I suspect that its not just a Richmond issue either.

Ken Hinkley said that this was not actually by design, they just happened to have heaps of freak athletes at the club and have started taking advantage of it.

we've got buttinfat

Port and the Crows are all built like tanks.

Freak athletes my freckle.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #259
Did anyone manage to buy a beer on SUnday at Shocklands? $7.20 for mid-strength beer!!!!
I switched to Cougar  in the second half. $10 for a can but at least it was genuine. $7 for half strength rubbish is just a joke.
$9 for a Crownie in the social club is ok, but if you are at the ground, there's no point watching the game on the screens in there.

My mum bought a packet of snakes... for $6!

Reply #260
This fitness issue is not the first time I have heard on the radio. Wayne Carey was commentating on the radio and at the end of the third quarter stated Port would surge against us in the last quarter and win the game. he stated they worked extra hard on their cardio fitness for the previous season and that is why they played well in 2013. He stated they have worked even harder before this season. He said teams like Port are better prepared to run game out in the last quarter. Capable of running hard both ways the entire game to be more competitive. Fitter teams have better skills when the other side experiences fatigue and struggle to hurt on the score board. He was convinced Carlton needed a 4 goal or more buffer before the last quarter to stand a chance of winning this game.

I have also heard other commentators comment on Ports fitness in the past. if we seriously lack in this area then we can forget getting this season off to a flyer, and will be playing catch up through the entire season to just make the top 8 or even miss out entirely. Buttifant needs to consider if he has done his job in this area. Sure injuries effect some of our players, but we didn't have 22 players with injury issues before this game started on the weekend. Not being critical here, and just stating what I have heard. I laughed at the time, and now I find it far less funny than I originally did.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #261
Our season is b0rked, I just heard Malthouse has been pumping up Warnock for his great efforts on Sunday.

Really, check out the stats washup HERE

Tell me if you think that equates, maybe MM meant Lobbe?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #262
Our season is b0rked, I just heard Malthouse has been pumping up Warnock for his great efforts on Sunday.

Really, check out the stats washup HERE

Tell me if you think that equates, maybe MM meant Lobbe?

x2....Warnock isnt up to it...206cm and cannot take a mark, had the drop on a player in the goal square and fumbled it through for a behind. This where the better teams beat us... a B grade plodder like David Hale would have swallowed that and converted...its these little moments in play that kill you...like when Murphy handpassed to Robbo when he should have kicked it.
Malthouse must smoking something if he reckons Warnock dominated.....I thought Lobbe dominated the last quarter.....please we have a No 1 pick in Kruezer and a 206 giant in Warnock and we get towelled up by some non descript like Lobbe. We aint buying what you are selling Mick and I dont want anymore rotation excuses like last year or fitness excuses like this season.....

Reply #263
Mick knows as much as anyone that reality is secondary.

Reply #264
x2....Warnock isnt up to it...206cm and cannot take a mark, had the drop on a player in the goal square and fumbled it through for a behind. This where the better teams beat us... a B grade plodder like David Hale would have swallowed that and converted...its these little moments in play that kill you...like when Murphy handpassed to Robbo when he should have kicked it.
EB I have been waiting for this guy to click for 5 years, but there is a warning sign. When he goes down the 2s he does the very same thing at a level he should clearly dominate. All he gets are taps, the very odd marks and bugger all possessions. Casboult tends to do same thing which is why I am now a serious doubter, the kid should be smashing them in the 2s week in and week out.

By comparison Wood goes to the 2s and dominates in tap outs and stands up around the ground, same thing for Rowe but usually being played out of position, even Hammer use to stand out in the 2s compared to those opponents.

Malthouse must smoking something if he reckons Warnock dominated.....I thought Lobbe dominated the last quarter.....please we have a No 1 pick in Kruezer and a 206 giant in Warnock and we get towelled up by some non descript like Lobbe. We aint buying what you are selling Mick and I dont want anymore rotation excuses like last year or fitness excuses like this season.....
Lobbe is not too bad really, but he should not be competitive or winning against Warnock and Kreuzer in combination, that is self evident. Have a look at Lobbe stats for the match, he did that almost single handedly against Warnock and Kreuzer.

Is there some irony here, Mick Malthouse has a mantra that players need to be flexible yet he backs in a one trick tap pony?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #265
Haven't read any of this thread, so sorry if I repeat!

I don't know what Mick told the boys b4 the game, but our 1st qtr was a beauty !!!
But our boys seem to have short memories. the message was only partially followed in the 2nd and 3rd qtrs and completely forgotten in the 4th !!!

I reckon that collectively our boys are the type that need a rocket up them every qtr, just to keep them on their toes and motivated. Back off from them and they retreat back into their shells very very quickly.

Just a thought I had anyway.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #266
EB I have been waiting for this guy to click for 5 years, but there is a warning sign. When he goes down the 2s he does the very same thing at a level he should clearly dominate. All he gets are taps, the very odd marks and bugger all possessions. Casboult tends to do same thing which is why I am now a serious doubter, the kid should be smashing them in the 2s week in and week out.

By comparison Wood goes to the 2s and dominates in tap outs and stands up around the ground, same thing for Rowe but usually being played out of position, even Hammer use to stand out in the 2s compared to those opponents.

Lobbe is not too bad really, but he should not be competitive or winning against Warnock and Kreuzer in combination, that is self evident. Have a look at Lobbe stats for the match, he did that almost single handedly against Warnock and Kreuzer.

Is there some irony here, Mick Malthouse has a mantra that players need to be flexible yet he backs in a one trick tap pony?

Warnock got injured during the game and played it out.

Reply #267
Haven't read any of this thread, so sorry if I repeat!

I don't know what Mick told the boys b4 the game, but our 1st qtr was a beauty !!!
But our boys seem to have short memories. the message was only partially followed in the 2nd and 3rd qtrs and completely forgotten in the 4th !!!

I reckon that collectively our boys are the type that need a rocket up them every qtr, just to keep them on their toes and motivated. Back off from them and they retreat back into their shells very very quickly.

Just a thought I had anyway.

Can't really ride on emotion like that. First, it's covering up bigger problems and eventually it will start to wear off. Need something more substantial than the rocket evey quarter. Every now and again, okay.

Reply #268
Our efforts in this game, especially Q4, were definitely a massive disappointment and I came home  quite shattered. It's taken me a couple of days or more to get over it - I was pretty angry actually.

However, I recall last year posting that I will keep my powder dry until I've seen how we are playing by about R10 this year before making a judgement call so I guess I will stick to that. No more judgements as to our likely future prospects from me until then, if I can possibly help myself! I'll stick to just commenting on our actual performance in each game.

I just can't face the prospect atm of a massive rebuild and more years in the wilderness so I just hope for the best for now - and that's all it it is - hope.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #269
Bottom line in a game of footy is if you can't win the ball from the stoppages you don't win the game.....

Even when our rucks win the tap, it seems seldom do they tap it to one of our player's advantage......

I'd be getting game type into Cripps pronto - not much to lose.....

Be revving up Cameron Wood too (does he need an LTI to get a gig?)

Kreuzer has been the biggest disappointment of all for mine - is he still injured or is it a mind thing or......?
Finals, then 4 in a row!