Skip to main content
Topic: 2019 VFL Rd 2: Northern Blues vs Geelong at Geelong (Read 10992 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2019 VFL Rd 2: Northern Blues vs Geelong at Geelong

Reply #45
Certainty to be deleted end of year IMO.   Multi Year contract was sheer madness.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #46
My opinion hasn't changed, he is a bet we've placed, I'm just not sure we can afford those bets at this time. It feels too soon, I hope he proves me wrong!

To me it would make more sense for a club on the borderline of success to pick up a player like Fasolo, I see him as an icing on the cake type player not a 24x7 type. I do not think he brings the kids much, at least on the field, maybe he has prime value off the field like Lobbe, although some would now question that as well!

Fasalo was high risk...injury prone both physically and mentally, playing a yesterdays mark and kick game in a new era of pressure forward work which with his fitness and
game style had him unable to play senior footy at Collingwood and replaced by younger modern game style players...
If you took our desperation out of the equation you wouldnt have recruited him based on the facts.......

Reply #47
Certainty to be deleted end of year IMO.   Multi Year contract was sheer madness.

It was not a multi year contract. Well, I gather he needs to meet certain KPIs.....

Early days.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #48
Certainly, in my opinion which I admit doesn't count for much, only one of Lang or Fasolo can survive to 2020!

Fasolo I thought signed two years, Lang's contract is a mystery!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #49
Certainly, in my opinion which I admit doesn't count for much, only one of Lang or Fasolo can survive to 2020!

Lang end of 2019 according to footywire....

He'd need to fire a few shots THIS season, I agree.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #50
It was not a multi year contract. Well, I gather he needs to meet certain KPIs.....

Early days.

Yes, one year with an option.

I’d like to see him get that second year because he would have to play some decent footy to earn it.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #51
I've been as critical as anyone on Fasolo, but even I am not putting him in the 100% delist category. Given he is a seasoned player, he'll have the fitness base that draftees could only dream of. As a result, he might be able to make his way back into the side if/when he gets some continuity/consistency in his game.

Ditto Lang really.

That being said, we need to delist at least 3 at seasons end, and there isn't too many 'locks' for delisting at this stage. I reckon the front runners are probably, Polson, Fasolo, Lobbe, Philips, Casboult (all of who have played this year)

Reply #52

Tend to agree LP...my preference is Lang. Both are injury prone but I think Lang offers more in terms of where you can play him.
Fas is very limited and really his last few seasons have had him playing as a small leading Full Forward at Collingwood and I cant see him ever being
that pressure forward type of player required in the modern game.

Reply #53
I've been as critical as anyone on Fasolo, but even I am not putting him in the 100% delist category. Given he is a seasoned player, he'll have the fitness base that draftees could only dream of. As a result, he might be able to make his way back into the side if/when he gets some continuity/consistency in his game.

Ditto Lang really.

That being said, we need to delist at least 3 at seasons end, and there isn't too many 'locks' for delisting at this stage. I reckon the front runners are probably, Polson, Fasolo, Lobbe, Philips, Casboult (all of who have played this year)

Lebois, Garlett, Kerr, Schumacher and maybe Pickett(I would retain him) you can add to that list.....reckon they will keep one of the three rucks probably Philips and look to draft a 205cm plus stronger type ruck who can compete with the other big units that seem to be creeping into the game again...

Reply #54
Fasolo hasn't had an AFL-capable  fitness base for years, messed up over the summer (=less than professional attitude), now he's injured again.  It's round five,  he's running out of time to get fit enough to contribute - maybe too late already.     He'd need a stunning turnaround to be listed next Year. If he did so great,  but I'm not holding my breath in expectation.

So very high probability of being cut.   That would be another miss by SoS. His record on this front is very poor.

Reply #55
Fasolo hasn't had an AFL-capable  fitness base for years, messed up over the summer (=less than professional attitude), now he's injured again.  It's round five,  he's running out of time to get fit enough to contribute - maybe too late already.     He'd need a stunning turnaround to be listed next Year. If he did so great,  but I'm not holding my breath in expectation.

So very high probability of being cut.   That would be another miss by SoS. His record on this front is very poor.

I'm not sure sos has much to work with here though.  Of late we have only been attracting players who cannot play senior footy because they're down the pecking order for various reasons.  McGovern was the first we've landed who is a genuine chance to play in any side in the competition for a long while.  The reasons for that are wide and varied.  The major one is probably to do with what we have been doing the last few seasons and shuffling players out for draft picks and playing the longer game.  That means everyone is looking at us and not seeing us as a destination club because they are all wanting to win a flag.  That leaves us with blokes who are just trying to forge a career and lacking opportunities or blokes trying to resurrect their careers and needing opportunities.

Hence why its important we gove them every chance once we get them.  It will build a reputation that we are not the last chance saloon.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #56
McGovern was the first we've landed who is a genuine chance to play in any side in the competition for a long while.

We really cannot credit our recruiters with this too much, it's not really the recruiting coup it was reported.

McGovern wanted out and Gibbs wanted home, the club just needed enough balls not to blink!

However, I concede it seems it's a vote of confidence from McGovern about the club, it's coach and it's direction, because of all the participants in that deal he had the choice of destination.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #57
Smedts
Bugg
Mullet
Fasolo
Lobbe

If that isn't a line up for the desperation stakes at the last chance saloon I've never seen it.

But you're right,  the only blokes that want to come here are those in that position.... Or the money is talking.

Reply #58
If that isn't a line up for the desperation stakes at the last chance saloon I've never seen it.

But you're right,  the only blokes that want to come here are those in that position.... Or the money is talking.

If it's the money then we won't succeed, the one thing I know about top level sport is that if you are motivated by the money you'll blink every time there is a crunch moment. I doubt there is a single high ranked successful sports-person who is motivated by the money and made it to the top!

What about Lang, do you still hold out hope, could he be the small forward we are looking for? I think he can pay off if the club can get in his head and get him sorted out, because he's probably the second best ball user on our list!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #59
The kind of player who could be very useful but yet another perennially injured pick up.  A footballer moreso than a athlete.  My Geelong supporting mate says he gets leather poisoning but coming off bad foot injuries.....which started as a junior and they are so often career terminal.   His body shape and attitude concern as well - how badly does he want it? Can he get fit enough?

Reminds me in a lot of ways of Heath Scotland, who took a while to get himself sorted out as well but became a very valuable player with his positional flexibility,  nous and ball use.