Skip to main content
Topic: The Ashes - Third Test @ Old Trafford (Read 34418 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Ashes - Third Test @ Old Trafford

Reply #45
Pity is Iaj is that the pitches they are serving up aren't greentops and Warner was just as deficient against spin as everybody else in India.  Like most of them he simply does not have a plan against spin- a defensive plan or a low(er) risk scoring method.  He is not the answer to our batting malaise, just another in a long line of stroke players with dodgy techniques and the wrong attitude to Test-level batting.

In fact, if you go through the details, Warner's big scores (BOTH of them) have been made on decks that suited pace bowling where the ball came on.  No spin was involved in Perth or Hobart.  Yes, he punishes rubbish but at the same time his defensive technique is average.... he gets bowled more often by straight deliveries than any left hander I've ever seen.  Then there is Swan...

And to think that he has realigned his attitude after spending 2 weeks with Australia A is laughable.  Given that he had another incident on the field recently..... no, he needs to prove that he is 100% sorted before he gets back on the team bus.

On top of that, I don't see how he can be trusted to have pulled his head from his posterior... another incident recently, albeit a minor on field one.  Seriously, 2 weeks for Australia A and he gets recalled?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #46
Plenty of dry patches on the deck from all reports:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/the-ashes/mystery-burnt-pitch-greets-aussies-for-third-test-at-old-trafford-as-spinners-expected-to-prosper/story-e6frf3gl-1226688518629

How about ditching a batsmen (if you could call them batsmen that is), and having both Lyon and Agar playing.

Smith has a sore back atm, so he could be rested.

1.Rogers
2.Watson
3.Khawaja
4.Hughes
5.Clarke
6.Haddin
7.Agar
8.Harris
9.Siddle
10.Bird (in for Starc)
11.Lyon

Reply #47
Lyon won't play, he got pasted in the recent match against one of the counties. Smith can stay out of the team as far as I'm concerned too. Bird is a must though !!
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #48
Had an email from a young Pom wanting to come out to play at our club this season and he mentioned that this Test may end up being drawn as they are predicting rain throughout.

Reply #49
Aus 0-58....good flat track, Rodgers the aggressor...lets hope we build on the good start and dont fall to reverse swing later in the day. Some luck has to come our way as the Poms are not that good.

Reply #50
Khawaja...worst decision I have seen, went to the 3rd umpire who gave it out when clearly the ball missed the bat....should have gone to specsavers.
Bat hit the pad, clear gap between ball and bat......NOT OUT...how can anyone give that out.
We might as well just pack up and go home.....

Reply #51
The FWIT sitting in the stands who paid that one should be charged with match fixing.

The ball before pitched 6" outside leg and the poms were going to review....  they are the better side but how much "home" umpiring can the game stand????

Reply #52
Watson did little to disprove the detractors - only has one shot (the monster drive 2' away from his pad) and has no idea how to work singles... time to start grooming a young opener.

Reply #53
The FWIT sitting in the stands who paid that one should be charged with match fixing.

The ball before pitched 6" outside leg and the poms were going to review....  they are the better side but how much "home" umpiring can the game stand????
Kumar Dharmasena (SRI) former Sri Lankan test player, 2012 umpire of the year. Massive fall from grace!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #54
Khawaja...worst decision I have seen, went to the 3rd umpire who gave it out when clearly the ball missed the bat....should have gone to specsavers.
Bat hit the pad, clear gap between ball and bat......NOT OUT...how can anyone give that out.

Was at the pub watching the Test with a heap of the guy from my cricket club and nearly everyone in the whole pub screamed in anger when the umpires finger went up a second time.

The whole purpose of the DRS is remove howlers and then they give us that rubbish !!

Reply #55
There was a decision of NOT OUT when Miandad was caught at 3rd slip against Bruce Reid. Umpire said he didn't hit it. If only I could find the vision

Reply #56
Nice innings from Clarke and a handy knock from Smith to assist him...3 for 300 is a good start and we need to push onto 500 as this is a good batting strip.
Real good chance to win this test IMO if our bowlers can fire up and knock England over for 300 or less..

Reply #57
This is the method used for 3rd umpiring decisions apparently...

Great ton by Pup indeed.

Good to see Lyon back in the side, never deserved to be outed in the first place.

Reply #58
This is the method used for 3rd umpiring decisions apparently...

Great ton by Pup indeed.

Good to see Lyon back in the side, never deserved to be outed in the first place.

Rumors this bloke trained the umpires!

The Force Awakens!

Reply #59
Isn't the 3rd umpire international umpire of the year???