Skip to main content
Topic: Emirates Melbourne Cup (Read 7119 times) previous topic - next topic

Emirates Melbourne Cup

Anyone having a crack?

I like the romance of Preferment winning, the last true star stayer sired by the now deceased super sire Zabeel. The Zabeels love the 3200m at Flemington and Preferment has had two starts st the track for two Group 1 wins. Can see him bolting up to them around the home bend and putting them away.

Of the others Criterion is probably the best horse in the race but a query at the distance.

The Offer and Excess Knowledge two at odds.

Preferment
Criterion
The Offer
Excess Knowledge
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Re: Emirates Melbourne Cup

Reply #1
Gonna have a lttle something on United States but this race gets harder every year.
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #2
I wouldnt have a clue on horse racing...ended up with Fame Game in the work sweep...

Reply #3
Preferment for me too Carrots.

Was on fire on Derby Day, have given a little bit back so far today.

Reply #4
I'll give you guys the last minute inside word:

Our Ivanhow
Bondi Beach
and The US

I've backed those in, so stay well away and you'll be right  ;D

Reply #5
Gai talked up Excess Knowledge on the weekend.
So get on "The Offer" ;) :D
and Quinella them

Reply #6
Gai talked up Excess Knowledge on the weekend.
So get on "The Offer" ;) :D
and Quinella them

Haha I backed them both at 80/1 and 100/1 during the week, would be a great result either way.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #7
I've backed Criterion. I've only backed 3 winners in 42 attempts so best not listen to me...lol.

Reply #8
Did Hamish really just refer to the Paralympian as "He's a freak"...??!!
"...that's the thing about opinion - you don't have to know anything to have one..."  Andre Agassi commenting on Pat Cash 2004
"...the less you know - the more you believe..." - Bono 2006

Reply #9
 So let me just begin by stating that I wouldn't know the front from the back of a horse. But its uncanny how many times you hear or filter out bits of info on topics that you often know nothing about but you wish you acted upon it. I'd been listening to SEN most of the morning and most of it was back ground noise. As I walked out of my garage to go inside and watch the race, the only comment that stuck in my mind was Doctor Turf saying Prince of Penzance was no chance at 100:1. I was thinking about it as I walked in and thought imagine if it won. Nek minut!
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #10
So let me just begin by stating that I wouldn't know the front from the back of a horse. But its uncanny how many times you hear or filter out bits of info on topics that you often know nothing about but you wish you acted upon it. I'd been listening to SEN most of the morning and most of it was back ground noise. As I walked out of my garage to go inside and watch the race, the only comment that stuck in my mind was Doctor Turf saying Prince of Penzance was no chance at 100:1. I was thinking about it as I walked in and thought imagine if it won. Nek minut!

I reckon this is what happens though :D
Over the last couple of days we would have heard every horse in the race mentioned.
Most of the attention would have been on favoured horses... but they all would have rated a mention at some stage....even if it was to say they couldn't win. :D
After the race is over, and won, we can just about always think back to a point in those few days when we've heard or seen the name of the winner.
It's why some folk end up backing 24 horses in the race. ;D
Well maybe a dozen.

BTW... had you had a dollar the win on each of the runners you would have finished well in front. ;)

My father in-law was a big punter....he never bet on the race.
He said it was a "lottery"...and you were just as well off to pick your favourite number or colour.

I usually have about 4 trifectas boxing the number of the house I used to live on a long road (936).... or my car number plates :D

Unfortunately it means if the horses are outside the top 10 numbers I usually go home shirtless. ::)

Reply #11
Best wishes to Red Cardeaux and his connections, heck of a tough horse that one.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #12
Best wishes to Red Cardeaux and his connections, heck of a tough horse that one.
Out of danger thank God.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #13
I had a massive win.

Not interested in the race.

Didnt watch and still get the long weekend.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #14
The ABC fact check team looked at the cup and determined that it was most likely to be won by a male bay horse from overseas ridden by a jockey with blue in their colours.

I think that covered around 25% of the field  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball