Skip to main content
Topic: Round 16 Pre Game Thread - Blues V Dockers (Read 22868 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 16 Pre Game Thread - Blues V Dockers

Reply #15
When you're watching from the sidelines it's easy to make some rather odd suggestions. So here's one.

Over the next two weeks we play probably the best two sides (being nudged strongly by Sydney and WC) so why not use this as an opportunity to play any young bloke you're wondering about to firstly see how he responds and secondly so he gets to experience first hand how the best go about it. Then perhaps rest any of our front line older blokes carrying a nasty niggle or two. Treat it as an education.

Specifically you'd play Whiley, Smith, Dick, Fields, Jaksch and Walsh... not sure if we're allowed to play Russell. Perhaps even Foster.

Give each of Murph, Jamison and Carrazzo a rest for one of those two games. Use these two upcoming games to expose, teach and to rest. Then for the remainder of the season set out to win. After these two upcoming games I believe we could win 4 or so games and finish around 14th and have a much better 2nd half to the year (perhaps even 5-6 from our second 11 games as opposed to 2-9 from our first 11). Or maybe I'm just bored and should get back to work!  ;D

We need to start TANKING now.  Don't discuss it in the media, or at the club...like NIKE... Just DO IT!    I think we could win 3 more for the year, Collingwood, Melbourne and Brisbane.  Let's tank the Brissy game.  If we do, I've calculated we'll finish LAST.   Might sound awful, but in reality it isn't.  We get a gun tall forward (Pick 1) and Pick 19 which we could package up with Yarran/Henderson for another top tenner.  All of a sudden, we're BACK.

Reply #16
Personally despise tanking. We've tried it in the past, and it hasn't worked. Melbourne has tried it, and it doesn't work. I've said it before, it's just a variation of the Messiah complex. Instead of waiting for gun trades to save us, instead of waiting successful coaches to save us, now we turn to elite pimply faced adolescents to save us.

We need to build a culture that despises losing, that despises giving less than 100% every game, that can really develop kids the way other clubs do. Into such a system, you then trade, draft, recruit players who have a framework in place, and something to actually aspire to. Not, "you're barely out of nappies, you need to save us."

Sorry, but that's my 2 bob's worth.

Reply #17
Personally despise tanking. We've tried it in the past, and it hasn't worked. Melbourne has tried it, and it doesn't work. I've said it before, it's just a variation of the Messiah complex. Instead of waiting for gun trades to save us, instead of waiting successful coaches to save us, now we turn to elite pimply faced adolescents to save us.

We need to build a culture that despises losing, that despises giving less than 100% every game, that can really develop kids the way other clubs do. Into such a system, you then trade, draft, recruit players who have a framework in place, and something to actually aspire to. Not, "you're barely out of nappies, you need to save us."

Franklin, Lewis and Roughy were all once 'pimply faced adolescents'.  

Reply #18
Franklin, Lewis and Roughy were all once 'pimply faced adolescents'.

They were indeed. So were Travis Johnstone, Murray Vance and a plethora of others.

The three you mention would've arguably turned to sop at our club. But that's my opinion.

Reply #19

I wholeheartedly agree with you. When I suggested the above it was to 'balance' a learning experience and giving it our best against great opposition. They're two sides we won't beat but I give us a chance against any other sides bar the top 4.

Tanking is a cancer to culture. Should never even be contemplated. Losing to get a higher pick is not only what you accurately point out (player x is going to change everything for us - Messiah Complex continues) but is foolish beyond belief. The draft is not about our first pick only, it is much, much more than that.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #20
Not sure we have to "tank" this week... i'd give the Greek economy more chance of staging a recovery.

Reply #21
I wholeheartedly agree with you. When I suggested the above it was to 'balance' a learning experience and giving it our best against great opposition. They're two sides we won't beat but I give us a chance against any other sides bar the top 4.

Tanking is a cancer to culture. Should never even be contemplated. Losing to get a higher pick is not only what you accurately point out (player x is going to change everything for us - Messiah Complex continues) but is foolish beyond belief. The draft is not about our first pick only, it is much, much more than that.

Fine then.  Let's win 3 more and miss out on a 10 year Forward / Key Defender.  Let's trade out Hendo too while we're at it.  That way, we'll have a plethora of goal kickers in Casboult and Wood etc.   

Reply #22
We have to reward good VFL form so Jaksch should play, I'd probably also play Byrne and Whiley or Vojo at a pinch.
Jaksch for Fields, Byrne for Gibbs, Whiley/Vojo for Armfield, Menzel should be dropped but the cupboard is bare.
This will be ugly.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #23
We have to reward good VFL form so Jaksch should play, I'd probably also play Byrne and Whiley or Vojo at a pinch.
Jaksch for Fields, Byrne for Gibbs, Whiley/Vojo for Armfield, Menzel should be dropped but the cupboard is bare.
This will be ugly.

Looked like the Hawks manned up the Dockers spare when going forward.

I'm not sure what role Menzel is supposed to be playing, but he's giving us less than zero.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #24
This will be ugly.

Whiley and Viojo-Rainbow certainly don't deserve a call up on their NB's form.  Whiley got the ball but did nothing with it.

Rowe has to come back and Jaksch and Byrne deserve to be considered.  Fields did enough to earn another game but I can't see how Tutt can be retained; he lacks awareness and is not strong enough to stick a tackle.  If we do make four changes, Smith would be my choice for the fourth spot, not that he is really crying out to be selected.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #25
Whiley and Viojo-Rainbow certainly don't deserve a call up on their NB's form.  Whiley got the ball but did nothing with it.

Rowe has to come back and Jaksch and Byrne deserve to be considered.  Fields did enough to earn another game but I can't see how Tutt can be retained; he lacks awareness and is not strong enough to stick a tackle.  If we do make four changes, Smith would be my choice for the fourth spot, not that he is really crying out to be selected.

I actually forgot about Rowe, he'll probably play.
I thought Fields looked miles off the pace and can't really understand what anyone saw in his game but we each see it differently I guess.
Jaksch did enough to earn a spot but none of the others really put their hands up, but we need to replace Gibbs and Armfield at a minimum so two players get a gig regardless, and Menzel's recent form has been well below standard.
To me Vojo at least looks to have some skills which are in short supply at the CFC so I'd take a punt on him for a game or two, he needs to harden up but that's probably more likely to happen in the seniors.
I agree about Smith, at least he has a crack and isn't frightened.
We'll get well beaten anyway, we might as well have a look at a few of the young blokes.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #26
Docherty will be back, Rowe and Byrne in.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #27

How did I forget Docherty?  ::)

He will be an important inclusion an I wonder if he'll go into the midfield rotation.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #28

That's not shabby, but Jaksch deserves a game ahead of Rowe on the VFL form from last Saturday.
We'll still get thumped.

Reply #29

+1 to me here too.

Cimm take a picture of that one and frame it rather than the other childish crap.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson