Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 9: Carlton vs. GWS (Read 23788 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 9: Carlton vs. GWS

Reply #90
They do not play in the same position, and never will!

The MC won't replace O'Brien with a Kennedy type, for Kennedy to come in the MC must be chopping Setterfield, Gibbons, Fisher, Dow, Ed, or Cripps.

You are thinking emotively and not clearly, if Kennedy replaces O'Brien a slow must become a HBF or a Wing, and we are already slow enough!

I never suggested they play the same position.

And if Kennedy gets the ball 25+ times a games, there's 25 times the opposition aren't getting it....

LOB plays outside and doesn't even provide run ffs.

Kennedy would indeed offer more playing the very same role quite frankly.

And he'd lay a few tackles that stuck.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #91
Devastated.
My son's first live AFL game.
Direct quote walking back to the car "Im happy for the Giants people"

Broke my heart
It's probably the 2nd or 3rd worst game Ive seen from a Carlton team.
LOB, Dow, Stocker... These guys need to play VFL and not return to senior football until they are ready. We are going to kill any chance they have a being succesful.
McCreadie... Had he done anything to warrant a call up? Because he looked even less ready for a game than the last lot I mentioned.
Before anyone belts me, it is not the fault of these guys, and I feel sorry for them and for saying this. But geez, they don't look like Auskickers right now.
The skill level was atrocious last night. How can anyone get away with playing like that.
I THINK I still believe that sacking BB is not the way to go, but this club needs something drastic to happen because for all of the green shoots and honorable losses, we look a rabble.

Reply #92
Macradie - started playing in the 2s when Willo did. Played two games then broke down again (Achilles I think) then selected the week he was to resume in the 2s....

Goddard was by far the better option - played all season and in red hot form.

Bolts tries to get cute (or the whole MC which to me suffers from a major dose of group think) and repeatedly makes bad choices.

Picking Lochie O'Brien to play was worse than stupidity.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #93
Macradie - started playing in the 2s when Willo did. Played two games then broke down again (Achilles I think) then selected the week he was to resume in the 2s....

Goddard was by far the better option - played all season and in red hot form.

Bolts tries to get cute (or the whole MC which to me suffers from a major dose of group think) and repeatedly makes bad choices.

Picking Lochie O'Brien to play was worse than stupidity.

x10..Not sure what we were thinking with McReadie......no real form due to lack of games, yet Goddard who was recruited as backup is ignored.
Goddard was the match for Finlayson IMO, same style of player, size, pace etc.......
LOB was a dumb pick and based on what...form?...dont think so, the non selection of Kennedy rates with other selection blunders we have made of which there have been many.

Reply #94
x10..Not sure what we were thinking with McReadie......no real form due to lack of games, yet Goddard who was recruited as backup is ignored.
Goddard was the match for Finlayson IMO, same style of player, size, pace etc.......
LOB was a dumb pick and based on what...form?...dont think so, the non selection of Kennedy rates with other selection blunders we have made of which there have been many.

It's been happening all year. F... it's not rocket science.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #95
All this talk about Mumford the enforcer  ::).

I'm reminded of Harry Collier's comments about Ted Hopkins' performance in 1970 GF - "Someone should have, well, let's say, run into him accidentally".

But then I look at his stats - 7 possessions (31 hitouts).  Doesn't really have the ball long enough to be able to 'repay him in kind'.  Not that we have anyone who could currently take on this role anyway. Double eye roll.

Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #96
I never suggested they play the same position.

And if Kennedy gets the ball 25+ times a games, there's 25 times the opposition aren't getting it....

LOB plays outside and doesn't even provide run ffs.

Kennedy would indeed offer more playing the very same role quite frankly.

And he'd lay a few tackles that stuck.

O'Brien spent most of the game on a flank, so if you bring Kennedy in for O'Brien how do you re-shuffle?

You're not giving the problem full consideration.

Given Ed was already a slower flanker, how many more slow flankers can we carry? Would you prefer we move someone with pace to a flank like Fisher, who also happens to be our 2nd best inside ball winner at the moment!

I accept you want Kennedy in, but the re-shuffle is not trivial given we are already top heavy with five relatively slow talls playing, in and around a relatively slow midfield which has Kreuzer and Cripps?

Don't just tell us what you want, tell us how you will make it work?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #97
Sounding like a broken record but if we don't get decent support in their for Cripps he'll be a busted up player within 3 years from carrying our club and I won't begrudge him wanting to come home and play for someone like the Eagles who are in flag contention. We recruited Kennedy to play that role and he can't get a game ahead of blokes like O'Brien. Said it last year, O'Brien is not up to it and another high draft pick blown.

Charlie Curnow must've read all the hype because at the moment he's not worth having out there, albeit the ball didn't obviously get down there much yesterday. Thankfully I basked in the glow of the election victory and didn't want to dampen that mood by watching us get blown away yesterday which was a dead certainty. Give Curnow a run in the twos and give Kerr a crack at it....if Kerr's not up to it then get rid of him rather than clog up the list

4 years into a rebuild and we sit on the bottom of the ladder...again! It's looking highly likely we've blown the number 1 draft pick next year as well. Agree on the earlier comments about Goddard. Why get him into the club and then when your full-back goes down, don't even pick him despite being BOG in the twos a couple of weeks back and they have 3 big forwards!

We have far too many blokes that are injured all the time.....guys like Kennedy, Marchbank, Cunningham, Kreuzer, Phillips.

The mantra was 4 years of drafting kids and then load up with trades and free agents. Who in their right mind would want to come and play with Carlton as a Free Agent unless their sole reason was $$$ before retirement. It irks me to see someone like Mitch Robinson playing superb footy for Brisbane and using his body as a battering ram at every contest and we just don't have anyone remotely close to being able to play that role.

The club is on it's knees and simply can't continue on like this. It might've been offensive from Eddie but someone should be making a call to Clarkson's manager and just asking the question.

Reply #98
It irks me to see someone like Mitch Robinson playing superb footy for Brisbane and using his body as a battering ram at every contest and we just don't have anyone remotely close to being able to play that role.

We have the bloke that was in the leadership group that sacked him tho.
He will keep us warm at night.

Reply #99
We have the bloke that was in the leadership group that sacked him tho.
He will keep us warm at night.

Robinson got the chop because MM hated him after Robbo punched the ball through on the goal line, MM verbally attacked him on the boundary line and Robbo argued back, after that Robbo's goose was cooked. Any other explanations were merely a convenient excuse!

The irony being that MM would sit in a presser and tell you he always has the player's backs! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #100
O'Brien spent most of the game on a flank, so if you bring Kennedy in for O'Brien how do you re-shuffle?

You're not giving the problem full consideration.

Given Ed was already a slower flanker, how many more slow flankers can we carry? Would you prefer we move someone with pace to a flank like Fisher, who also happens to be our 2nd best inside ball winner at the moment!

I accept you want Kennedy in, but the re-shuffle is not trivial given we are already top heavy with five relatively slow talls playing, in and around a relatively slow midfield which has Kreuzer and Cripps?

Don't just tell us what you want, tell us how you will make it work?

Well indeed, heard of a word called rotation LP?

Winning the ball - you know, getting your hands on it is far more important than whether you run the 20m in 2.9 or 3.2 seconds (I note Kennedy did it in 3.13 at the Combine back when - you call that slow!  ::) )

lob seldom touches the ball nor even gets close to the ball 98% of the game....yet gets picked!

Balance you say? Kennedy plays inside and outside. LOB does neither presently.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #101
Sounding like a broken record but if we don't get decent support in their for Cripps he'll be a busted up player within 3 years from carrying our club and I won't begrudge him wanting to come home and play for someone like the Eagles who are in flag contention. We recruited Kennedy to play that role and he can't get a game ahead of blokes like O'Brien. Said it last year, O'Brien is not up to it and another high draft pick blown.

Charlie Curnow must've read all the hype because at the moment he's not worth having out there, albeit the ball didn't obviously get down there much yesterday. Thankfully I basked in the glow of the election victory and didn't want to dampen that mood by watching us get blown away yesterday which was a dead certainty. Give Curnow a run in the twos and give Kerr a crack at it....if Kerr's not up to it then get rid of him rather than clog up the list

4 years into a rebuild and we sit on the bottom of the ladder...again! It's looking highly likely we've blown the number 1 draft pick next year as well. Agree on the earlier comments about Goddard. Why get him into the club and then when your full-back goes down, don't even pick him despite being BOG in the twos a couple of weeks back and they have 3 big forwards!

We have far too many blokes that are injured all the time.....guys like Kennedy, Marchbank, Cunningham, Kreuzer, Phillips.

The mantra was 4 years of drafting kids and then load up with trades and free agents. Who in their right mind would want to come and play with Carlton as a Free Agent unless their sole reason was $$$ before retirement. It irks me to see someone like Mitch Robinson playing superb footy for Brisbane and using his body as a battering ram at every contest and we just don't have anyone remotely close to being able to play that role.

The club is on it's knees and simply can't continue on like this. It might've been offensive from Eddie but someone should be making a call to Clarkson's manager and just asking the question.

Would be interested to know why Cuners didn't play?

Kennedy is fit, O'Brien is BB's present love child seemingly.

Again, we were putrid because the midfield went totally, abjectly missing....can't blame the back line.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #102
I don't know but was it just me or did anyone else think Bolts looked pale and like he was staring death in the face during his presser? He looked defeated for the first time. As for Lloyd on SEN this morning, he just sounded shocked.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #103
Dale Thomas sent straight to the tribunal for abusing an umpire....but apparently it's all okay to crunch a bloke in the ribs with your knees?

Reply #104
I don't know but was it just me or did anyone else think Bolts looked pale and like he was staring death in the face during his presser? He looked defeated for the first time. As for Lloyd on SEN this morning, he just sounded shocked.

Yes, agree. He looks resigned to a fairly grim end, courtesy of the Carlton Coach Killer Vortex™, which will claim its next victim pretty soon.