Skip to main content
Topic: Chris Yarran has gone backwards. (Read 115247 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Chris Yarran has gone backwards.

Reply #195
So although his overall possessions are down a touch from last year, he is kicking more goals (as you'd expect being forward now) but also laying double the amount of tackles he was laying last year.

High tackle count could just be the player getting beaten to the ball more. We also need to understand what tackle counts mean for forwards and defenders. For example, Walker averages fewer tackles as a defender than he did as a forward as well.

Overall he is getting more hard ball per game, but overall he is getting a lot more hard ball and less easy ball compared to last year.

I don't see that as an indication of anything though, that's what you'd expect to happen as you have a closer checking opponent as a forward.

It would be interesting to know what his opponents are doing but I don't think those stats exist.

So the stats say that he is laying more tackles, getting more hard ball and obviously hitting the scoreboard more.

So tell me how it is exactly he is going backwards again? ???[/quote]

Why is there so much angst about his performances?

Reply #196
Yarran has 4 games to change Micks opinion about what he is worth. They could be the most important 4 games of his life. His body is capable of anything. Just getting his mind right is the issue. Can that be fixed ? Wait until seasons end.

Mants...This is how I see it too....4 games to show some intensity and keen interest that he wants to be part of the team going forward and is prepared to follow the coaches
instructions.
If he does that then he will be taken off the trade bait list, if he doesnt I expect him to be shopped around. I dont think MM is silly enough to give him away for peanuts just to prove a point
and I would expect him only to be traded if the deal was heavily biased our way for something we really needed.

Are you guys serious? But krud and Baggers said he's better this season!  ;D Big wraps on Yazz we'll get the #1 pick for sure!
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #197
@ Carrots and (the poster formerly known as) LLT

I never said Yarran was better, i said he hasn't gone backwards. His stats show he is better.

I said previously that i think he is essentially the same player he was last year. Brilliant at his best, sooky and disinterested at his worst and overall consistently inconsistent.

Carrots is trying to say he was a star more often than not last year. I'm saying there is negligable difference one way or the others.

Reply #198

I never said Yarran was better, i said he hasn't gone backwards. His stats show he is better.

I said previously that i think he is essentially the same player he was last year. Brilliant at his best, sooky and disinterested at his worst and overall consistently inconsistent.

Carrots is trying to say he was a star more often than not last year. I'm saying there is negligable difference one way or the others.

If he is about the same, is he more effective as a forward or a defender? Or are we saying he is as effective as a forward as he is a defender?

Reply #199

If he is about the same, is he more effective as a forward or a defender? Or are we saying he is as effective as a forward as he is a defender?

Absolutely more effective as a defender

Reply #200

I think you need to package up Andrew Walker to make that decision.

Walker back and Yarran forward
or
Yarran back and Walker forward

What works better? Don't know.

I think Walker is a better defender as he can play on tallish players as well.
Yarran is probably better streaming through the middle of the ground, and probably better at kicking the miracle goal.
Walker is better as a leadup forward, but not as useful in front of goal. Would also struggle given our forward setup now.

I think this years version of Walker back and Yarran forward works better than last years version of Walker forward and Yarran back..

Ideally, you'd want Yarran to work on his tank and consistency and get more time in the middle.

Reply #201
Walker's defensive side has been average this year. He was exposed as the weak link vs Freo. As for him not being as useful in front of goal, how many did he kick in his injury free year in 2011? 52 from memory, he was our leading goalkicker I think. Yarran was copping the defensive forward in every game as a defender.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #202
Walker's defensive side has been average this year. He was exposed as the weak link vs Freo. As for him not being as useful in front of goal, how many did he kick in his injury free year in 2011? 52 from memory, he was our leading goalkicker I think. Yarran was copping the defensive forward in every game as a defender.

Read what i write carrots.

Yarran is probably better streaming through the middle of the ground, and probably better at kicking the miracle goal.
Walker is better as a leadup forward, but not as useful in front of goal. Would also struggle given our forward setup now.

Yarran is more freakish in front of goal and more capable of pulling one out of nothing.
Walker is more reliable as a leadup forward. Read consistent.

You've formed an opinion and everything you say from now you arrange to fit in line with your original opinion. ie everything was better under ratten.
Trying to convince you of otherwise is pointless at present.

Personally, i think the defensive forwards worked a treat more often than not on Yarran last year. That hasn't worked on Walker this year (or it hasn't been tried). He couldn't break a decent tag.

Reply #203

Read what i write carrots.

If you change the bold around that's the way I read it. Walker is definitely more useful in front of goal, and Yarran's speed is definitely more useful coming out of defence.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #204
Yarran a wingman. Have him move through the middle of the ground no doubt. Walker has been making plenty of mistakes recently in defence. He has his good moments and his bad moments. While I like Walker forward, he goes for a flyer way too often and could better use his speed on the lead. I think a fit Waite will put pressure on both these two to lock in a role. While Waite will always play limited games due to injury and suspensions, he is a better defender and forward to both of these guys. Garlett is probably a better forward to both Yarran and Walker too. The guess is what Mick thinks will be the roles for Yarran, Walker, Garlett and Waite.

We speculate about what we see, but one thing for certain, no other side has 4 guys as potent as these 4, when they are all hot. Mick needs to get what he can from these 4, if they are not part of the so called 10 players to be let go. Forget to add Betts to that mix. Sorry. Maybe we need to start rotating them through the middle of the ground more often. This way they have to work. Can't go missing there.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #205
We speculate about what we see, but one thing for certain, no other side has 4 guys as potent as these 4, when they are all hot.

Agree Mantis, we don't have a bad list.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #206
Is Yarran contracted?  If so for how long?

Reply #208
Interesting that on Fox Footy last night Kingy and Alister Lynch were talking about Yarran bordering on being an AA half back two years ago and now just being not much chop at all. Are we going to dismiss their comments as well? A HUGE fall from grace. Add Betts bordering on AA last year the same.

To all those saying he hasn't gone backwards, would you consider him any possibility whatsoever of being AA this year?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #209
I don't recall Yarran being close to All Australian ever.

Betts should have been All Australian last year but has had injuries/suspension this year, oh I forgot Malthouse has no injuries.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!