Skip to main content
Topic: Chris Yarran has gone backwards. (Read 115839 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Chris Yarran has gone backwards.

Reply #75
See cookie, I look to his last three years in defence and I see a player that beat his man more often than not and gave us tremendous drive coming out of defence. I see a new coach come in, move him out of his position, make him sub ( poor team selection ) and then drop him to try and make a statement and then I see what I saw last night which is as bad as I've seen him approach any game. Every player is different and it's up to the coach to get the best out of them, especially when you have a player as talented as Yarran. I blame the coach TBH and I'm pretty sick of the blind faith being shown in Malthouse. You guys will learn the hard way.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #76
Understand your frustration PI2C. I don't have blind faith in Malthouse BUT he's our coach now and we have to go forward with him. OK he'll do things at times that will mystify us or make us feel frustrated but he's there for another 2 years at least after this one - we may as well try to be optimistic, at least at this early stage. If we're still having this conversation in 12 months time then I would be right there with you in voicing my concerns.

Still does not change my low opinion of some of our players - and unfortunately yarran is one of them - not his talents but his attitude.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #77
Fair enough cookie. I guess we wait. I'm really sick of waiting though! :P
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #78
Yarran is certainly struggling with the challenges and rigours of being an AFL footballer - I guess with the transition of being naturally a show-pony but needing to become a warhorse. :(

I reckon that's a pretty good analogy for Yarran right there, good work C2 !!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #79
Just watching Adelaide vs Port.

Take a look at Jarred Petrenko.  He lead the way in terms of lifting the tackling pressure.

On the other side you have chad winguard.  Both have been huge.  Chris Yarran could have twice the talent but doesnt even have half the ticker and both have had a major say in their sides fortunes in this game of footy, and Yarran has NEVER shown this level of commitment to the cause.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #80
Just watching Adelaide vs Port.

Take a look at Jarred Petrenko.  He lead the way in terms of lifting the tackling pressure.

On the other side you have chad winguard.  Both have been huge.  Chris Yarran could have twice the talent but doesnt even have half the ticker and both have had a major say in their sides fortunes in this game of footy, and Yarran has NEVER shown this level of commitment to the cause.

Trouble is you will never be able to teach Yarran to play like Petrenko or Winguard do, you might be able to get Yarran to lift his intensity a bit, but it's highly unlikely that he will ever lead the charge like the other 2.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #81
When I look at Yarran I see a classy, super skilled  but extremely lazy footballer .I would prefer a guy like Ballantyne or Walters who give 110% every week.He may have played his last game for Carlton and if he shows that lack of commitment I wont be crying if he goes .Its a shame really >:D    

Reply #82
Hasn't gone backwards, has just been called out for the footballer that he currently is.

I have always said from day dot that Yarran has all the tools to be elite and it's up to one person if he makes it or not.  

I don't think he wants it badly enough.   Pretty happy just going along at the moment.   Either that or he thinks he a has already arrived.

Yarran pretty much sums up were we are as a club and I am glad that MM has at least had a crack at leading this horse to water.

Reply #83
Nah, he's gone backwards. Who's at fault is debatable but he is just plain awful ATM, a shadow of the player we've been used to seeing over the previous 2 years. Think about it. no one would've entertained trading Yarran over the past two years but now everyone is happy to fk him off. He's gone backwards no doubt about it.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #85
Who's at fault is debatable.
lol.
Seen the light have we?

What that I get a negative karma every time you log in? Yeah.

With regards to Yarran I blame MM without a doubt, I just CBF arguing the point over and over again to a bunch of people that see MM as some sort of messiah that can do no wrong. :P
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #86
I think Yarran's attitude has gone backwards...no one doubts his talents but he sulked up after getting dropped and continues to pick and choose which contests he should involve himself in.
MM has made mistakes but Yarran has to learn accountability like the rest of the playing group and understand that being a  highlight reel player wont win him any pats on the back from a coach like Malthouse who from memory suggested he didnt think much of Dane Swan's game one day after Swan got the ball forty times.
Like Betts and Garlett he needs to toughen and up and embrace the new coaching style and learn from it.....I think he is capable if he can be bothered and that seems to be the thing about CY...if he can be bothered.

Reply #87
Who's at fault is debatable.
lol.
Seen the light have we?

What that I get a negative karma every time you log in? Yeah.

With regards to Yarran I blame MM without a doubt, I just CBF arguing the point over and over again to a bunch of people that see MM as some sort of messiah that can do no wrong. :P
Try spending less time being paranoid Chris. :)

Reply #88
Well yeah I agree it's his attitude that's gone backwards, he hasn't lost ability, just his focus.

Quote from: ElwoodBlues1
I think he is capable if he can be bothered and that seems to be the thing about CY...if he can be bothered.

The buck stops with the coach IMO, it's up to him to make Yarran bothered. He sure as hell looked bothered under the prvious regime. What I saw vs the Saints and even worse on Saturday night was worse than any other performance he's put in in the past. He's lost all enthusiasm as have his Amigos. You have to ask the question, how many players can underperform before you stop blaming the player and start looking at the coach.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #89
Well yeah I agree it's his attitude that's gone backwards, he hasn't lost ability, just his focus.

Quote from: ElwoodBlues1
I think he is capable if he can be bothered and that seems to be the thing about CY...if he can be bothered.

The buck stops with the coach IMO, it's up to him to make Yarran bothered. He sure as hell looked bothered under the prvious regime. What I saw vs the Saints and even worse on Saturday night was worse than any other performance he's put in in the past. He's lost all enthusiasm as have his Amigos. You have to ask the question, how many players can underperform before you stop blaming the player and start looking at the coach.

i'm onboard PI2C. Every beef I had with Ratts' coaching, I'm having that and more with what MM puts out most match days - poor selections, poor usage of players and too many players not prepared to do the hard/team thing......

That said, it wasn't the Three Amigos that lost us the Freo game it was simply and (largely) solely the pisse weak midfield (led missing by our MIA captain) and any lack of real support for Kreuzer....
Finals, then 4 in a row!