Skip to main content
Topic: Chris Yarran has gone backwards. (Read 115853 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Chris Yarran has gone backwards.

Reply #90
I think the individual player problems stem from cultural problems at the club going back a long, long time. It was highlighted way back when the now infamous "We don't rebuild!" statement was issued. As yet I haven't seen any major improvement that I can identify.

We may have been penalised for "Not Rebuilding", but we haven't learned the lessons yet! Ironically I think the cheating Bumbers stalled our progress, because that juiced up result early last year made us question if the direction we were heading in was the right one!

Some of these "World's Best Practice" training and fitness techniques are a worry as well. This to me relates to the "Train Smarter, Not Harder" ideology, and the warning bells for me are the "Not Harder" part. Winners will do both, the smarter techniques should just be seen as the icing on the cake not a complete alternative!

I can understand the "Smarter Not Harder" ethos, if your a 50 year old and want to run your first marathon the "Smarter Not Harder" stuff might help you get across the line where a hard training regime might just kill you. But you won't win the marathon not by a long way!

So why do I think this is important relative to someone like Yarran. Because often the "Train Smarter, Not Harder" ethos is part of the lazy trainers lament!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #91
Nah, he's gone backwards. Who's at fault is debatable but he is just plain awful ATM, a shadow of the player we've been used to seeing over the previous 2 years. Think about it. no one would've entertained trading Yarran over the past two years but now everyone is happy to fk him off. He's gone backwards no doubt about it.

So why has he gone backwards?  Is it injury?  Is it lack of game time or opportunity?   What's changed in 6 months?

The only things I reckon that has happened is he is playing a different role and he has had the acid put on him by Malthouse.

To the first part.   Playing half forward flank doesn't seem to worry Christensen, Motlop, Thomas and Wingard.  So he should be able to have an impact.  

To the second part.  Mick dropped him and applied the acid.    There is a old saying that you really don't know someone until you have pinched them and you see how they respond.  Remember the Essendon game against West Coast when Hird gave Sheedy the big "screw you" with a raised fist to the coaching box after he kicked a goal.   Clearly Sheedy told him something he didn't like, but he went out to prove him wrong rather than drop the lip.

I guess I hoped Yarran would do like Hird did, but at the moment it looks like he has responded like my 4 year old son.   I just don't think it ever going to happen with Yarran and in ten years time he might have a goal of the year to his name when he should have countless more important honors and it will be everyone else fault that he didn't make it.

He has shown a real lack of character for mine and I hope I am wrong because I love the player he could be.

If it's to be it's up to me.

Reply #92
Fair points Shakin, I just have an awful sinking feeling that he will find his best, at another club. Some players require different treatment. For example (and i know you wont like this) he has gone easy on Murphy for sure from where I sit. i'd love for him to put it to Murph like he has Yazz. Somehow i don't think that will happen. Does this make him a good coach, or a hypocrite?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #93
Nah, he's gone backwards. Who's at fault is debatable but he is just plain awful ATM, a shadow of the player we've been used to seeing over the previous 2 years. Think about it. no one would've entertained trading Yarran over the past two years but now everyone is happy to fk him off. He's gone backwards no doubt about it.

So why has he gone backwards?  Is it injury?  Is it lack of game time or opportunity?   What's changed in 6 months?

The only things I reckon that has happened is he is playing a different role and he has had the acid put on him by Malthouse.

To the first part.   Playing half forward flank doesn't seem to worry Christensen, Motlop, Thomas and Wingard.  So he should be able to have an impact.  

To the second part.  Mick dropped him and applied the acid.    There is a old saying that you really don't know someone until you have pinched them and you see how they respond.  Remember the Essendon game against West Coast when Hird gave Sheedy the big "screw you" with a raised fist to the coaching box after he kicked a goal.   Clearly Sheedy told him something he didn't like, but he went out to prove him wrong rather than drop the lip.

I guess I hoped Yarran would do like Hird did, but at the moment it looks like he has responded like my 4 year old son.   I just don't think it ever going to happen with Yarran and in ten years time he might have a goal of the year to his name when he should have countless more important honors and it will be everyone else fault that he didn't make it.

He has shown a real lack of character for mine and I hope I am wrong because I love the player he could be.

If it's to be it's up to me.

Great post Shakin....top shelf.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #94
Interesting Sheahan and Roos had their crack last night on OTC. They both said he's a huge concern, Sheahan said his mail is he will be traded for sure. If Sheahan knows this it's not hard to see why Yarran looked like he was going through the motions. He won't be here next year. Big cross to Malthouse with many more to come IMO.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #95
Interesting Sheahan and Roos had their crack last night on OTC. They both said he's a huge concern, Sheahan said his mail is he will be traded for sure. If Sheahan knows this it's not hard to see why Yarran looked like he was going through the motions. He won't be here next year. Big cross to Malthouse with many more to come IMO.

Interesting PI2C. Wonder if a deal "in principle" has been done already with another club if Sheahan is in fact right? The interesting thing also is the question of if he's going why is he still playing - can't be doing him or CFC any good surely?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #96
For too long Carlton Football club has been about individuals.

Yarran is talented, and its a testament to why he has to go if he is going to just "go through the motions" if he indeed wants out.

I want 22 soldiers who despise losing to the point where they will play well in spite of what is going on rather than will play poorly to spite their current coach knowing they have one foot out the door.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #97

Yarran is talented, and its a testament to why he has to go if he is going to just "go through the motions" if he indeed wants out.

I want 22 soldiers who despise losing to the point where they will play well in spite of what is going on rather than will play poorly to spite their current coach knowing they have one foot out the door.

This with some Karma

Reply #98

So how is Yarran different to anyone else. Why is he Malthouse's scapegoat? He blamed the loss to the Scum on him. Malthouse is picking and choosing who he goes for, just like EB accuses Yarran of picking and choosing when he goes. Hypocrite much (not EB)? What's good for Yazz is good for everyone else, how about singling out a few others Malthouse. How about Murphy's pi55weak efforts to tackle earlier in the year? Bryce's lack of heart? He's probably worried he may 'lose' these players if he goes after them but I get the feeling he never really liked yarran anyway and is happy to risk him. Unfortunately, it's had the domino effect with his fellow 'Amigos' and backfired on him.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #99
Sheahan has made many calls on many players that go nowhere (eg. Cloke, Boak).

Yarran has gne backwards - I blame Malthouse
Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........

Reply #100
Me too.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #101
Got to stop blaming the coach.  In Malthouse's short time at the club he wouldn't have had that much of an impact to stop Yarran having an influence on game day.   If Yarran had of stepped up and shown a little bit of character we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I said when Ratten was sacked that after pathetic performances against Port Adelaide and Gold Coast the players had the coaches blood on their hands.   

I hate calling footballers "soft", as they play an incredible tough game, but our boys are mentally weak and every time they get labelled as soft I think "here we go!" I can't wait for the response.... waiting....   waiting.... little bit of push and shove against St.Kilda.... still waiting.  Nothing. 

Here is the scenario with Yarran.

I don't work hard enough.
I am not fit enough.
I don't chase hard enough.
I don't commit myself to the contest.
I put my interest before the team.
I don't respond to a challenge.

It's your fault.

Chris Yarran is epidemic of what's is wrong at Carlton Football Club across the board.  

Easier to point the finger at someone else rather than stepping up yourself.

Reply #102
Chris Yarran is epidemic of what's is wrong at Carlton Football Club across the board.  

So if he is part of a widespread epidemic, why is he being treated differently to the rest of the offenders? That's my point, if MM is going to challenge players publicly, how about not picking and choosing, how about throwing a blanket over the lot and telling them all to pull their socks up. The way he's playing it is way wrong AFAIC. And if he's for real Yarran will be dropped this week, if he isn't it's a sure fire sign that even Malthouse knows he erred earlier in the year.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #103

So if he is part of a widespread epidemic, why is he being treated differently to the rest of the offenders? That's my point, if MM is going to challenge players publicly, how about not picking and choosing, how about throwing a blanket over the lot and telling them all to pull their socks up. The way he's playing it is way wrong AFAIC. And if he's for real Yarran will be dropped this week, if he isn't it's a sure fire sign that even Malthouse knows he erred earlier in the year.

How is he being treated differently?

How many other players have been named the sub?  19.   How many have sooked it up?  One.   If Lucas sooked it up then he gets the same treatment.   But he hasn't.

Murphy copped it Saturday night.   Betts also.    What has Yarran had to deal with that has made it so hard for him?

Reply #104

So how is Yarran different to anyone else. Why is he Malthouse's scapegoat? He blamed the loss to the Scum on him. Malthouse is picking and choosing who he goes for, just like EB accuses Yarran of picking and choosing when he goes. Hypocrite much? What's good for Yazz is good for everyone else, how about singling out a few others Malthouse. How about Murphy's pi55weak efforts to tackle earlier in the year? Bryce's lack of heart? He's probably worried he may 'lose' these players if he goes after them but I get the feeling he never really liked yarran anyway and is happy to risk him. Unfortunately, it's had the domino effect with his fellow 'Amigos' and backfired on him.

Malthouse knows a bit more about sending a message to a playing group than we do, and I think that our allegiance to this playing group is not worth it for ANY of them, and Im backing the coach.  This mob failed to extract a digit to beat the competitions whipping boys last season and ultimately ousted a club legend as coach in the process.  Side with them if you like, but for me its line in the sand time with the playing group.  Why?  Because they continually fail to draw the line themselves, and decide that they leave it to others.  So Malthouse and I are drawing the line for them.

You can tow the line and play Malthouse football or you can feck off, and that starts with Chris Judd and finished with Marcus Davies, and goes through every player in between.

Its time we did the right thing rather than stick with fickle talent.  After all, Geelong were able to lose Gary Ablett Junior, and go on to win another flag.  Hawthorn sacrificed Gary Ablett Senior and setup their team for 5 premierships.  Perhaps Yarran will be the catalyst in our team transforming into a truly galvanised unit. 

Then and only then should we worry about whether or not the coach is worth the money we are paying him.

This isnt about him being treated differently, this is about treating them all the same.  He may be starting with Yarran as he might be the toughest nut to crack.  Perhaps it might be that despite what we think, he might never be the sort of player that we need him to be.  Who knows?  I bet you the coach has more of an idea than we do.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson