Skip to main content
Topic: Bali 9 thoughts (Read 44344 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Bali 9 thoughts

Reply #15
How is it poor form? One of the drug mules parents went to the AFP because they knew what was going to happen. Instead of stopping it Mick Keelty allows them to go over there and informs the Indonesian Government of what is going on, effectively signing their death warrant. Do we have capital punishment or not?Seems like Keelty took the law into his own hands. Keelty is a flog, the fact that he went back and plead with the government to let them come home shows that he himself understands how bad he forked up. Do you guys understand how this looks? We send them to their death and then turn around and ask the Indonesian Government to show mercy? Amateur hour in Australia. And then let's not forget the hundreds of millions of taxpayer's money we donate to the country every year. And of course they release some of the prisoners involved in the Bali Bombings. They must be laughing their heads off at us. We certainly have  zero credibility in that country's eyes.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #16
@ Carrots

Just what is your real problem with blokes called Mick?  ;)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #17
:))
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #18
I'm not sure I buy the rehabilitation angle either, if I was on death row I'd be trying to sell that impression as well...if they had got away with this crime they would
have been back for more given the money involved....
Drug dealers are serial killers under another name IMO and this was organized crime rather than a local user having to sell some stuff to get enough for his next hit....
A friend of mine works for the Federal police and he said 1 in 100 organized drug dealers get caught and thats why they play the odds......

Reply #19
I'm not sure I buy the rehabilitation angle either, if I was on death row I'd be trying to sell that impression as well...if they had got away with this crime they would
Drug dealers are serial killers under another name IMO and this was organized crime rather than a local user having to sell some stuff to get enough for his next hit....
A friend of mine works for the Federal police and he said 1 in 100 organized drug dealers get caught and thats why they play the odds......

Spot on EB.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #20
Where huge $s are involved as a potential reward for breaking the law there will always be a queue of chancers willing to take the risks involved, even if it means a possible death sentence.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #21
How is it poor form? One of the drug mules parents went to the AFP because they knew what was going to happen. Instead of stopping it Mick Keelty allows them to go over there and informs the Indonesian Government of what is going on, effectively signing their death warrant. Do we have capital punishment or not?Seems like Keelty took the law into his own hands. Keelty is a flog, the fact that he went back and plead with the government to let them come home shows that he himself understands how bad he forked up. Do you guys understand how this looks? We send them to their death and then turn around and ask the Indonesian Government to show mercy? Amateur hour in Australia. And then let's not forget the hundreds of millions of taxpayer's money we donate to the country every year. And of course they release some of the prisoners involved in the Bali Bombings. They must be laughing their heads off at us. We certainly have  zero credibility in that country's eyes.

If there is one thing SE Asian governments hate its Australia telling them what to do. 

This new president wants to show that he wont pander to Australian interests... perceived or otherwise.

While I think the death penalty is wrong its not our place to tell them to change the system.

I think that there may be more to the story than just a "dog act" perhaps there were international agreements in place? Perhaps this arrest was the final part of wider drug sting?

Reply #22
I am not a huge fan of the  death penalty, but what right do we have to tell anther country what to do or how to do it.
At best we can lobby that Indonesia change their laws, provide legal council for Aussies who might need it, and possibly provide financial support if warranted, but IMO asking for clemency is out of line.

As GIC said, when going to another country we should follow and respect their laws. Break their laws, then you abide by their justice system.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #23
I have no sympathy what so ever !! 
As a frequent traveler to the land of the Gods, if you travel to/from/within  Bali / Indonesia with drugs and are caught the consequences are well known. They took their chance, forced other into the scheme and were busted. Unfortunately the pair will pay the ultimate price for their poor judgement.

Anyway we're heading back in July, can't wait..    

Carrots, slower than escargot in garlic sauce !!

Reply #24
There's an article in the Courier Mail today about the Federal Police involvement in the case.
The AFP had to bring the Indonesians in because they couldn't carry out an undercover operation in a foreign country.
At that stage they didn't know Sukumaran was involved. He admits he knows who the Mr. Bigs are but refuses to tell anybody, so he's not completely rehabilitated at all.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #25
Would you risk the safety of your family to appease the Indonesian government, who are going to kill you anyway?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #26
Drug traffickers are scum whether they are Australian or not AFAIC, they broke the law in a land where the penalty for their crime is death, end of story. Rehabilitated my ass, I am sure they are thinking of the people who have OD'd on the fruit of their labour. They traffic products that make the users (and their families) lives hell. Having experienced my mates son die of an OD, thats who I think about, every day and when I hear similar news. Fork them, they are scum in my eyes and they will be punished accordingly by the laws of the land.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #27
So what about the government that profit off taxes for alcohol and tobacco and provide a vehicle for their supply? Two of the biggest killers in the world. Death penalty for them too?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #28
So what about the government that profit off taxes for alcohol and tobacco and provide a vehicle for their supply? Two of the biggest killers in the world. Death penalty for them too?
Alchohol and tobacco are legal, heroin is not. My father died from lung cancer after years of heavy smoking, it was his choice to consume a legal product.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #29
I'm sorry about what happened to your father, but does that mean for you it's not about being morally right? You want them executed because they broke a law.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!