Skip to main content
Topic: McGrath/Lee Disgrace (Read 24042 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: McGrath/Lee Disgrace

Reply #30
Well I must be a baddie here.
I was bought up on a farm in western Victoria when rabbits were a real menace. Before the days of myxomatosis and 1080.  Rabbits were a real pest.

I had a 410 shotgun when I was 12 and shot hundreds of rabbits.

I've also shot wild deer for the venison, one of my favourite meats.

Then there is feral pigs. Been shooting them for many years, mainly from a helicopter. Dingos and wild dogs the same.
Pigs and dogs are major pests in many part of inland Australia.

Brown snakes and taipans too.

And I don't feel bad about any of it and don't intend to stop.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #31
I was bought up on a farm in western Victoria when rabbits were a real menace. Before the days of myxomatosis and 1080.  Rabbits were a real pest.

Then there is feral pigs. Been shooting them for many years, mainly from a helicopter. Dingos and wild dogs the same.

A bit different to killing an elephant in its natural habitat ,  and I dont see you as a baddie. A family member of mine hunts wild Pigs and took me shooting years ago....he taught me how to shoot although I shot nothing that trip except targets. The smell of a shot Pig with its guts hung out didnt do much for my evening meal from memory but I dont have a problem with culling feral animals that wreck the eco system if its done in a humane manner. Shooting a Pig and letting two large Ridgeback/Mastiff dogs have their way with it though didnt impress me and the other shooter who was with us was happy to let his dogs wage war with the wounded pigs before finishing them off himself and I found that distressing to watch.

Reply #32

You must be missing something in your life. Go see a shrink would be my advice!
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #33

protecting your farm and the family

Don't think you are allowed to shoot dingos anymore though?

Reply #34

protecting your farm and the family

Don't think you are allowed to shoot dingos anymore though?
When you work on the land, you do what ever it takes to protect your crops and stock, end of story. People who don't understand this concept should go hug another tree.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #35

sandsmere, I grew up in a farming community too, where it was common for friends to go rabbit and fox shooting. I've met a number of pig shooters up here in Qld now too. I haven't done it a lot my self, but certainly don't have a problem with it as long as animals are killed as quickly and/or as humanely as possible.

The hunters I know are all well adjusted, upstanding citizens, to suggest other wise to me demonstrates a fair bit of naivety about the whole issue IMO. 

I also agree with EB2, letting dogs have their way with a wild pig is cruel to the pig.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #36
My grandfather was a dogger and he destroyed more vermin than just about anybody- camels, rabbits, dingoes, foxes, dogs, starlings, pidgeons... you name it he had a contract for it.  But the two things he taught us kids was that (1) even scabby old vermin should be dispatched promptly and cleanly and (2) no animal deserves to die for no apparent reason.  Old Alf would have been bewildered by the concept of "sporting shooting".
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #37
My Grandfather and Greatgrand father used to hunt Grizzlies on the ranch in minnesota.

Reply #38
My grandfather was a dogger and he destroyed more vermin than just about anybody- camels, rabbits, dingoes, foxes, dogs, starlings, pidgeons... you name it he had a contract for it.  But the two things he taught us kids was that (1) even scabby old vermin should be dispatched promptly and cleanly and (2) no animal deserves to die for no apparent reason.  Old Alf would have been bewildered by the concept of "sporting shooting".
This
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #39
This

Yep, I can live with that attitude as well.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #40

You must be missing something in your life. Go see a shrink would be my advice!

Spoken like a true little city kid that has seen very little except concrete and carpet.
you're the one that's missing something! Australia's a huge great country. Get out and have a look at it.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #41
Your kidding aren't you? I've been to most places in Aus and most places in the world other than Africa and Asia which don't really interest me. Seen plenty of Aus both outback and backyard. :))
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #42

Yes this is really the line, it's the same situation as those slaughter houses in the Indonesia and the lack of respect an animal gets to be considered halal(They have to be bleed if I recall). My relatives are farmers and they too have to deal with livestock and feral animals. The situation with live exports was so distressing to them they have refuse to participate, although they have no power on how intermediaries behave.

It's all about respect for nature which as a statement will surely raise the ire of vegans everywhere. But those vegans eat "certified organic" fruits and vegetables that are grown using "natural fertilizers" to sustain the soil, "natural fertilizers" that are basically dried blood and ground bones from a certified abattoir! But Sshh, don't tell anyone! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #43
I agree with Carrots on this issue.

To me the word "issue" gets used far to often - there is no issue. The only "issue" is the one you have. They didn't break any laws and if you don't like it so be it. It isn't an "issue" but an opinion and just because you have one doesn't mean it's wrong or right. This is a opportunistic media beat up in my opinion and another example of the media now making news rather than reporting news.

Reply #44
To me the word "issue" gets used far to often - there is no issue. The only "issue" is the one you have. They didn't break any laws and if you don't like it so be it. It isn't an "issue" but an opinion and just because you have one doesn't mean it's wrong or right. This is a opportunistic media beat up in my opinion and another example of the media now making news rather than reporting news.

Too true SPF.

For a few ratings and an extra copy or two these media spuds have zero morals, and why would we expect them to given that the upper levels of many corporations are flooded with sociopaths. Yet in the AFL we give them unfettered power over stuff like the umpires audio feed and we expect them to do the right thing, furthermore we allow them to broadcast opinion without redress, in effect they have zero accountability and maximum opportunity to corrupt. It is inevitable!

Let's ask Alan Jones or Andrew Bolt, we can trust them they will guide us without a beat up? ;)
The Force Awakens!