Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 20: Carlton V Bulldogs (Pre-Game) (Read 35060 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 20: Carlton V Bulldogs (Pre-Game)

Reply #60
Menzel is a first year player.  I wouldn't call a dead rubber vs the doggies a cauldron.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #61
Casboult is unlucky...I am a fan of Sam Rowe but he was ordinary last week after a quiet game the week before and I would be worried if I was Levi that Mick isnt a fan because Levi should be playing this week and I think he would be more useful vs Minson.

re: Graham....probably Menzel and Bootsma is enough kids for this week, think Graham may get a game vs the Tigers or Port.

Reply #62
Menzel is a first year player.  I wouldn't call a dead rubber vs the doggies a cauldron.

Did you watch the Doggies last week go at the Swans? They are out to prove something - I wouldn't be too scornful. Fair comment re. Menzel.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #63
Eddie named Ruck Rover.   Who said Mick doesn't have a sense of humour.

Eddies best game this year was as sub.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #64
Looks like Menzel will be sub. You can't take out 3 mids and have a mid as sub as well. I'd like to see Menzel play a full game, though.

Reply #65
Casboult is unlucky...I am a fan of Sam Rowe but he was ordinary last week after a quiet game the week before and I would be worried if I was Levi that Mick isnt a fan because Levi should be playing this week and I think he would be more useful vs Minson.

That's a bit tough EB.  From memory Rowe had around 17 hitouts at a fairly high to advantage ratio, and against top opposition.  I don't believe Casboult has ever managed that many hitouts in a game.  They're both still learning the caper but Rowe is ahead at this stage . . . and Casboult isn't dominating in the NBs.

I'd like to think that Minson will have his hands full trying to cope with Warnock rather than us worrying about bringing in a big body to bang heads with him.  Although I was impressed with the way Casboult threw his weight around against Box Hill.  It's a little bit different when it's a lot harder to get near the pill.

re: Graham....probably Menzel and Bootsma is enough kids for this week, think Graham may get a game vs the Tigers or Port.

Again, I haven't seen Graham really take the game by the scruff of the neck in the NBs, but then neither have Menzel or Bootsma.  You're right though, we can't play too many kids, even against average opposition.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #66

That's a bit tough EB.  From memory Rowe had around 17 hitouts at a fairly high to advantage ratio, and against top opposition.  I don't believe Casboult has ever managed that many hitouts in a game.  They're both still learning the caper but Rowe is ahead at this stage . . . and Casboult isn't dominating in the NBs.

I'd like to think that Minson will have his hands full trying to cope with Warnock rather than us worrying about bringing in a big body to bang heads with him.  Although I was impressed with the way Casboult threw his weight around against Box Hill.  It's a little bit different when it's a lot harder to get near the pill.

Again, I haven't seen Graham really take the game by the scruff of the neck in the NBs, but then neither have Menzel or Bootsma.  You're right though, we can't play too many kids, even against average opposition.

Fair point DJ.....I think Sam's ruck work was the best part of his game last week and he is improving in that area but I have been dissapointed in his marking down forward. he just isnt holding his marks and there isnt a lot of seconadry follow up on the ground.
He has another years contract so he has his nose in front of Levi on that score.....and Mick obviously sees something in him that Casboult doesnt have at the present.

Big test for Warnock.....Minson is a tough hombre and Robbie has had his problems with the big bodied Mumford types......needs to take some marks around the ground to dispel that theory he is just a tap ruckman.

Reply #67
Judd, Murphy, McLean, Cachia, Curnow.

That's our midfield.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #68

That's our midfield.

The midfield rotations will include Scotland, Curnow, Betts, Garlett, Yarran, Armfield and Simpson.  Not too shabby.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #69
Lucas is unlucky...didnt think he was too bad as the sub and contested better than some of his mates when he came on. I dont call that great selection work at all.

Robbo is one of Mick s whipping boys and I reckon is on shaky ground in terms of his future...

Go back to the old site and look at the voting for our final vs WCE in 2011. Robbo almost BOG, what a fall from grace in less than a season from a very good footballer to very average footballer. Mick's working his magic on the team.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #70
Rowe stunk last week - got into position to mark and dropped about 15 I reckon.  As a result our forward line was ineffective.  Staggered he gets a run this week.

Disappointed for what Robbo brings, but he has played poorly this  year and looks to be lost... zero composure with the ball.   I don't know if he is playing where he should be either - forward with stints in the guts  IMO.   I still reckon Mick should put another year into him and play him as a defensive forward/changing mid..
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #71
McInnes should be in our starting 22 each week.  Can't understand why Graham wasn't named... season is over, why not reward a kid for decent form when others have packed up for the year.

I'm thinking it's a fitness issues for both of them. Mick said after the nth game that they'd asked a lot of mciness, coming back in after hid knee op. Based on that, they probably want him to have 2-3 gamed back in the 2's before bringing him in. He's definitely in micks plans I'd say.

With graham they probably just want him to keep playing well in the 2's and not rush him into the seniors for fear of breaking down again.

Reply #72
Patience guys.  One thing Mick is good at is making sure players are ready when they come in. 

Andy Mac has proven that he is a useful addition, and will play more often than not.

Graham will get his chance eventually.  We are too eager to baptise players by fire, when you can easily burn them if not careful.  They need to earn their stripes in more ways that just wracking up touches for the Northern Blues. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #73

That's our midfield.

The midfield rotations will include Scotland, Curnow, Betts, Garlett, Yarran, Armfield and Simpson.  Not too shabby.

2 out of form small forward he get knocked over in a breeze, our oldest player whose lost 3 yards of pace, a reformed unaccountable wingman playing his best in defence and a guy who gives his all but maybe as had over 20 Possessions 5 times.

Sorry if I don't hold your optimism.

"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #74
Patience guys.  One thing Mick is good at is making sure players are ready when they come in. 

Andy Mac has proven that he is a useful addition, and will play more often than not.

Graham will get his chance eventually.  We are too eager to baptise players by fire, when you can easily burn them if not careful.  They need to earn their stripes in more ways that just wracking up touches for the Northern Blues. 

I'd hardly call the Bulldogs a baptism by fire though, it's a perfect opportunity for him to play. I still think Yarran wont play and someone (hopefully Graham) will come in.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!