Skip to main content
Topic: Marc Murphy launches a defence of his season and vows to break free of tags (Read 21153 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Marc Murphy launches a defence of his season and vows to break free of tags

Reply #15
Murf's been getting his knee drained after every match. This points to a structural problem that won't get better on its own.

Reply #16
Murf's been getting his knee drained after every match. This points to a structural problem that won't get better on its own.

Sounds like something Kreuzer was doing last season and he continued to be flogged here. I also remember him having a knee reconstruction too. Not forgetting his issues with his hip. Ooops sorry I forgot to say poor Marc and his knee and his cheekbone.

Season gone. Get him off and get him better. Bring Graham and any other new kids who need a run. In fact get any player off who is underdone. They are not helping us win games. They are in fact costing us games. Give the Captains hat to Simpson. Give him back some respect for how he has turned his season around. A thank you for his work rate of late.

Don't get me wrong here guys. I love Marc to bits. I hope he gets better and past his best which he will execute in the future. He hasn't even seen his true, full potential. Just won't be reading way too many Poor Marc stories, when others before him have had bad runs of luck and have not always had supporters, media and others give them a break. When they have bad patches, they are labelled bad number 1 draft picks. Get better soon Murphs. Tell your coach you can't play FFS. Grow a pair and tell him you don't want to let the squad down. Its considered tough to play with pain. Its considered selfish to play for the sake of playing and letting others carry the workload. If this is true Mick, cut him some bloody slack. He'll pay you back twice and three times in return.

Sorry Marc, I didn't mean to pay out on you. I'm just angry Special-K wasn't given much slack in his times of hidden injuries.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #17
Boomer Harvey was in a similar position to Marc Murphy....heavily tagged and bullied off the ball, he chose to run his opponents off their legs and give some stick back to his taggers. Being very small though sometimes he couldnt physically respond but thats where the likes of Carey, Archer and crew stepped in to deal with taggers who over stepped the line.

Murphy cant run his opponets into the ground anymore because his knee isnt right and he doesnt have any cover on the ground because we are not an aggressive team in terms of looking after your teammates..

Both of the above have to to change for Murphy to be a topline player again....he needs resting to get his knee right and we need to recruit or develop some enforcers around the ball.......players like Crowley need to be dealt with around stoppages...legally but forcefully.

Reply #18

Sounds like something Kreuzer was doing last season and he continued to be flogged here. I also remember him having a knee reconstruction too. Not forgetting his issues with his hip. Ooops sorry I forgot to say poor Marc and his knee and his cheekbone.

Season gone. Get him off and get him better. Bring Graham and any other new kids who need a run. In fact get any player off who is underdone. They are not helping us win games. They are in fact costing us games. Give the Captains hat to Simpson. Give him back some respect for how he has turned his season around. A thank you for his work rate of late.

Don't get me wrong here guys. I love Marc to bits. I hope he gets better and past his best which he will execute in the future. He hasn't even seen his true, full potential. Just won't be reading way too many Poor Marc stories, when others before him have had bad runs of luck and have not always had supporters, media and others give them a break. When they have bad patches, they are labelled bad number 1 draft picks. Get better soon Murphs. Tell your coach you can't play FFS. Grow a pair and tell him you don't want to let the squad down. Its considered tough to play with pain. Its considered selfish to play for the sake of playing and letting others carry the workload. If this is true Mick, cut him some bloody slack. He'll pay you back twice and three times in return.

Sorry Marc, I didn't mean to pay out on you. I'm just angry Special-K wasn't given much slack in his times of hidden injuries.

If true (not questioning you, BB), this is deplorable. It is one of the great truisms of footy - do not take blokes who 'too' injured into games. Marc Murph... shut up and rule yourself out. Sometimes the ultimate team thing is to realise you're not up to it and say so. MM, if you're playing this bloke with this knowledge - stop! Stop being pigheaded and take a risk - give Bell, Graham or O'Keefe the challenge. If it means we write off 2013, so be it. The long term benefits will be worth it.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #19
Ok if he's Injured then be needs to sit out. But in saying that he must play this week and use it to finally show his taggers that he won't take any sh1t anymore.
So the first person that gives him a cheapy to the mid section, he should turn around and Barry hall them. Give himself 4-5 weeks suspension but show the footy world that he ain't gonna take sh1t anymore from anyone. Show everyone u can be a loose cannon if pushed too far and it might make them think twice about taking cheap shots at u throughout games. I know if it was me, id make an example of someone and land a good four or five on their chin and then take a holiday. 
Make a stand Marc and then have a rest. Come back next year fit and fresh. This season is done.

Reply #20
Ok if he's Injured then be needs to sit out. But in saying that he must play this week and use it to finally show his taggers that he won't take any sh1t anymore.
So the first person that gives him a cheapy to the mid section, he should turn around and Barry hall them. Give himself 4-5 weeks suspension but show the footy world that he ain't gonna take sh1t anymore from anyone. Show everyone u can be a loose cannon if pushed too far and it might make them think twice about taking cheap shots at u throughout games. I know if it was me, id make an example of someone and land a good four or five on their chin and then take a holiday. 
Make a stand Marc and then have a rest. Come back next year fit and fresh. This season is done.

As much as this sounds like a good idea, its probably not.  Its a sure fire way to guarantee he gets extra attention because he might lose focus.  The only way to beat a tagger, is to run them into the ground, and put in a good performance despite the attention.

Anything else just gives them a win.  Unfortunately there is no easy way to beat a tagger except to reinforce that its going to be a very difficult time to be a tagger and run with me.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #21
So the first person that gives him a cheapy to the mid section, he should turn around and Barry hall them. Give himself 4-5 weeks suspension but show the footy world that he ain't gonna take sh1t anymore from anyone.

I wouldn't expect whacking someone is going to stop the tactic. The worst case scenario is if he does that then plays a crape game. He'll subject himself to career full of the stuff. Nothing Murphy can do that will stop it, the good players cop it, go hard at the ball and get on with it instead of shrinking into their shell. 

He need support but he also needs to show that he can play even with the physical attention.

Reply #22
So the first person that gives him a cheapy to the mid section, he should turn around and Barry hall them. Give himself 4-5 weeks suspension but show the footy world that he ain't gonna take sh1t anymore from anyone.

I wouldn't expect whacking someone is going to stop the tactic. The worst case scenario is if he does that then plays a crape game. He'll subject himself to career full of the stuff. Nothing Murphy can do that will stop it, the good players cop it, go hard at the ball and get on with it instead of shrinking into their shell. 

He need support but he also needs to show that he can play even with the physical attention.

There's two ways to beat a tagger:

Run very hard and run them into the ground (usually takes effect midway through the third quarter)

Win your own contested ball/hard ball gets and  make tackling the opposition your focus (no way a tagger can stop you from tackling)
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #23
Close checking from a tagger is one thing. It's fine to keep body contact on your opponent and wear them like a glove. And like all good mids, it's an occupational hazard and Murf needs to get better at dealing with it.

The scragging, pinching, punching etc. is another thing altogether and needs to be addressed asap.

And how about the other guys giving Murf a chop out or a block once in a blue moon ?

Reply #24
Yeah he'll need his teammates help to do this.  The sad thing is this shouldn't need to be said... it should be instinctive and non-negotiable that you protect your teammates, lay blocks and dish out bumps to taggers at every opportunity... especially to help your captain. 

We had a bit of a crack with this vs the Saints when Geary wore some heavy hits from the boys but even then it had to be spelt out to them (Scotto giving them a spray at half time asking who was dealing with Geary). 

If instilling this sort of attitude into our players is all MM does I'll be happy (well this and a flag or two some time soon  O0 ) but it will be hard.  How much 'help' did Judd receive over the last 5 years?? He was in the top few players in the comp AND our captain yet we still failed to protect him.  Time for MM to belt the 'nice' off some of the baggers!!  >:D  
Reality is an illusion, caused by a lack of alcohol...

Reply #25
Murphy and Judd were held off the ball all night against Freo but the umpires simply won't police the rule. 
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #26
Robert Harvey used to burn off taggers with pure gut running.   Hard when you train once a week with a dodgy knee.

Reply #27
Robert Harvey used to burn off taggers with pure gut running.   Hard when you train once a week with a dodgy knee.

For sure. If I was in Murph's position I'd be doing my utmost to win some contested ball or if not at least make sure I'm laying some tackles and applying pressure at the stoppages. If he's out there as captain he needs to have some sort of influence on the game.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #28
I asked Braddles this very question at a function last year, he said:
"Run till your mans tongue is hanging out of this mouth, then run harder"
Braddles told me he used to run (ie train) 365 days of the year and still does. Thats dedication and thats how its done my friends.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #29
I asked Braddles this very question at a function last year, he said:
"Run till your mans tongue is hanging out of this mouth, then run harder"
Braddles told me he used to run (ie train) 365 days of the year and still does. Thats dedication and thats how its done my friends.

At the peak of his career he could have been described as a OCD, he is alleged to have asked his manager if he was getting too fat to continue playing!
The Force Awakens!