Skip to main content
Topic: Trumpled (Alternative Leading) (Read 384812 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: US Presidential Election 2016

Reply #30
bloomberg smells blood.
more than likely will throw his hat in the ring as an independent if trump gets nominated.
Watch the oil that lubes the propaganda machine then , the special interests groups
will fund a campaign unseen in history - all the cards in the deck will be used by these hyenas and jackals
For those of you that dont have your heads in orifices of the kardashians et al, its going to be turbulent

Reply #31
I wouldn't panic re: Trump until he gets the nomination. He could still flame out.

If he gets it, it will be like watching a car crash. He doesn't have to play by the rules. He would be saying and doing some outrageous things.

Also have to keep in mind that not all of the US are redneck idiots. Trump would still need to win the big states like NY, California etc... The republicans have struggled to get votes outside of their shrinking base in the past two elections.

So even if he gets it, I don't think he could win.

If he did win, then panic would be an understatement.

Depends how many vote, the USA system makes it harder for the poor, working class to vote, paying for/providing ID puts the low income potential voter off voting...I think Trump will win nomination
but not the big job unless there is a massive terror attack in the States or some other disaster that he can milk panicked voters for support...

Reply #32
The Republican powerbrokers don't want Trump and they'll make sure he isn't nominated.

Unlike the other candidates, Trump has never pledged not to run as an independent and I reckon he will.  That will split the conservative vote.

The US senate recently voted that climate change isn't a product of human activity (I understand they're voting soon on the rediculous notion that the earth isn't flat) so anything is possible.  However, as we elected Tony Abbott as PM, we're not really in a position to throw stones  ::)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #33
EB, unfortunately it's not the US voting system - each State is responsible for passing voting laws and setting up the electoral machinery.  In fact, different laws can be found at the local level within States. Republican states have been very active in passing laws that make it more difficult for the poor, the working class and minorities to vote.  The Republicans are well aware that their heartland is shrinking and their only chance to compete is by stopping the Democratic-friendly groups from voting.  In particular those States love banning those who've ever been in jail and sometimes those who've been on probation - as black Americans are over-represented before the courts, that works in favour of the Republicans.  The election is held on the first Tuesday in November so that workers find it difficult to vote.  Voters are often confronted by ridiculously long queues that send a message that it's not worth joining the queue.  Staff at voting stations sometimes try to persuade voters to go home without voting.  Voter registration requirements hit the poor or low-wage workers harder as do the complications of re-registration requirements when voters change address.  By requiring voters to pay for photo IDs and provide extensive proof of residence, the homeless and the poor often give up.  Immigrants who sometimes have to wait for 8-10 years for citizenship are barred from voting.

Then you have the fiasco of the stupid hole-punch machines used by Florida which enabled Jeb Bush to give his brother his first term in office by discounting hanging chads and the like.

It's not a system which encourages universal suffrage.

Reply #34
EB, unfortunately it's not the US voting system - each State is responsible for passing voting laws and setting up the electoral machinery.  In fact, different laws can be found at the local level within States. Republican states have been very active in passing laws that make it more difficult for the poor, the working class and minorities to vote.  The Republicans are well aware that their heartland is shrinking and their only chance to compete is by stopping the Democratic-friendly groups from voting.  In particular those States love banning those who've ever been in jail and sometimes those who've been on probation - as black Americans are over-represented before the courts, that works in favour of the Republicans.  The election is held on the first Tuesday in November so that workers find it difficult to vote.  Voters are often confronted by ridiculously long queues that send a message that it's not worth joining the queue.  Staff at voting stations sometimes try to persuade voters to go home without voting.  Voter registration requirements hit the poor or low-wage workers harder as do the complications of re-registration requirements when voters change address.  By requiring voters to pay for photo IDs and provide extensive proof of residence, the homeless and the poor often give up.  Immigrants who sometimes have to wait for 8-10 years for citizenship are barred from voting.

Then you have the fiasco of the stupid hole-punch machines used by Florida which enabled Jeb Bush to give his brother his first term in office by discounting hanging chads and the like.

It's not a system which encourages universal suffrage.

Yep Agree Mav, you have put it together better than I could...you would think one of the most important jobs in the world would have a more refined and smooth system in the land of the free to elect a leader but its a corrupt mess that could lead to a ego maniac like Trump winning by default...

Reply #37
If Trump becomes the President of the USA, I am moving to the moon.......
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #38
If Trump becomes the President of the USA, I am moving to the moon.......

Well it was predicted on the Simpsons

Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #39
For the life of me I just can't see the next President among any of them.

If I had to guess I'd say it will be Rubio.

Reply #40
Hilary's chances of becoming the first female president are skyrocketing.  I wonder what mischief Bill will get up to as the first bloke?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #41
Hilary's chances of becoming the first female president are skyrocketing.  I wonder what mischief Bill will get up to as the first bloke?

I'm not so sure...there's few little time bombs ticking away for her...just bubbling along.
While she may not face criminal charges they have the potential to weaken her if the Republicans can give them legs.

Interesting....these graphs are the amalgamation of a number of polls.

(just a caution when viewing the graphs the Clinton/Rubio starts a little earlier than the Clinton/Trump but it's the end point that's significant.)

Reply #42
I feel a bit sorry for the Yanks: I can't think of a less impressive set of politicians for them to vote for. Hilary Clinton does not impress me (She's very ordinary and is like Collingwood - either totally loved or loathed), but Trump is unbelievable. He is a nightmare waiting to happen.

Mind you, we can't talk much. Our last 3 PMs have been among the least impressive in history. But even they would be less dreadful than the field the Americans appear to have.
What has happened to the Robert Menzies or Mal Frasers of this world?
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #43

Take up cigars again?  :)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #44
Take up cigars again?  :)

Apparently, the husband of a female president will be called "the First Gentleman"  ::)