Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 9; Pre Game Preparations: Carlton vs Fremantle (Read 15871 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 9; Pre Game Preparations: Carlton vs Fremantle

Reply #30
Jones has been dominate down back and in the Ruck for the NB's (so i hear). Great stuff from him.

But where does he fit in the Senior Side? Marchbank, Plowman, Rowe and ASOS are all locks. White is the one in trouble maybe, be plays a more of a floating role on talls and smalls, which i don't think Jones can do.

If White went out I would be putting Weiters back to get some confidence up again, hence would have to play Liam forward which i wouldn't do.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #31
Jones has been dominate down back and in the Ruck for the NB's (so i hear). Great stuff from him.

But where does he fit in the Senior Side? Marchbank, Plowman, Rowe and ASOS are all locks. White is the one in trouble maybe, be plays a more of a floating role on talls and smalls, which i don't think Jones can do.

If White went out I would be putting Weiters back to get some confidence up again, hence would have to play Liam forward which i wouldn't do.

I'd rest Weitering, the rest is up to the coaches!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #32
Super form line continues........ 13 disposals. Says it all. It's the same old problem for Jones. He's always struggled to get more than about 10 possessions in a game. He had a game the other week where he had about 20 which was amazing but he's reverted back to type.

17 games for Carlton - double digits possies 3 times only.

I hate to be negative on a guy who has some ability but I'd still rather see McKay / Kerr / Korcheck / Phillips play an AFL game.

McKay/Kerr yes, Korchek/Phillips no.

Reply #33
Weits and Jack not far off to be leading club goal kicking award why rest him

Reply #34
FREMANTLE
In: S.Hill, T.Sheridan, N.Suban
Out: -

CARLTON
In: D.Armfield, B.Boekhorst, D.Cuningham, L.Jones
Out: S.White (Omitted)

INTERCHANGE

32 Nick Graham
39 Dale Thomas
31 Tom Williamson
27 Dennis Armfield
14 Liam Jones
12 Blaine Boekhorst
28 David Cuningham

Reply #35
He's been such a warrior for us, White, but it is logical for him to be the only out, especially with the inclusion of the quicker and cleaner ACOS. Can't really have White and ACOS at the same time in the seniors now.

Of the 7 interchange blokes named I reckon Daisy is the only definite.

You'd think that Liam Jones would be the logical replacement for White.

You could also mount a case for either Boekhorst (WA boy) or Cuningham replacing Graham due to their speed over the grass on the big Subiaco ground.

Interesting that two WA boys have been included (Boekhorst and Den Den)... Favour for Den Den so he visit the family... and be the emergency?

Hard to see both Willo and Jones being on the bench... one will be down back for the NBs on Saturday (or maybe White fills the vacancy down back in the NBs?)

Be really interesting to see the final side tomorrow at 5. And to see who runs out for the NBs on Saturday.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #36
If White is out then I suspect Liam may well be in.

I reckon both Daisy and Graham will be included - Graham was OK v. the Saints IMO and his disposal seems to have improved markedly. It was his lovely kick to set up Cripps before he decided to trip over himself.

Be interesting to see who the other one is.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #37
Carlton

B: Lachie Plowman, Sam Rowe, Caleb Marchbank.
HB: Kade Simpson, Alex Silvagni, Ed Curnow.
C: Sam Docherty, Patrick Cripps, Bryce Gibbs.
HF: Sam Petrevski-Seton, Jacob Weitering, Matthew Wright.
F: Zac Fisher, Jack Silvagni, Matthew Kreuzer.
R: Levi Casboult, Charlie Curnow, Marc Murphy.
Int: Nick Graham, Dale Thomas, Tom Williamson, Dennis Armfield, Liam Jones, Blaine Boekhorst, David Cuningham (Three to be omitted)

In: Dennis Armfield, Liam Jones, Blaine Boekhorst, David Cuningham.

Out: Simon White (Omitted)

With the game being late on Sunday, all 3 emergencies will travel to Perth. That will be, and should be, seen for what it is: a reward for effort for some of these guys. I don't think Dennis will play, but any of the others could. I guess we'll find out on Saturday morning. But I really expect all 3 emergencies to miss the VFL.

Fremantle

B: Garrick Ibbotson, Joel Hamling, Lee Spurr.
HB: Lachie Weller, Michael Johnson, Cameron Sutcliffe.
C: Stephen Hill, Lachie Neale, Bradley Hill.
HF: Hayden Crozier, Connor Blakely, Michael Walters.
F: Matt Taberner, Cam McCarthy, Shane Kersten.
R: Aaron Sandilands, Nat Fyfe, David Mundy.
Int: Ethan Hughes, Darcy Tucker, Tommy Sheridan, Nick Suban, Danyle Pearce, Brady Grey, Ed Langdon  (Three to be omitted)

Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #38
I like the "ins" whilst Jones and Army are both almost certainly gone at the end of the year, from all reports (Jones in particular), they have earned a chance.

Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #39
I like the "ins" whilst Jones and Army are both almost certainly gone at the end of the year, from all reports (Jones in particular), they have earned a chance.

Rumour is Jones is close to getting another contract based on current VFL form alone.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #40
I'm, prepared to give Jones a second go in footy, Leigh Brown was a spud at Nth but became a good player at Collingwood and part of a successful period...we need another bigger swingman like Brown who can play a few roles and I'd be giving Jones a series of games to show what he has..

Reply #41
I'm, prepared to give Jones a second go in footy, Leigh Brown was a spud at Nth but became a good player at Collingwood and part of a successful period...we need another bigger swingman like Brown who can play a few roles and I'd be giving Jones a series of games to show what he has..

Agree. I was always keen on White going out and Jones coming in.

From the listed interchange players - it's a bit of a difficult one, bit I would definitely keep Tom Williamson in and play David Cuningham.

I would not play Dennis Armfield, so it comes down to Liam Jones, Nick Graham, Blaine Boekhorst and Dale Thomas taking the other two spots for mine.

Not sure how far Boekhorst ahs come, but his form line along with Jones and Cuningham in the VFL has been good for a number of weeks.

I'm not sold on Thomas playing over there, probably Graham too, but you have to be careful with chopping 'role' players if they keep the structures right.

Reply #42
I think it will be Boekhorst for White as the only change.
Jones doesn't really have a spot while Casboult is in the side, I watched the VFL and Armfield was just Armfield and no more, slightly above VFL standard but short of AFL, Cunningham was OK but nothing to get excited about although he'll get a shot at a senior game sooner or later.
Boekhorst was outstanding, Jaksch was very good as well and I'm surprised that he hasn't been considered.
White is only a battler and his foot skills are poor, I've wondered how he's played every game so far this year to be honest. 
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #43
Thomas is one of those players who works his dot off and if he isn't paid the respect he deserves will hurt you because he works really hard between the arcs.  He is much easier to stop these days than he used to be, but even when time is put into stopping him, it means someone else is able to play freely.

Graham is another one in this category although he has a bit more ability to play inside the contest, which is a positive and a negative.  He is not a very big midfielder, and against the Freo mids, he might find the going tough to compete with the likes of Mundy and Fyfe who are taller and more mobile around the ground.

Boekhorst is a much more outside player than the aforementioned, and I dont believe is in the same category for workrate.  He is one that can be more dangerous drifting forward and has a bit more leg speed than the above as well as possibly being the more skillful of this lot.

Armfield.  Started the year poorly, but that might have been an interrupted preparation as his VFL form of late hasnt been that strong.  He might give it away or he might have just recovered fitness and reignite his career.  We will find out soon.

Jones.  Strong VFL form has seen him come into the equation for selection.  White has been playing more small, so it wouldn't make sense to put him out for a tall given the weather. I don't think we will make too many other changes and I don't really see a match up for Jones in the Freo forward line so unless we are thinking of giving Kreuzer some help against Sandilands or needing to stretch freos defense, I cant see Jones playing.

Given White is the omission, I'm inclined to think that we have picked some flexible options for our ins.  Good weather might see Jones play, but if its going to be wet and dirty football, I think Armfield will get the nod in place of Simon White given that we are taking an experienced player out of the side.  I know we need to be future proofing, but I just cannot see us going to young anymore.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #44
Carlton

B: Lachie Plowman, Sam Rowe, Caleb Marchbank.
HB: Kade Simpson, Alex Silvagni, Ed Curnow.
C: Sam Docherty, Patrick Cripps, Bryce Gibbs.
HF: Sam Petrevski-Seton, Jacob Weitering, Matthew Wright.
F: Zac Fisher, Jack Silvagni, Matthew Kreuzer.
R: Levi Casboult, Charlie Curnow, Marc Murphy.
Int: Nick Graham, Dale Thomas, Tom Williamson, Dennis Armfield, Liam Jones, Blaine Boekhorst, David Cuningham (Three to be omitted)

In: Dennis Armfield, Liam Jones, Blaine Boekhorst, David Cuningham.

Out: Simon White (Omitted)

With the game being late on Sunday, all 3 emergencies will travel to Perth. That will be, and should be, seen for what it is: a reward for effort for some of these guys. I don't think Dennis will play, but any of the others could. I guess we'll find out on Saturday morning. But I really expect all 3 emergencies to miss the VFL.

Fremantle

B: Garrick Ibbotson, Joel Hamling, Lee Spurr.
HB: Lachie Weller, Michael Johnson, Cameron Sutcliffe.
C: Stephen Hill, Lachie Neale, Bradley Hill.
HF: Hayden Crozier, Connor Blakely, Michael Walters.
F: Matt Taberner, Cam McCarthy, Shane Kersten.
R: Aaron Sandilands, Nat Fyfe, David Mundy.
Int: Ethan Hughes, Darcy Tucker, Tommy Sheridan, Nick Suban, Danyle Pearce, Brady Grey, Ed Langdon  (Three to be omitted)

Not sure Josh Fraser would be happy losing a couple of guys as backups to the backup, especially against a strong outfit like Sandy. I know the seniors must come first but Fraser really is building a ripper culture at the NBs and should be supported where practical.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17