Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2017: Rd 6: Northern Blues vs Sandringham at Preston (Read 11196 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2017: Rd 6: Northern Blues vs Sandringham at Preston

Reply #15
DISPOSALS: Palmer 30, Jones 26, Russell 26, Smedts 25, Buckley 25, Sheehan 24, Polson 24, White 24.

GOALS: Armfield 2, Corboy 2, Gallucci 2, Lamb 2, Phillips 2, Gorringe, McKay, Palmer, Polson, Russell, Smedts, Sumner

Looks like Jones got plenty of it.

Reply #16
Win, lose or draw v Freo, sounds like Jones has to get a game next week.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #17
AFL Vic Development League 2017
Northern Blues   4.5  5.6  11.9  11.9 (75)
Sandringham   1.1  2.3  4.4  9.8 (62)

GOALS:
Northern Blues: Milham 2 Stavrou  Krithararis  Barrett  Pearce  Fowler  Declase  Romero  Maibaum  Casley
Sandringham: Fisscher 3 Dobosz 2 Cathcart 2 Lopo  Monkhorst

BEST:
Northern Blues: Stevens Milham Casley Pearce Declase Keppel
Sandringham: Grace Laumets Atkins Fisscher Wallace Gogis
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #18

Peter Jackson VFL 2017
Northern Blues   4.1  9.5  11.5  17.11 (113)
Sandringham   7.3  8.8  8.14  10.15 (75)

GOALS:
Northern Blues: Gallucci 2 Armfield 2 Phillips 2 Corboy 2 Lamb 2 Smedts  Palmer  Gorringe  Polson  Russell Sumner  McKay
Sandringham: Savage 2 Answerth  Bruce  Rice  O'Kearney  Battle  Lonie  Pierce  Long

BEST:
Northern Blues: Jones Palmer Russell O'Shea Phillips Smedts
Sandringham: Savage Rice O'Kearney Hayes Weickhardt Answerth
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #19
Win, lose or draw v Freo, sounds like Jones has to get a game next week.
\

He deserves it for effort....but who does he replace?
He's been in good form as a backman but we have so many that one of our best is playing forward.
Play Jones forward and he'll probably just reproduce his past efforts in that role.

Reply #20
Yeah if I am true to how I want the club to improve I think I am on a similar page Lods
I don't think Jones is the future and he can only get games if he is replacing another older backman, not replacing youth. If not he needs to bide his time performing in the twos.

He cannot be brought in to play as a forward ever again.

In saying that if he keeps performing the way he is reported to be playing then one of our other back will simply have to make way
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #21
Just read elsewhere that he may have copped an injury towards the end of today's game :(

Reply #22
Great to see NB's and Development sides winning.
NB's performances seems a real indication the club's strengthening. At long last....

Sounds like NB's were strong fighting back from behind. Great to hear Gussy, Jones, Sumner, and Smedts playing well. This must create a great competitive environment for senior selection.

I realize Jones won't play v freo, but he really earned the respect of his teammates in this game last year. He was the difference when the heat was on. Hope he gets a shot as soon as there's an opening.

Congratulations

Go Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #23
NBs 3 pts up at half time. About a 3-4 goal wind which we had that qtr.
Better players - Phillips, Lamb, Jones, Polson, H,  Jakach, Gussy....

Bumped into RR who has contributed to the better players!!!

One of the most dominant performances I have seen from a tall defender and, although it looked like it, he wasn't playing loose man in defence. He simply zoned off his opponent but always managed to have the closing speed to get to the contest.

When the ball was in the air, Jones got to the contest to mark it (one grab) or punch it.

When his opponent was on the lead, he had the closing speed to spoil.

When it was on the ground he had the speed to get to the contest to impact the ball or an opponent (many of whom were strongly impacted).

When he had the ball in hand, he executed the 'don't argue' and/or delivered the ball to a teammate.

A couple of years ago, Baggers and I expressed the view that Jones had all of the tools to become a key defender. We were patting each other on the back today.

Having said that, I can't see him forcing his way into the senior team unless Rowe or Marchbank falter.

Reply #24
Where's Pickett?
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #25
Where's Pickett?

Didn't play and neither did Kerr.

Can only add a little to what RR said re Jones. He was simply impassable. Hopefully the limping off late in the game is not too serious. Based on what I've seen from Jones this year we'd be crazy to delist him. If Rowe, Marchbank, Plowman, Willo or Weitering go down this bloke is ready... in fact with his closing speed and excellent reading of the play he's pressing too hard to resist. He's a defender. If we delist him another AFL club will swoop and he'll end up being a key defender and doing well some place else. The bloke could play on a quick 193 cm forward or a 200 cm key forward.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #26
Didn't play and neither did Kerr.

Can only add a little to what RR said re Jones. He was simply impassable. Hopefully the limping off late in the game is not too serious. Based on what I've seen from Jones this year we'd be crazy to delist him. If Rowe, Marchbank, Plowman, Willo or Weitering go down this bloke is ready... in fact with his closing speed and excellent reading of the play he's pressing too hard to resist. He's a defender. If we delist him another AFL club will swoop and he'll end up being a key defender and doing well some place else. The bloke could play on a quick 193 cm forward or a 200 cm key forward.

What about as a trade Baggers. Any value there? Swap him  for a forward...No doubt other clubs would be monitoring his VFL performances. The inability to break into the Carlton backline at present shouldn't count against him because it compares quite favourably to other clubs.

Reply #27
What about as a trade Baggers. Any value there? Swap him  for a forward...No doubt other clubs would be monitoring his VFL performances. The inability to break into the Carlton backline at present shouldn't count against him because it compares quite favourably to other clubs.

You wouldn't accept anything less than a good 2nd rounder for him and yes he sure has 1. Resurrected his AFL career and 2. Improved his trade value immeasurably.

Reply #28

Need to play him in the seniors if you want to trade him, he is still untested as a defender at senior level and his
trade value would be minimal unless other clubs could value him vs decent opponents.
I dont see the harm in trying him out down back, and keeping Weitering forward......not convinced Marchbank can take the big KP players so Jones might be handy...

Reply #29
DISPOSALS: Palmer 30, Jones 26, Russell 26, Smedts 25, Buckley 25, Sheehan 24, Polson 24, White 24.

GOALS: Armfield 2, Corboy 2, Gallucci 2, Lamb 2, Phillips 2, Gorringe, McKay, Palmer, Polson, Russell, Smedts, Sumner

Looks like Jones got plenty of it.

Stats can be so tricky. Looking at those you'd think that Palmer was dominant and yes, he got his hands on the aggott alot and was one of our better players but, like Buckley, if you look at effectiveness those two didn't hurt the opposition enough with their disposal whereas Jones, Smedts, Sheehan, Polson and White were all highly effective because their disposals were in a high % for effectiveness. Likewise Den Den with 2 goals, turned it over too much... how he got to be an emergency for the seniors on recent form is baffling. Many in front of him.

Polson showed us some glimpses with the terrific weaving through traffic... a couple of times were real gems.

The big picture is that the NBs have knocked off, impressively, the 4th placed side and did it coming from behind in fine, ruthless style. Great team effort... must also mention the terrific contribution from the Preston boys Wilson, OShea and Russell.