Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2017: Rd 6: Northern Blues vs Sandringham at Preston (Read 11172 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2017: Rd 6: Northern Blues vs Sandringham at Preston

Reply #45
White (unlucky to be dropped IMO), Sheehan (played a full game) and Jaksch also played very well in defence yesterday. In fact, it was probably as well as I have seen Jaksch play in defence, which might have had something to do with Jones' covering everything.

KJ has yet to demonstrate that he has overcome his limited mobility issues but he has shown enough in recent weeks to indicate that he was worth keeping on the list for at least this season.

When I could draw my focus away from the way the defenders were playing, I was captivated by Phillips' performance. Very good size, leap and mobility with a great pair of one-grab hands suggest that he just might develop into a decent ruckman. Having said that, he was schooled in the early ruck contests by Jason Holmes (#69) whose impressive palming and body positioning had me wishing he was on our list and showed up Phillips' areas that still need lots of work. Nonetheless, Phillips became more competitive in the ruck contests as the match progressed and won his share of hit outs in the second half. 

Reply #46
Rowe wont be traded IMO, he is a battler who has undergone adversity on and off the field and is universally admired for
his courage and resolve...you dont push those blokes out of your club especially when they are leaders and playing well.
Reckon it might come down to keeping one of Jaksch or Jones...on form its Jones....

re: Jason Holmes...ran into the back of my mates car a while back  down on the Nepean Highway....nice bloke according to my mate who said he did all the right things insurance wise and apologised for his lack of driving skills.

Reply #47
White (unlucky to be dropped IMO), Sheehan (played a full game) and Jaksch also played very well in defence yesterday. In fact, it was probably as well as I have seen Jaksch play in defence, which might have had something to do with Jones' covering everything.

KJ has yet to demonstrate that he has overcome his limited mobility issues but he has shown enough in recent weeks to indicate that he was worth keeping on the list for at least this season.

When I could draw my focus away from the way the defenders were playing, I was captivated by Phillips' performance. Very good size, leap and mobility with a great pair of one-grab hands suggest that he just might develop into a decent ruckman. Having said that, he was schooled in the early ruck contests by Jason Holmes (#69) whose impressive palming and body positioning had me wishing he was on our list and showed up Phillips' areas that still need lots of work. Nonetheless, Phillips became more competitive in the ruck contests as the match progressed and won his share of hit outs in the second half.

Thanks RR. Some oood news in that little lot.  :D
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #48
At this early stage of a rebuild, the performance of our 2's 3's is really encouraging. Although we'll have injuries (not too many hopefully) to cover, the good form of these guys is vital in building a highly competitive environment. This will push each player to be the best they can be.

Go new Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #49
At this early stage of a rebuild, the performance of our 2's 3's is really encouraging. Although we'll have injuries (not too many hopefully) to cover, the good form of these guys is vital in building a highly competitive environment. This will push each player to be the best they can be.

Go new Blues

X2. Love your posts Navy.

One of the few that is not all doom and gloom after a loss.

We are on the right track and our performances in the 2s is testament that we now finally have some depth and our overall list is stronger then it has been in a long time.

Reply #50

We are on the right track and our performances in the 2s is testament that we now finally have some depth and our overall list is stronger then it has been in a long time.

Fully agree.  This is the best indication in 2017 that we are on the right track.  Northern Blues are playing consistent and strong football.  Depth is building and importantly, a consistent style and method is growing across the two teams.  If the club is to build sustained success, a powerful VFL side is an essential foundation.

Reply #51
X2. Love your posts Navy
Oh stop it shawny..... That is too clever ^-^

Look at the 2s of any club pushing for sustained success. They are distinctly strong. It's how the Hawks and recently the Dogs have the depth to cover outs. I personally place a lot of weight on this factor. Remember how seamlessly those teams shuffle their 22 to optimize match ups.

Not rocket science....
If we move up the Vfl ladder significantly, and remain competitive in AFL, we're undoubtedly on the right track. Don't forget we're hitting off a sizeable handicap :( year on year of crap recruiting will do that.

It's as interesting watching the NB's performance as our 1's. I'm loving it. Great to see some games broadcast too.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #52
One of the most dominant performances I have seen from a tall defender and, although it looked like it, he wasn't playing loose man in defence. He simply zoned off his opponent but always managed to have the closing speed to get to the contest.

When the ball was in the air, Jones got to the contest to mark it (one grab) or punch it.

When his opponent was on the lead, he had the closing speed to spoil.

When it was on the ground he had the speed to get to the contest to impact the ball or an opponent (many of whom were strongly impacted).

When he had the ball in hand, he executed the 'don't argue' and/or delivered the ball to a teammate.

A couple of years ago, Baggers and I expressed the view that Jones had all of the tools to become a key defender. We were patting each other on the back today.

Having said that, I can't see him forcing his way into the senior team unless Rowe or Marchbank falter.
Unfortunately Rowe must have read your post. It is not yet determined how long he will be missing for, but he could yet be a LTI candidate. Anterior Cruciate I read this morning.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #53
did anyone else think Fyfe's actions in jumping on Rowe's leg - it wasn't really a smother was odd, and rather dangerous (as the effect has showed)?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #54
did anyone else think Fyfe's actions in jumping on Rowe's leg - it wasn't really a smother was odd, and rather dangerous (as the effect has showed)?
It is a good question.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #55
How dare you question a prospective brownlow medallist!  Expect a call from AFL house.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #56

Just look at the Box Hill performances when Hawthorn were at the top of their game.  There is a pattern.

Reply #57
We really should be going OK in the VFL, we've have virtually no injuries apart from Byrne.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #58

Not really.

Its desperation to get the ball that makes the difference between a good player and a great player.

Keep in mind he has broken his own leg twice playing this sport.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #59
We really should be going OK in the VFL, we've have virtually no injuries apart from Byrne.

Nailed it. We have the healthiest list in the AFL. Just, really, amplifies the fact of how far behind we are. The upside though is that many of our newbies get a taste of senior footy.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17