Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 10: Pre Game Palaver: Carlton vs North Melbourne (Read 21598 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 10: Pre Game Palaver: Carlton vs North Melbourne

Reply #30
Jones to replace Rowe.

Casboult needs a good game. Kicked a couple of goals again last week but he couldn't halve enough contests in the last few weeks.

Impossible to drop the only bloke kicking goals in your forward line though.

Reply #31
Yep, the Weitering forward experiment needs to be put back on the shelf once and for all IMO.

Time for a different option at CHF... Jones, Jaksch, Kerr, JGM, McKay, I don't care who, just give the side some bloody structure that gives us some hope.

Might not have done a great job so far but FFS he is 19.

Reply #32
Yep, the Weitering forward experiment needs to be put back on the shelf once and for all IMO.

Time for a different option at CHF... Jones, Jaksch, Kerr, JGM, McKay, I don't care who, just give the side some bloody structure that gives us some hope.

This is lending to the idea where we set up our spine with the young guys, Weiters, Marchbank, McKay & Kerr,  then build the team around them. Let them grow together.
We haven't had a decent spine since..... 95' IMO :o
Build it and they will come :)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #33
Jones to replace Rowe.

Casboult needs a good game. Kicked a couple of goals again last week but he couldn't halve enough contests in the last few weeks.

Impossible to drop the only bloke kicking goals in your forward line though.
That's the big conundrum we have now - the forward line is still putrid, we can't kick enough goals and we can't lock the ball in. Cas has had a couple of ok games and is our best contested mark, but over the last 2 weeks has been poor and has given away stupid free kicks as well.

My problem is we need to try something different and see what the other guys can bring if we are to create a forward line that can kick a winning score. Cas has been given a lot of chances and has shown some glimpses, but he has severe limitations that we can all see. My hope for the 2nd half of the year is that we experiment and try different combinations up forward [with and without Cas] as this is a huge problem for us going forward that we don't seem to be any closer to solving. But this week against their strong and mature defence I think we are going to need Cas to provide a physical presence.

Reply #34

I agree to a level as I think Weitering will always be a swing type player, but just as Geelong's Harry Taylor has his moments as a forward, it is clear he is the best intercept mark and defender.

Further Weitering has the potential to be a first class user of the ball delivering it into F50, which we lose when he's playing in F50.

As yet we haven't seen Weitering have a crack at goal from outside F50, which he is more than capable of doing but seems to lack the confidence at AFL level. As a 17 year old junior he was Fevola like from outside F50.

Having seen SPS, my ideal situation would be to have Weitering in the defensive zone hitting up SPS with a long low pass to deliver it into F50.

(PS: Is the Harry Taylor situation at Geelong forced because they made the decision to take Henderson?)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #35
Weitering may or may not be suited to the forwardline but to suggest it could never work is a stretch.

The game is littered with terrific forwards who started off slow, even slower than Weits.

I'm happy for the club to trial anything they like and if they think Weits can be a legit swing man they should go for it.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #36
Weitering may or may not be suited to the forwardline but to suggest it could never work is a stretch.

The game is littered with terrific forwards who started off slow, even slower than Weits.

I'm happy for the club to trial anything they like and if they think Weits can be a legit swing man they should go for it.

Yep a guy called Josh Kennedy struggled to get a senior game for a few years at CFC

Reply #37
I actually think weitering has been ok as a forward allowing Casboult to play second banana.

He's a better defender, an even better intercept mark,but he's got the ability to play as a forward and we can all see it.

He actually looks like he's been playing under duress but not significant duress which indicates he has better in him and it's possible that he was squeezed forward for that reason being we have fit alternatives in defence but none up forward.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #38
Weitering is performing better as a key forward than Shcache and Weidemann. The boy is all class.

Reply #39
Weitering is performing better as a key forward than Shcache and Weidemann. The boy is all class.

Schache is out of Brisbane and probably headed to Collingwood or Richmond and isnt even trying to get a kick in the QAFL....overated IMO, hope he joins another dud in Aish at Collingwood...

Reply #40
Backs   20. Lachie Plowman 44. Alex Silvagni 15. Sam Docherty
Half-backs   6. Kade Simpson 22. Caleb Marchbank 35. Ed Curnow
Centreline   31. Tom Williamson 9. Patrick Cripps 4. Bryce Gibbs
Half-forwards   30. Charlie Curnow 23. Jacob Weitering 46. Matthew Wright
Forwards   25. Zac Fisher 41. Levi Casboult 1. Jack Silvagni
Followers   8. Matthew Kreuzer 5. Samo Petrevski-Seton 3. Marc Murphy (C)

Interchange from:   28. David Cuningham 32. Nick Graham 19. Liam Sumner
43. Simon White 26. Harrison Macreadie 16. Billie Smedts
34. Andrew Phillips
In: White, Smedts, Sumner, Phillips, Macreadie

Out: Thomas (injured), Rowe (knee)

Reply #41
Backs   20. Lachie Plowman 44. Alex Silvagni 15. Sam Docherty
Half-backs   6. Kade Simpson 22. Caleb Marchbank 35. Ed Curnow
Centreline   31. Tom Williamson 9. Patrick Cripps 4. Bryce Gibbs
Half-forwards   30. Charlie Curnow 23. Jacob Weitering 46. Matthew Wright
Forwards   25. Zac Fisher 41. Levi Casboult 1. Jack Silvagni
Followers   8. Matthew Kreuzer 5. Samo Petrevski-Seton 3. Marc Murphy (C)

Interchange from:   28. David Cuningham 32. Nick Graham 19. Liam Sumner
43. Simon White 26. Harrison Macreadie 16. Billie Smedts
34. Andrew Phillips
In: White, Smedts, Sumner, Phillips, Macreadie

Out: Thomas (injured), Rowe (knee)
C ya Jonesy, thanks for the fish.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #43
Pity Liam Jones didn't come up (injured).
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #44
I'll go White and Smedts in from that interchange group....like to see a bit more of Sumner but probably needs another couple of good games in the NB's.
Not sure what is going on with Palmer...?