Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 10: Pre Game Palaver: Carlton vs North Melbourne (Read 21584 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 10: Pre Game Palaver: Carlton vs North Melbourne

Reply #45
I think you'll find he's injured.
My bad, didnt know. Not listed on the injury list though.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #46
To call those ins "conventional" is an understatement.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #48
Macreadie will make our backline too inexperienced. Probably White will be one of the ins.

Reply #49
Wow if there was a slap across a face Liam Jones just received one of the life time.

Looking to the future - 18 months into re build - staying the course is the correct move.

Reply #50
Apologies - just read Liam Jones is injured.

Not the best timing big fella get back out there

Reply #51
Apologies - just read Liam Jones is injured.

Not the best timing big fella get back out there

Ah! Wondered if they'd printed the wrong "Liam".
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #52
How is Sumner even in contention?? Polson should be considered ahead of him.

Reply #53

Agree - he seems to have come right out of left field.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #54
Carlton

B: Lachie Plowman, Alex Silvagni, Sam Docherty.
HB: Kade Simpson, Caleb Marchbank, Ed Curnow.
C: Tom Williamson, Patrick Cripps, Bryce Gibbs.
HF: Charlie Curnow,  Jacob Weitering, Matthew Wright.
F: Zac Fisher, Levi Casboult, Jack Silvagni.
R: Matthew Kreuzer, Sam Petrevski-Seton, Marc Murphy.
Int: David Cuningham, Nick Graham, Liam Sumner, Simon White, Harrison Macreadie, Billie Smedts, Andrew Phillips (Three to be omitted).

In: Liam Sumner, Simon White, Harrison Macreadie, Billie Smedts, Andrew Phillips.

Out: Dale Thomas (Injured), Sam Rowe (Knee)

Liam Jones' timing was bad, getting hurt last week. Hopefully he will be ready after the Bye.
I was a bit surprised that Sumner got a mention. The rest of the 'Ins' deserved a shot.
Phillips is an interesting inclusion, but I do like that he is there. I don't like having Kreuzer one out against top quality ruckmen.

North Melbourne

B: Marley Williams, Robbie Tarrant, Ed Vickers-Willis.
HB: Lachlan Hansen, Scott D. Thompson, Jamie Macmillan.
C: Sam Gibson, Ben Cunnington, Aaron Mullett.
HF: Kayne Turner, Jarrad Waite, Taylor Garner.
F: Nathan Hrovat, Ben Brown, Mason Wood.
R: Todd Goldstein, Jack Ziebell, Shaun Higgins.
Int: Jed Anderson, Andrew Swallow, Luke McDonald, Ryan Clarke, Trent Dumont, Shaun Atley, Braydon Preuss (Three to be omitted)

Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #55
My bad, didnt know. Not listed on the injury list though.

You know the ducks and drakes we play with our injuries. We all saw Liam J limp off with what appeared to be an ankle but no mention in our injury updates... pfft.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #56
I'll go White and Smedts in from that interchange group....like to see a bit more of Sumner but probably needs another couple of good games in the NB's.
Not sure what is going on with Palmer...?

Here's a curly one for ya.

Keep your Smedts, but....
Phillips instead of White (nothing against White)

Why?

In a word - Goldstein.

In a sentence. Weitering to defence, (covering for Rowe) allowing Phillips and Kreuzer to tagteam Goldstein in the ruck, while resting forward and filling Weiterings role.

Reply #57

Don't worry about Polson, he'll be getting the accolades soon enough. Got tank issues just now and we need people who can run out games.

The other reason is Sumner and Polson play different roles.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #58
Here's a curly one for ya.

Keep your Smedts, but....
Phillips instead of White (nothing against White)

Why?

In a word - Goldstein.

In a sentence. Weitering to defence, (covering for Rowe) allowing Phillips and Kreuzer to tagteam Goldstein in the ruck, while resting forward and filling Weiterings role.

We did that most of last year and it was an abject failure. Kreuzer's great on his own, very ordinary when he shares, as is Phillips. Both were terrible as forwards. Then Casboult struggles as a lone key forward as every defender goes to him. Surprised you never picked that up.

You can still win the clearances to a losing ruck. Clubs do that all the time. Focus on that.

Taps don't worry me, as about 15-20% at best may go to advantage. I prefer performance around the ground.

Reply #59
Taps are almost worthless, for all the stoppages that happen in an AFL game maybe one or two taps in a whole match have a clear impact.

The far more important aspect of ruckwork are the 2nd and 3rd efforts, Sandilands is a prime example. For all the bitching and moaning about his dominance clearances came out about even, and Kreuzer had far more beneficial influence for Carlton than Sandilands had for Freo. Most of Freo's scoring came off the back of Carlton turnovers that left Hill and Co running freely off the HBF without a tackling Carlton player in sight! Even those apparent Sandilands clearance taps came off the back of a Freo player running freely uncheck and unhindered past the stoppage. That is junior football type behaviour from the Carlton players, why they had that mindset on the night I have no idea. You just can't allow HBFs and Wingmen to run freely past the contest as it will make any ruckmen look like Godzilla, and Sandilands is already a handful for most to deal with in the absence of his crumbers getting a free ride!
The Force Awakens!