Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 10: Pre Game Palaver: Carlton vs North Melbourne (Read 21585 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 10: Pre Game Palaver: Carlton vs North Melbourne

Reply #75
I like Sumner, always have. I hope he can get a decent crack, stay injury free and get some continuity by playing week in week out. The kid can seriously play and has some tricks.

Agree. Had a late/slow start to the season, with another early set back during a pre season game. But his last two weeks showed glimpses of what he is capable of.

Surprised Macreadie got the nod ahead of White. Even in the summaries of each VFL players game last week according to Josh, White got wraps whereas Macreadie not so much and that's what I also saw. So now we know that blokes aren't selected on form alone... if they're young and their form is not bad they get a gig, if they're older they'll need a few BOGs to get a gig.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #76
Agree. Had a late/slow start to the season, with another early set back during a pre season game. But his last two weeks showed glimpses of what he is capable of.

Surprised Macreadie got the nod ahead of White. Even in the summaries of each VFL players game last week according to Josh, White got wraps whereas Macreadie not so much and that's what I also saw. So now we know that blokes aren't selected on form alone... if they're young and their form is not bad they get a gig, if they're older they'll need a few BOGs to get a gig.
I just love what they are doing with the side on a week to week basis. Blooding kids, settling players in their best positions, going with youth as opposed to age/experience. There is a plan and they are sticking to it. White is a terrific bloke who loves the club, plays for his team mates and gives you 100% week in week out. Is he part of the future? No. He will no longer be selected ahead of kids with talent. Macreadie has talent to burn and is part of the future so I have no problem with selections like that and I am prepared to experience the "growing pains" that go with selections like that. Pretty soon, more blokes like White will miss out to make way for the future. Its a good thing, its a very good thing.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #77
Sandilands turned the game in Freo's favour. Kreuzer might have a good individual game when he rucks solo but it's not good for the team.

Kreuzer got it 22 times, plus 5 marks, 6 tackles, double that of Sandilands, who didn't take a mark, and between he (26 hitouts) and Levi (10) got only 6 taps less for what it's worth. I'm not sure Sandilands changed the game, his midfield did.

With those stats I'm happy for Kreuzer to do the bulk of the ruck work with relief from Casboult. It works best for us. Give me the performance around the ground any day.

Reply #78
If Phillips is rucking Kreuzer should rotate with Cripps, they are equally good at ground level.

Phillips was better, but last weekend was the first he's actually held some marks. Prior to that he was very ordinary, I think he is dead lucky that Jones got injured! Jones has been losing the taps but winning the clearances.

It's not the 50 taps a ruckmen gets that matters, it's what the midfielders do with them that counts!

I can't believe we keep having this debate, especially given we finally cleared our list of Warnock are we saying we were better off with him than Kreuzer, no way!

I think our big problem remains Casboult, a lot of attention on Kreuzer relative to Sandilands just lets 200cm Casboult's awful game last weekend slip through the cracks. It takes a special talent to kick 2 goals and still have a negative impact! Casboult is like an illicit drug, addictive for all the wrong reasons. At 27 I'm well and truly over the "Gee, if only he could.....!", yet I just know if he leaves he'll come good!

You won't get miracles from a key forward that was pick 44 in a rookie draft. Levi frustrated giving away too many frees last week. I've seen him play better in some respects in this role, not quite taking as many marks, but he's rucking better and hitting the scoreboard more. It's allowing Kreuzer to blossom though and have his best year. We're playing both to their strengths, which is much different to last year. I'd have picked another key forward and let Levi focus on backing up Kreuzer.

Reply #79
Kreuzer got it 22 times, plus 5 marks, 6 tackles, double that of Sandilands, who didn't take a mark, and between he (26 hitouts) and Levi (10) got only 6 taps less for what it's worth. I'm not sure Sandilands changed the game, his midfield did.

With those stats I'm happy for Kreuzer to do the bulk of the ruck work with relief from Casboult. It works best for us. Give me the performance around the ground any day.

I'd rather we win.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #80
He's had ruck rotations at stoppages in every game I watched in the last few weeks, only limited center bounce stuff in the last two weeks. But enough stoppage ruck to see the benefits he brings.

If he brings that level of effort, he is more than useful whether it be ten times a game or fifty!

He may have had one or two, hardly part of the ruck rotation and he didn't take a tap against Sandringham.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #81
Had a local Norf guy tell me Preuss was a lock. Not in the 22 yet.

Will be interesting to see if there's a late change.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #82
We did that most of last year and it was an abject failure. Kreuzer's great on his own, very ordinary when he shares, as is Phillips. Both were terrible as forwards. Then Casboult struggles as a lone key forward as every defender goes to him. Surprised you never picked that up.

You can still win the clearances to a losing ruck. Clubs do that all the time. Focus on that.

Taps don't worry me, as about 15-20% at best may go to advantage. I prefer performance around the ground.

Its not about taps. Its about working Goldstein over.

You let Kreuzer run around as much as possible and get free. When he gets tired, you give Phillips a run and do the same. Eventually Goldstein gets tired. Then you run him around some more. Sooner or later you get more of the ball around the ground (playing 2 rucks) then you would if you go one on one.

As for Phillips. You conveniently forgot him taking a strong mark and kicking the sealer to get us up over the line against the Bombers?
Abject failure?  :-[

Reply #83
Macreadie will make our backline too inexperienced. Probably White will be one of the ins.

Bolton thinks different to you and me....MacReadie in......didnt realise Ben Brown was 200cm, 101kg...thats a fair advantage over any of our backman, going to have to play some
team defense to stop him marking the footy...

Reply #84
Bolton thinks different to you and me....MacReadie in......didnt realise Ben Brown was 200cm, 101kg...thats a fair advantage over any of our backman, going to have to play some
team defense to stop him marking the footy...

Brown is pretty much a lead up forward and doesn't really use his size to advantage.  Good closing speed and the ability to read the play are the tools required to shut him down; perfect match up for Marchbank.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #85
Its not about taps. Its about working Goldstein over.

You let Kreuzer run around as much as possible and get free. When he gets tired, you give Phillips a run and do the same. Eventually Goldstein gets tired. Then you run him around some more. Sooner or later you get more of the ball around the ground (playing 2 rucks) then you would if you go one on one.

As for Phillips. You conveniently forgot him taking a strong mark and kicking the sealer to get us up over the line against the Bombers?
Abject failure?  :-[

Typical, produce one example, one mark and goal, the rest of the time nothing. But he took a mark and kick a goal so you think you're right...lol! Kruddler, the selective stat man. Not watch football last year? Kreuzer and Phillips were terrible together last year, did nothing around the ground and nothing up forward leaving poor old Levi to survive as the only key forward. That was never working in a fit. What part of that can't you work out. You know it I know it. And you want to go back to that. Faaaark! Duh!

Kreuzer is a way better player doing the bulk of the ruckwork, outstanding actually, but make him share and he struggles. If it not about the taps then Kreuzer and Casboult will do that job. As i've said many times, and proven right again, they are our best ruck combination. Possessions and marks have probably near enough tripled and they're hitting the scoreboard too. Phillips does SFA, he won't be working anyone over.

Some people take a long time to learn about the game.

Reply #86
Who cares if Kreuzer gets a higher supercoach score when he rucks by himself? It's about winning games and in case you haven't noticed we're down the bottom of the ladder.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #87
Who cares if Kreuzer gets a higher supercoach score when he rucks by himself? It's about winning games and in case you haven't noticed we're down the bottom of the ladder.

The main part of our ladder position that can be attributed to Kreuzer are the wins!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #88
Kreuzer has always had his good years when left to ruck on his own. Hampson, Warnock, Phillips, etc. Doesn't matter who the partner is MKs form goes pear shaped when sharing the ruck. It also robs us of an extra running player and scr3ws up the forward line with a resting ruckman there all the time.

It never worked, never will work and I never understood why the coaches kept doing it.

Reply #89
The main part of our ladder position that can be attributed to Kreuzer are the wins!

He's played well but you can't say that's the reason we won.

Also, we didn't have a fit back up ruckman for a while . That's why jones was rucking in the magoos. Phillips has just run into fitness.