Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2021 Rd 1: Carlton vs Southport (Read 3561 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2021 Rd 1: Carlton vs Southport

Reply #30
Thanks for that synopsis RiverRat.

Reply #31
Owies kicked 4 different goals (1 easy snap / 1 snap from a congested pack / one easy one from the goal square / and one beauty from outside 50m on the run) in the first half but was rarely sighted in the second.

Honey flashed in an out.  Cuningham spent limited time in the midfield and some up forward - was impressive in spurts but needs to do more at this level.

LOB seems to rarely get out of low gear but actually showed speed that I hadn't seen before when he kicked a long goal on the run during the hectic last 10 minutes - needs to pull his finger out and do it much more often.

Setterfield as a midfielder seems to be primarily focused on his opponent and tackling that opponent; betting the ball seems to be a secondary option.

Durdin seems like a scrapper but is behind Ramsay in the pecking order IMO.

Philp is another who goes hard and fast both ways but he spent a lot of time rotating from the bench and did not reappear after 3/4 time - not sure if he was injured or just being managed to limit his game time.

Not familiar with the VFL listed players but Mirkov might have a future - even though he was rag-dolled by the #10 from Southport, who was the dominant big man.  #71 also drew my attention - not a tidy player but he has decent hands and throws himself at every marking contest - also needs to learn to spoil though.
Nice one, RR. I haven't done a total summary yet because I've been struggling to find out who was who. No football records again. It is bad enough when you don't know 2/3 of the opposition players, let alone 2/3 of your own! It was embarrassing, and ity did effect the may some people supported.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #32
No football records again. It is bad enough when you don't know 2/3 of the opposition players, let alone 2/3 of your own!

Agreed - The club should have posted a list of players and numbers OR if it did, should have posted it in a location that was easier to locate because I did look.

Reply #33

Agreed - The club should have posted a list of players and numbers OR if it did, should have posted it in a location that was easier to locate because I did look.
If only there was something like an interconnected network that people could access information on....

Reply #34
At least this weeks Magoos game is on Kayo Saturday morning... feet up, looking forward to it... and dare I say, come half time... coupla pies!!! Well, maybe 3  ;D
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #35
Based on that summary RR, it's safe to assume that our depth is just about f#cked? Only Stocker and Cunningham worthy of an AFL game at the minute? Even then, Cunningham is still a worry for me at AFL level....you could count on one hand the number of good games he's played in the seniors in the 5 years he's been on the list.

Reply #36
Based on that summary RR, it's safe to assume that our depth is just about f#cked? Only Stocker and Cunningham worthy of an AFL game at the minute? Even then, Cunningham is still a worry for me at AFL level....you could count on one hand the number of good games he's played in the seniors in the 5 years he's been on the list.
Actually, WA, we are not that bad on the depth front compared to recent times. Granted that not all of the guys playing in the 2's last week were worth their place, but we have at least 12 players unavailable, with 8 of them first choice players and a couple of others  who have the potential to be. Add them to who played last weekend and the team looks a LOT stronger.
We had a bunch of babies out there, Southport had more AFL experience out there than we did. Even one or two more experienced heads and we probably would have won. Especially if we had a tall to mark the ball or get a tap.

As for those out there, Ramsay will be getting a senior game sooner rather than later. He has a nice left foot and a bit of pace. had we been able to get any taps in the last 15 minutes, it would most likely have been him to get the ball out of the middle.
Corey Durdin is still very on limited minutes, but he will also probably get a senior game this year. he may not be express, but he is quick enough and he knows where the goals are. I'm willing to give him time as he works on his match fitness. I certainly don't expect him to miss from 15 metres directly in front.
Matt Owies kicked 4 goals in the first half and was very good. Unfortunately he dropped his bundle somewhat, dropping marks he should, and usually does, take.
Philp is coming off injury and wasn't that bad. he will get better.
Honey did some brilliant things: he goes missing too much for my taste, but he can do some really nice things.
Lachie O'Brien wasn't bad, he just didn't dominate the way he could have. He certainly lifted late in the game, where others were dropping off. I don't see him as the answer, but he may well get games.
The one who disappointed was Setterfield. He may have had a negative job, as he did have 11 tackles, most of them in the centre square. However, when the game was there to be won, Setters didn't take it by the throat and lift. With a bit of hard running he could have been the marking target we lacked.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #37
In the Dogs v GWS, guys like Ugle-Hagen, Jesse Hogan, Mitch Wallace & Kamis  we’re running around. That’s a different level of depth.

Reply #38
In the Dogs v GWS, guys like Ugle-Hagen, Jesse Hogan, Mitch Wallace & Kamis  we’re running around. That’s a different level of depth.
True, but we are not that far away from having that, especially as guys like Newman come on line in a few weeks.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #39
Put Newman, Martin, De Koning, Silvagni, Parks, Carroll, Kemp, Fisher back 'into the system' over the next 4-5 weeks (and we don't have too many more injuries....good luck!) and both the Seniors and Reserves look pretty strong.

Doggies might just be having a purple patch where the stars are aligning and there are not too many injuries to their list. That always looks like there is depth when you have a clean list.

Reply #40
Dogs were gifted Treloar and Stef Martin was probably the bargain recruit of the season...
Reminds me of Richmond getting Nankervis.. Their back line is their only weakness..

Reply #41
True, but we are not that far away from having that, especially as guys like Newman come on line in a few weeks.

Newman has played 2 games in 2 years.

Look at Williamson and docherty for reference.

We are underestimating how badly broken these guys are and it really has wrecked this season before it started IMHO.

imagine Charlie, marchbank, docherty and newman all not having 2 years with minimal footy.  A fair bit of bona-fide ability in that quartet.  Its rare to lose 2 to 2 years worth of injuries but 4 is almost unheard of.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #42
Newman has played 2 games in 2 years.
Whoa there, Newman hardly missed a game in 2019, played all except Rnd 7 and 8.

He only played 2 games last year.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #43
Whoa there, Newman hardly missed a game in 2019, played all except Rnd 7 and 8.

He only played 2 games last year.
You can call it an exaggeration, but the fact remains, he hasnt played a lot of footy for a very long time and is coming back from a very long way. 

Last season he was unsighted.

This season he is unsighted.

He is going to be unsighted for quite some time.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson