Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 8: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs (Read 14412 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 8: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

Reply #210
The problem with Cunningham (and I think most folks can see it) is that he does these things in games that make you think...'wow, that was classy.'
He's a 'cut above'
But then he goes for long periods of the game without any impact.

Just keep playing him for the time being.
His upside is greater than most of those other fringe players.
Hopefully those 'wow' moments will become more frequent.

Reply #211
I was trying to make the same point, that it wasnt a GREAT game.
I thought he was decent when he had the ball is probably what I was trying to say but happy to agree with you it wasn't a great game hence he didn't get votes from me.

Reply #212
I thought he was decent when he had the ball is probably what I was trying to say but happy to agree with you it wasn't a great game hence he didn't get votes from me.
Agree, he did some nice things and if he was playing in the FP you say it was a good game, but he was up the field so he needs to get far more involved before he gets a tick. But I'd say he is moving in the right direction, now if he can be consistent we should see growth.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #213
The problem with Cunningham (and I think most folks can see it) is that he does these things in games that make you think...'wow, that was classy.'
He's a 'cut above'
But then he goes for long periods of the game without any impact.

Just keep playing him for the time being.
His upside is greater than most of those other fringe players.
Hopefully those 'wow' moments will become more frequent.
Classy is the correct word, its the consistency he lacks.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #214
You have to keep playing Cunningham, he's not going to get better in the VFL. If we decide he's not good enough at the end of the year get rid of him.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #215
The problem is that Pittonet's clearances are kicks off the ground or blind kicks/handpasses in the general direction of our forward line.  His ruckwork is poor and generally ends up with an opposition clearance.  It's really worth watching how De Koning in the VFL (and even Casboult) is able to direct his hitouts so that a midfielder gets a decent opportunity to drive the ball forward.  I don't know how "hitouts to advantage" is defined but most of Pittonet's taps don't result in us getting a clearance.

The other problem with Pittonet is that he is not taking marks around the ground and, when he "helps out" in defence, it often ends up with him blocking Jones or Weitering.  He certainly tries hard, but there's a reason why he only played seven games in four seasons with the Hawks.

I think he goes okay in the ruck but doesn't do much else.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #216
Just on Williams, I keep hearing about him being in the midfield but I was at the ground and every time I saw him he was starting in the forward line.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #217
Obvious....retired off the backline General too soon

Should have kept Simmo on the books......durable and would have gone around again willingly again for 150-200k
instead pay that muppett Williams 800k p/year for 5 years?

Plain as the nose on your face...I went to the praccy match v Saints at Etihad where they torched us for 7 goals first qtr...probably 4/5 over the back and thought we are going to leak goals all year..how many games in his glittering career has he saved us us last man on the line or filled the hole in front of big forwards fearlessly. With Newman meant to be the replacement in that role and out for first 8 games surely they could have found a spot for him.

Just my thoughts

Reply #218
How can it be that when we hit the lead against a top team, after so many years of struggling, that our team is full of dread instead of excitement.

How can it be that they are not energised and invigorated by the situation of leading?

Who did this to us, and / or who is doing it to us?

I re-watched the game and you can see the change in some of our players, even before the Dogs had scored their second goal in the comeback run on. Our players looked to have dropped their heads, like they knew their fate and that their role wasn't to win. They looked nervous, suppressed, defeated even!

Somebody or something at our club is dropping the ball, we have a bad influence somewhere in the system!

It's corny but true!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #219
LP - while there is a huge mental aspect, I think there is a fitness aspect as well.  Fitness because we are a side that needs its best 22 playing.  We currently spend a huge amount of energy carrying 4-5 players more than the top sides (up to 15, reading this site after a loss!) - it is 17/18 against 22 when it comes to the top sides.

I think McKay had a shot to get us 32 points up, late in the third, but missed, they then scored two goals and started the run on.  We bang on about taking the easy chances - we had heaps - that has also got to be deflating.

Reply #220
I think he goes okay in the ruck but doesn't do much else.

Can a team afford to rely on a ruckman who doesn’t have an impact around the ground?

I’d be happier if Pittonet was able to nullify the impact of opposition rucks but I’m not seeing that.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #221
Can a team afford to rely on a ruckman who doesn’t have an impact around the ground?

I’d be happier if Pittonet was able to nullify the impact of opposition rucks but I’m not seeing that.

Stat sheet says opposite to that.

Reply #222
How can it be that when we hit the lead against a top team, after so many years of struggling, that our team is full of dread instead of excitement.

How can it be that they are not energised and invigorated by the situation of leading?

Who did this to us, and / or who is doing it to us?

I re-watched the game and you can see the change in some of our players, even before the Dogs had scored their second goal in the comeback run on. Our players looked to have dropped their heads, like they knew their fate and that their role wasn't to win. They looked nervous, suppressed, defeated even!

Somebody or something at our club is dropping the ball, we have a bad influence somewhere in the system!

It's corny but true!

This is a long standing problem with our footy club.

We tanked for draft picks years and years ago, and this was our reward.  Remember the Kreuzer cup?

The word culture gets thrown around a lot but the only way you can make a cultural difference is time doing the same thing over again until you build your brand.

Its what worried me about the Brendan Bolton approach with the green shoots.  We traded away any chance of winning, for draft picks, and wooden spoons, and a couple more number 1 draft picks.  Yes its delivered us the best talent in the land in Weitering and Walsh, but at what cost?  Are we seeing this play out now?

My only real reference point of another club that has done what we did, is the Melbourne footy club.  Goodwin arrived, and he has decided to drop the draft picks, theyve ditched the number 1 messiah, and gone with a bunch of unfashionable types, that know how to play footy.  Here we are looking at them this weekend, after having gone down the road of appointing an unfashionable type as captain (Jones) and they are now playing with his dedication as a unit.

Perhaps the fish has rotted from the head.  I only hope we havent repeated history.  Those who dont learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Teague appears to be trying to correct this.

Our footy club has another problem.  Teams build the resilience and reliability through consistency.  We have not had a consistent approach to anything for a very long time, and I suggest that this problem wont start to vanish until we start to have a consistent approach on a consistent basis.

we have the tools to build a solid team, I expect its the next layer that will deliver us any real difference in mentality. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson