Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 8: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs (Read 14417 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 8: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

Reply #45
Pit is NOT and AFL standard ruckman. Not even close. He was beaten by a second gamer and was still unable to give our midfield any clear takeaways. HTF are we slaughtered in clearances with a 2nd gamer rucking. Can you imagine what Gawn will do to this bloke next week. Just shows you how far off it we are development wise when a 2nd gamer can come in and have an impact. Same with their first gamer he showed straight off that he had been developed. We are still a fair bit off it.

And don’t let me start on Cripps and Williams. Ffs I’m so sick of both of these blokes. Over paid over rated. Sick of excuses. If Cripps wants to go home good get a decent deal and catch ya later.  He needs to be dropped but won’t be. Kane Cornes is 110% right - he is not an elite midfielder had a few good years but is not damaging at all and gets burnt on the outside time and time again. Paying this bloke a cent more then 600k a year would be laughable.
Switch jumpers with Bont and Cripps today and we win by 6 goals.
Cripps doesn't see happy, if he wants to go so be it as you say. As long as he realises he is part of the problem, mentally weak to a man. It staggers me we can't devise a plan to stop 5 goal runs or the infield leaders (that's you Patrick) do nothing.
As for Zac, he is one less than impressive footballer. Nine touches and a tackle, there is nothing nice to say about that so Ill say nothing.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #46
You know what’s embarrassing - anyone that tries to justify that performance using stats.
I watched the game and him in particular very closely apart from costing us 2 goals to frees he had no fking clue how to palm the ball to any sort of advantage. I reckon they could have used Daniels on the ruck and Pit wouldn’t know how to exploit it. Bombers did the same thing last week used a kid against him cause they know he has no clue.
You trying to defend his ruck work is like me telling you Casboult is a great AFL footballer based on the stats I throw at you.
Both are lucky to be 2nds standard but we have no stocks to turn to so they keep getting a game. 
Yes, Pitto was up against a rookie and a ruck nobody, and he couldn't use that situation to his or our advantage, the stats are a lie.

It's been the huge weakness, Pitto is a break even ruck, he'll probably break even with Gawn. But when he should he doesn't dominate an opponent, and when he gets a clear hand to the pill it's more often than not heading to opposition advantage.

If you can get the replay watch De Koning's game form earlier today, gets a clean hand puts it down a team-mates throat!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #47
As for Zac, he is one less than impressive footballer. Nine touches and a tackle, there is nothing nice to say about that so Ill say nothing.
Zac is not suited to how he is being used, and probably injured.

If he was fit we would have swapped him and Saad today, but we didn't, so that is a tell.

Overall not a bad team effort, we lost not because of the momentum swing, but because we missed 2 or 3 easy goals from 20m out almost dead in front. We probably should have been 40+ up instead of 27.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #48
Teague said in the post match that Williams copped a minor injury during the game (didn't say what), but the medicos said he was ok to go back on. OK can mean different things to different people I guess.

I don't think Williams' issue is positional. I just don't think he looks right.

Reply #49
Williams was a good player at GWS, but hasn’t fired a shot at Carlton. Why?

Did we get this horribly wrong?
I'll guess and say the following:
- he can't cope with the expectation of being a prized recruit.
- he seems lazy and isn't prepared to work hard to get into a game.
He might need some "easy kills" to get his form and hunger back, it aint gonna happen in the ones in the coming weeks. We have
- Melb
- Haw
- Syd
- WC
Play him in the 2s until he dominates.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #50
If someone said we'd lose by 16, I'd have taken that.   To lose how we did was, however,  disappointing to say the least.

Reply #51
I'll guess and say the following:
- he can't cope with the expectation of being a prized recruit.
- he seems lazy and isn't prepared to work hard to get into a game.
He's learning the midfield @Gointocarlton‍ , he doesn't know where to run and when, he is not lazy, but the hesitation makes him look lazy!

HBF is straight line stuff, midfield is 360°.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #52
Clueless coaching

I think I witnessed the most absolutely clueless/braindead coaching performance I have seen for many a day this arvo
18 straight clearances to the Dogs and our supercoach sits in the box looking like  Bambi in the headlights and scratches his chin . Lets Bont run head to head with Cripps all day and gets slaughtered...surly Curnow should have had him most of the day
Doesn't hardly make one change to try and switch things around..throw anyone in there...SPS,Eddie,Fogarty anyone FFS maybe Harry in the ruck for a few centre bounces...just try something
Zac Williams is an almighty $800k bust....gets on the park 50% of the time with chronic soft tissue injuries and can't even make the distance from 35-40m on a shot at goal...did we not do our homework?
Never fear Murph is fit and free to save us next weekend v the Dees

Just deplorable

Reply #53
Frustration at being good enough but again 5hitting the bed against top sides in last qtrs like against the Pies and GWS when finals were on the line last year. 5 goal lead means we are good enough against anyone, last qtr tells us there's a mental issue against good sides when leading. Cost us finals last year, costly again this year.

Reply #54
Weitering, what a superstar!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #55
Teague said in the post match that Williams copped a minor injury during the game (didn't say what), but the medicos said he was ok to go back on. OK can mean different things to different people I guess.

I don't think Williams' issue is positional. I just don't think he looks right.
Playing midfield with Cogs, Kelly, Hopper, Ward, Taranto and Greene is an easier gig than having to step up and being one of the main men with us. I agree he doesnt look right but he also isnt used to running around all day and having to be a prime mover.
I'd be playing him on the half back line and working him into form and fitness, its a bit like McGovern, the latter was the 4th/5th banana at the Crows and now is expected to be No 2 with us with Charlie out and thats not going to work nor is expecting Williams to be No 3 mid behind Cripps and Walsh without some time to work his way into form and getting to know his teammates IMHO.

Reply #56
Clueless coaching

I think I witnessed the most absolutely clueless/braindead coaching performance I have seen for many a day this arvo
18 straight clearances to the Dogs and our supercoach sits in the box looking like  Bambi in the headlights and scratches his chin . Lets Bont run head to head with Cripps all day and gets slaughtered...surly Curnow should have had him most of the day
Doesn't hardly make one change to try and switch things around..throw anyone in there...SPS,Eddie,Fogarty anyone FFS...........................................................

According to the post match, Teague said they tried several things, but none of them worked.

Reply #57
Yes, Pitto was up against a rookie and a ruck nobody, and he couldn't use that situation to his or our advantage, the stats are a lie.

It's been the huge weakness, Pitto is a break even ruck, he'll probably break even with Gawn. But when he should he doesn't dominate an opponent, and when he gets a clear hand to the pill it's more often than not heading to opposition advantage.

If you can get the replay watch De Koning's game form earlier today, gets a clean hand puts it down a team-mates throat!
Yep exactly - I hear stats show he ‘won’ the ruck well stats obviously can be very misleading if that’s the case.
Has no clue at all how to tap to our mids advantage and if there was ever a day to show us he can actually ruck today was it and failed again.
Bring TDK in pls. 

Reply #58
..................its a bit like McGovern, the latter was the 4th/5th banana at the Crows and now is expected to be No 2 with us with Charlie out and thats not going to work nor is expecting Williams to be No 3 mid behind Cripps and Walsh without some time to work his way into form and getting to know his teammates IMHO.
Yes, when I state Williams doesn't know where and when to run, it's about familiarity with team-mates as much as basic football. Who turns left or right, who can accelerate, who will hit you with a handball, who lobs it up in front, who tackles, who bumps, etc., etc..

I suspect LOB will be close to a recall, has looked good 3 weeks running and has been a nice VFL ball user.

Not sure what to make of SPS being emergency, but he looked a bit slow when he came on this week.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #59
According to the post match, Teague said they tried several things, but none of them worked.

Another run of 5 consecutive goals plus conceded but Teague and Carlton..    It's been an issue since Teague started.   They just can't stop the bleeding.