Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 8: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs (Read 14530 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 8: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

Reply #60
Another run of 5 consecutive goals plus conceded by Teague and Carlton. It's been an issue since Teague started.  They just can't stop the bleeding.

Yep, I agree. Those little windows of opportunity we give to other teams will end up being a coach killer. I'm not sure how many coaches, strategists etc. it takes to fix the issue. I wonder if we need to bring in some kind of extra help, a top defensive mind maybe ? Because Teague and the assistants don't seem to be up to the task.

Reply #61
Another run of 5 consecutive goals plus conceded but Teague and Carlton..    It's been an issue since Teague started.   They just can't stop the bleeding.
Its started at the end of the 3rd quarter, they got a couple late and we just started to wilt and they smelt blood.
We looked tired in the last and just couldnt go with the Dogs who spread well, think they are the No 1 team for uncontested possies and thats due to their run and work rate.
You need strong leadership to rally the group onfield when under siege and thats an issue for us IMO.....

Reply #62
Zac is not suited to how he is being used, and probably injured.

If he was fit we would have swapped him and Saad today, but we didn't, so that is a tell.

Overall not a bad team effort, we lost not because of the momentum swing, but because we missed 2 or 3 easy goals from 20m out almost dead in front. We probably should have been 40+ up instead of 27.
LP you, the coach and everyone else needs to stop making excuses for a bloke that is expected to deliver more than 9 disposals and a tackle. If he kicked 4-5 goals with those 9 possies I'd STFU. But we he delivered today was tripe and embarrassing.
Ill admit that I had never seen much of Zac at GWS nor did I notice him much, but I was perplexed at what we spent to get him. What he produced today (and thus far) is what I'd expect from an 18 year old first year, not a 26 year old on a fat, long term contract.
Harsh? You better bloody believe it and to be honest I dont give a crap.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #63
Mate, when you have the best contested ball winner in the comp, and club captain, and he gets done over for clearances by the ruck, and you point the finger at the ruck as being the issue? You are confusing where the blame lies.

I'm not saying Pittonet is worthy of votes, but to say he is the reason we lost and was beaten by a second gamer, nah, i'm calling BS on that.
Just when Grundy had 30 more hitouts than Pittonet and people were lauding his game, Pittonet beat him at every other stat that mattered, and some that didn't.

Stats are not the be all and end all, but i'm going to disagree with someone, i'm going to give evidence as to why.

FWIW, one of those frees against Pittonet was BS too. Sweet initiated contact, Pittonet was too strong and threw him out of the way.....while looking at the ball mind you...and was called for holding/pushing. Watch what Mummy does every game, and rewatch that and tell me its a free.
Give me 5 occasions where pit tapped the ball to put mids clear advantage. Just 5 is all I’m asking for.  Give me the quarter and the time. Issue is you
can’t do it cause it didn’t happen.
Taps without ‘to advantage’ is rubbish talk.

Spin it anyway you want, they had their starting ruck and their backup ruck both out and out guy was still unable to give our mids any tap to advantage.

He is miles off AFL Standard and this is the 2nd week he has a unknown kid as an opponent and he failed to assist us.
Sorry but I call it as I see it not as the stats tell me.
I know you like him and that’s fine- he does compete hard at ground level gives but he is miles off the standard as a tap ruckman - miles off it.
Our mids have to fight and slog it out for every possession they win in the middle. Be nice if they got a few easy takeaways like most other mids receive but it won’t happen till TDK comes in.

Reply #64
Williams has two problems.  1.  He is a currently not 100% and you can see it.  The bloke has much more footy in him than we are seeing and him and Cripps seem to be suffering from a similar affliction.  2.  The intention to transform him into a midfielder is fine, but he needs to be on the wing where he can hurt teams with his disposal.  See number 1 issue regarding why we are not doing this.

You see snippets of his ball use and just think, ok, thats why we paid big money for him, and then we go and hide him in a back pocket for almost a quarter.  IF he isnt fit, just get him up and running and play him later (my fear is that he has a significant issue ala Daisy, and we may not see more of his best footy for a while, and he will go in for an operation at the end of the year which will make us all go, OH, thats it).

Treloar was available off season.  Some bolder list management, and we might have been able to pinch him at a heavy discount for not much.

When I found out we were going after Williams, I was surprised.  Sure, he's quick, when he delivers to advantage, he makes the rest of our team look like sunday league triers (and that is an understatement).

I was entertaining people today and didnt see as much as the game as I would have liked, but I saw a sequence of just sheer stupid decisions and skill execution errors that led to us losing the ability to control the footy.

Harry Plays on near the wing for no reason.
Stocker handballed into traffic and missed the target which resulted in a goal.
Fogarty tried a short handball left handed rather than just knocking it inside 50 and it was cut off and rebounded for yet another doggies opportunity for goal.

Lots of missed chances where we should have hit the scoreboard harder and didnt resulting in the momentum shift, and bringing pressure back on ourselves.

We played reasonably well for periods, but when the Doggies went up a gear, we just couldnt go with them and kept making dumb errors via stupid decisions/ball use, or just plain crap execution.  Both are a feature of the Carlton football club over the last 10 years, so to see it reflected on field is hardly surprising (Ahem, Daisy, Ahem, Malthouse, Ahem, lets go all out for McGovern, Williams and Saad... none of which are what I would call X factor recruits, nor do they fill any specific requirement, which makes them a bit of a no mans land, hail mary.  High risk, low reward targets.)

I think we did this trying to bring in some experienced heads to help transition away from our previous stalwarts.  The end is not far for quite a few for our seasoned regulars.

On a side note, was really pleased to see some of Cunninghams work.  He is really showing why we chose him, and he is the most underated player on our list at the moment.

I forgot something.  Walsh is a genuine star, and he went quiet in the last, because the bulldogs gave him ALOT of attention, and it clearly stopped us and got them going.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #65
On a side note, was really pleased to see some of Cunninghams work.  He is really showing why we chose him, and he is the most underated player on our list at the moment.

I forgot something.  Walsh is a genuine star, and he went quiet in the last, because the bulldogs gave him ALOT of attention, and it clearly stopped us and got them going.
Yes, two big positives.

If Walsh lacks anything it's pace, yet he finds his way to compete against one of the faster sides!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #66
I thought Pittonet was serviceable but not dominant, they have a very deep midfield and its very hard to cover them all in terms of like for like talent when you are relying on stoppers. IMO we could have selected Setterfield this week who I think would have been a good opponent for Macrae or the Bont given he has more size.
Cripps opponent is always a worry if they are a class player and we cant keep on pretending its not an issue as he just doesnt man up, cant chase in most cases, and his opponent runs loose. You are relying then on Cripps getting more possessions and doing more damage to offset the lack of accountability on his part and thats not going to work for 4 quarters vs class players all the time.
This week he will get it easier as Oliver will get his 25-30 possies but wont do as much with them as say the Bont or a Steele and Cripps should be more effective himself and I would expect him to push forward more.
Pittonet has to be viewed as our Stef Martin, reliable big body to limit the damage but wont ever be dominant , he was a twos player behind McEvoy and Ceglar for a reason and is a stop gap until we groom TDK and probably another kid ruck to be our next ruck duo.

Reply #67
Zac Williams is timid ... afraid to take on the game because his pay packet doesn't demand sacrifice and effort. 

Try pinning that label on Betts.  One's a champion, the other a fifth grader and stuff the arguments about injuries or positions.  He's no good.

Teague?  A cigar store Indian in the Carlton box would make for more viewing interest.

Reply #68
Felt like we were playing the Storm today with the amount of throws the dogs get away with.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #69
Zac Williams is timid ... afraid to take on the game because his pay packet doesn't demand sacrifice and effort. 

Try pinning that label on Betts.  One's a champion, the other a fifth grader and stuff the arguments about injuries or positions.  He's no good.

Teague?  A cigar store Indian in the Carlton box would make for more viewing interest.

Teague is getting that Bolton look.....

Reply #70

I'm tipping Williams is having Achilles issues. That was the rumour last week, which we passed off as general soreness. He missed all 2019 with it.

Reply #71
I'm tipping Williams is having Achilles issues. That was the rumour last week, which we passed off as general soreness. He missed all 2019 with it.
Why is he playing? I call BS.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #72
Teague is getting that Bolton look.....
The Carlton Football Club will do that to you.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #73
The problem for us is at no stage did we put our foot on the doggies throat or even keep them at arms length, they always knew they could win from behind no matter how far that was.
They had belief and we started to try and save the game from halfway through the third
Lack of leadership and coaching we should have slowed the game down, kept possession and taken the momentum out of their charge by bringing the pressure of the clock onto our side
But no another honourable loss when we got tired and lost composure. Sick of it, when’s Russell going to do what he’s supposedly the best in the business at get us match hard and fit can’t see any results yet for the time he’s been there. Might be good to lose a few more as we are going nowhere as usual and play some blokes who are going alright in the 2s

Reply #74
Why is he playing? I call BS.

Fox were onto it last week saying it was an achilles issue that we called general soreness. Had achilles issues all his career. Like after round 3 when ch.7 told us Cripps was having back and groin issues. We denied it but in both cases the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Both are terrific players struggling big time. Doubt it's just coincidence.