Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game prosecution: AFL 2021 Rd 8: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs (Read 5733 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game prosecution: AFL 2021 Rd 8: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

Reply #75
Ive been to a few matches and zac has been hiding in pockets for most of the year.  We are carrying him IMHO as he's not 100%
I dont subscribe to the theory we are carrying him injured. Not even Carlton would risk the investment. I reckon he is a little on the lazy side and thinks the game will come to him. Needs a rocket of the highest order instead of having his ego stroked.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #76
We don't fear these guys - and match up well.

Need a few more to step up through - MG, ZW, JN - to name three who should be giving more....

Rd 6, 2020 (Metricon)

Blues 16.7   103
Dogs 7.9       51

Rd 5, 2019 (Marvel)

Blues 15.11   101
Dogs 7.15       57

They pipped us by 3 points later in the season at Marvel.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #77
This would be a morale boosting win for us without doubt and all I can hope is that we want it badly enough. The return of Jack S is great afaic as he will no doubt bring some determination and mongrel - should more than compensate for the loss of McG.

The other in, ZW, is an upgrade also.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #78
I can start to understand the lack of a call up for TDK given he’s only been back for one week, giving Levi another reprieve

But Dow and SPS out whilst Newnes plays is nothing short of incredible.

Lots of talent in the VFL
Just on this, i feel like i'm the president of the Jack Newnes fan club and required to defend him, but why do you make this statement? What is it that Newnes has been so bad at, that either of those 2 have been so good at.

At best, they have performed equally over the journey. Newnes at least offers consistency week to week. SPS everyone was calling for his head....we finally got it.....then he plays half a game, takes 1 good mark and he is flavour of the month again. What if he gives us SFA for the next 5 weeks? Back to Newnes??

Newnes vs Dow/SPS....
Newnes hits the scoreboard more.
Tackles as much as them
Gets more of the ball more than them.
Puts his body on the line more
Stands up for his teammates more.
Can handle the pressure better
Has more I50's
More 1%ers

Why the hate on him? Because he is a few years older and because he came from a different club?

Reply #79
I don't understand the hate for Newnes - rarely among our worst players, rarely gets dropped, can play different positions. The hate seems unjustified IMO.

Reply #80
Newnes is a good mature body who has his limitations like every player does, the others offer more upside hence the tendency to prefer them but I agree JN is matching them at least on output.

Reply #81
Just on this, i feel like i'm the president of the Jack Newnes fan club and required to defend him, but why do you make this statement? What is it that Newnes has been so bad at, that either of those 2 have been so good at.

At best, they have performed equally over the journey. Newnes at least offers consistency week to week. SPS everyone was calling for his head....we finally got it.....then he plays half a game, takes 1 good mark and he is flavour of the month again. What if he gives us SFA for the next 5 weeks? Back to Newnes??

Newnes vs Dow/SPS....
Newnes hits the scoreboard more.
Tackles as much as them
Gets more of the ball more than them.
Puts his body on the line more
Stands up for his teammates more.
Can handle the pressure better
Has more I50's
More 1%ers

Why the hate on him? Because he is a few years older and because he came from a different club?

I don’t “hate” Jack Newnes, in fact I’m a fan, but not at the expense of developing Dow or SPS, both of whom have tremendous upside

Most have been calling for SPS to play in the midfield and he finally got his opportunity last week and did well - his vision, creativity and excellent disposal is something the side is crying out for, although he does need to work on kicking longer.

Dow offers an opportunity to develop another high quality inside mid with the ability to break lines, a quality that’s clearly in short supply at the club. His first quarter before getting injured was very good and he is not afraid of the contest.

By contrast, Newnes will give you an honest contest, 15-20 disposals a week and kicks relatively well for goal however against high quality opposition he is prone to poor decision making - you could argue that he offers similar output to Dow and SPS played in the midfield today, but he has  nowhere near the upside of Dow and SPS

It’s a no brainer Kruddler and you can bet that the dogs would be relieved to see both out of the side in favour of Newnes

Reply #82
Med sub wont be Setters, TDK both playing ressies. Newman hyper extended the elbow
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #84

Dow has played at least part of the game. SPS will be sub again.

I guess that’s better than nothing  ::)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #85
I don’t “hate” Jack Newnes, in fact I’m a fan, but not at the expense of developing Dow or SPS, both of whom have tremendous upside

By contrast, Newnes will give you an honest contest, 15-20 disposals a week and kicks relatively well for goal however against high quality opposition he is prone to poor decision making - you could argue that he offers similar output to Dow and SPS played in the midfield today, but he has nowhere near the upside of Dow and SPS

It’s a no brainer Kruddler and you can bet that the dogs would be relieved to see both out of the side in favour of Newnes

Upside, sure.
Ramsay, Philp, Kemp have upside too.

However, they are below par in terms of output (some of which being non-existant) so 'upside' is not enough.

Output is where its at, and currently SPS and Dow are not giving us enough output. Now i understand giving them more time to get to that development, and i'm in favour of doing that too. But i'm not sure Newnes is the one that should be getting the flick. He doesn't really deserve it. Gibbons has been more of an issue of late.

...and just on that last line from you....Bulldogs would prefer someone like Dow, SPS, who fold under pressure, rather than someone like Newnes who is battle hardened and not going to be pushed around.

Reply #86
I dont subscribe to the theory we are carrying him injured. Not even Carlton would risk the investment. I reckon he is a little on the lazy side and thinks the game will come to him. Needs a rocket of the highest order instead of having his ego stroked.

What do you reckon after today? 

Time On Ground 79%

Saad another one who isn't 100% (at least he has ramadan as an excuse for his rush of blood to the head) 74%.

Only players with less time on ground:

Fogarty 78%
Ed Curnow 78%
Owies, 73%,
Gibbons, 69%,
JSOS, 55% (went off injured). 
SPS a modest 15% time on ground (which means he played a whole of 10 to 15 minutes, which is pathetic from a bloke who came on halfway through the third quarter.  Shouldn't he have played at least 25% of the game?

Anyway, its irrelevant really.  If you ignore every other stat, and look at metres gained, you see that the Bulldogs midfield dominated the game in terms of being damaging, and we relied heavily on our metres gained coming out of defense.

The bulldogs mids moved it further more frequently which tells the story well enough.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #87
What do you reckon after today? 

What do I reckon after today? I can't see why we spent a mozza on this goat.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #88
SPS a modest 15% time on ground (which means he played a whole of 10 to 15 minutes, which is pathetic from a bloke who came on halfway through the third quarter.  Shouldn't he have played at least 25% of the game?

Game time was 128minutes
15% = 19 minutes.

Last quarter went 30min, 3rd quarter went 32. (1st half was 65min).

Not sure why he played so little, but he did SFA in his limited TOG. Lightning couldn't strike twice.....and i'm not suprised.
Need to send him back to the 2's and get him a full game in the middle.

Reply #89
Would not be at all surprised to see SPS traded out this year. He does not look happy or motivated imo.
Reality always wins in the end.