Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 11: Carlton vs Sydney (Read 12046 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 11: Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #60
I'm sure that Clarkson has lost none of his coaching skills but has proved this year with Hawthorn that a coach can only do so much with a list containing too many below average players.

If players do not have the skills and/or mental ability to carry out instructions then a coach has no choice but to dumb down the game plan.

Our rebuild has been a failure.  The list is overloaded with below average players caused by poor draft choices and failure to plan for the future.

Teague may or may not be a good coach, but how will we ever know considering the list he has to choose from?  The cupboard is bare - he was handed a poisoned chalice.

For those of us old enough to remember - Carlton of today reminds me of the sides in the past that strong Carlton teams would blow away  in one quarter of good football. 

I wonder whether our fade outs towards the end of so many quarters is due to players giving 100 per cent concentration trying to play to instruction, not being good enough, and mental fatigue setting in.

Reply #61
I'm sure that Clarkson has lost none of his coaching skills but has proved this year with Hawthorn that a coach can only do so much with a list containing too many below average players.

If players do not have the skills and/or mental ability to carry out instructions then a coach has no choice but to dumb down the game plan.

Our rebuild has been a failure.  The list is overloaded with below average players caused by poor draft choices and failure to plan for the future.

Teague may or may not be a good coach, but how will we ever know considering the list he has to choose from?  The cupboard is bare - he was handed a poisoned chalice.

For those of us old enough to remember - Carlton of today reminds me of the sides in the past that strong Carlton teams would blow away  in one quarter of good football. 

I wonder whether our fade outs towards the end of so many quarters is due to players giving 100 per cent concentration trying to play to instruction, not being good enough, and mental fatigue setting in.

Short of a replacement KPD, our list is fine....

In any other system, one of Dow, Kennedy, LOB would be playing consistently good footy now.

SPS would be an A grader.

Cuners was on the cusp of breaking through....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #62
Just back from the game - a few things stood out.

- We have periods where we looked very good - but we never look like we can sustain it or really make the opposition pay when we have the ascendancy
- We are [still] an incredibly predictably dumb team. We make so many basic errors when we have the ball it is embarrassing to watch. Teams know you just put pressure on us, we panic and turn the ball over, and then we get taken apart on the rebound.
- Our lack of organisation and inability to control the ball killed us. The swans defence feasted on our turnovers, especially at half forward to launch probably 75% of their scoring. Their defence is very well drilled and organised, and other than H we caused them no problems. Gibbons, Owies and Silvagni are honest triers, but they aren’t going to win you games against good defenders. Throw in Eddie and Fog and it really is a major worry.
- When the crunch time came mid way thru the 3rd we simply wilted physically and mentally [again]. We looked like we had no idea, no spark, no mongrel, no hunger to win. We are incredibly meek and every opposition knows it. We never looked like we had the desire or skill to match them when they went up a notch. They dominated the last 30 minutes of that game and never looked like losing, they outnumbered us and they were running way harder and were more precise with the ball in the last when the game was there to be won
- Cripps had one of his better games but his skill errors and turnovers are just killers
- The coaching & conditioning group have got a lot to answer for. It just the same stuff week after week and we don’t have any real system to our play when you compare us to a well drilled team like Sydney.

I have the chance to do it all again next week against the WCE. My 11yo son is still to see them actually win a game live so here’s hoping.

Reply #63
@flyboy77 ... with respect, I think our list is far from fine.  Same for another few levels of management

Reply #64
4-7 is a disaster given the expectation of the inner sanctum. Start the independent review process this week of the entire football department and begin the recommended changes immediately. No time like the present.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #65
@flyboy77 ... with respect, I think our list is far from fine.  Same for another few levels of management

Each to their own.

If we can match it or better the top teams for 2 or 3 quarters - but not 4 qtrs. - the problem is between the ears (and therefore the coaching crew)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #66
Cunningham(27), Lloyd(27) and Dawson(20) all had a lot of ball down back and went at around 90% DE each.....thats a lot of easy ball getting used to rebound with not much pressure from our blokes.
Too many one way players who just dont pick up their man, Eddie's game looked ok with his two goals but with 9 possies vs Cunninghams 27 @90%DE it doesnt look so good.

Reply #67
4-7 is a disaster given the expectation of the inner sanctum. Start the independent review process this week of the entire football department and begin the recommended changes immediately. No time like the present.
You know what is a disaster? Our injury list.

Marchbank out for 2 years....lets add another year.
Charlie....miss at least half the year....how much of the second half as well?
Cuners....12 months
New recruit Oscar.....couple of months minimum
Gov gets over his injuries and plays his best game for a while.....2 months!
Fisher and Martin finding their feet.....6+ weeks each.
etc

Expectations need to be adjusted based on real world conditions.

Reply #68
Each to their own.

If we can match it or better the top teams for 2 or 3 quarters - but not 4 qtrs. - the problem is between the ears (and therefore the coaching crew)
This coaching crew has a similar list being in every game for over 2 years now.
Remember the previous coaching crew with a similar list......4 wins from 44 games or whatever the hell it was.

We were coming from a LONG way back. No....we are not there yet, but we are still moving forward and are very much in front of where we were. Don't lose sight of that.

Reply #69
You know what is a disaster? Our injury list.

Marchbank out for 2 years....lets add another year.
Charlie....miss at least half the year....how much of the second half as well?
Cuners....12 months
New recruit Oscar.....couple of months minimum
Gov gets over his injuries and plays his best game for a while.....2 months!
Fisher and Martin finding their feet.....6+ weeks each.
etc
Expectations need to be adjusted based on real world conditions.
Firstly, read my post, "entire football department" which would include why we continually have a horrendous injury list.
Second, not my expectations, "inner sanctum". The Richmond Fwit stated that he expected us to play finals (LOL).
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #70
Firstly, read my post, "entire football department" which would include why we continually have a horrendous injury list.
Second, not my expectations, "inner sanctum". The Richmond Fwit stated that he expected us to play finals (LOL).
You know i reckon there are blokes who get paid by the mob who where vertical stripes (any one of the 3 variants) who were saying the same thing. Those 3 teams occupy the bottom 3 spots on the ladder.
Its marketing spin. Why do you keep falling for it?

oh and entire football department......the same ones that have brought us back from Boltons record to the improving side we are today?

Reply #71
This coaching crew has a similar list being in every game for over 2 years now.
Remember the previous coaching crew with a similar list......4 wins from 44 games or whatever the hell it was.

We were coming from a LONG way back. No....we are not there yet, but we are still moving forward and are very much in front of where we were. Don't lose sight of that.
Problem is the natives see us in front of where we were but other teams who started where we were a long way ahead of where we are now. We are not gaining on the pack like we should be.....our progress has to be in excess of the bulk of other teams or we wont catch up.

Reply #72
Each to their own.

I wish i could agree with this but that’s a very optimistic way to view it.  Imo our problems run deeper then just the coaching group. Matching teams for big portions of a game might look good at a glance but it’s also a common trait of many bottom teams so that does not mean so much to me. It’s a very different story to be able to do it when it matters and we fail with this every single time.
Not saying a proven coach like Clarkson wouldn’t help us but even a coach like him wouldn’t be able to convert our current list into the team we thought this rebuild was going to do and that is one pressing for flags over multiple years.
We need major changes on many levels to get close to that level.

Reply #73
The Richmond bloke is a marketing man who was trying to sell memberships.....tick for that result however the cost was that level of expectation he sold, but he is lucky he has Teague to blame so he has done his job and left Teague holding the baby...

Reply #74
Problem is the natives see us in front of where we were but other teams who started where we were a long way ahead of where we are now. We are not gaining on the pack like we should be.....our progress has to be in excess of the bulk of other teams or we wont catch up.

Your first 4 words nail it.
"Problem is the natives"

"But Liddle said...."
"But i thought...."
"But but but....."

Look at Melbourne. Up and down more than a yo-yo.
The path to success is not linear. No team goes on a smooth, steady path to success. There are ups and downs.

At the start of the year people were pining for Ratten after what he had done with St. Kilda.
There were times when the bombers had leapfrogged us too......then not....now again...

Forget other teams. Focus on us. Focus on our results. Focus on what is available to us on any given match day.

Lods and I always used to point out that one of the best indicators of how good (or bad) a club is going is by looking at their %.
On any given day a bounce of the ball could be the difference between 4 points and 0.
Instead, % shows you how competitive you are across the whole season.

Currently, on the ladder in terms of wins/losses, we are above 5 teams.
However, looking at %, we are above 8 teams.
Once we start to play more of the teams from the bottom half of the ladder our wins will grow....as will our %.