Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game perturbations: AFL 2021 Rd 12: Carlton vs West Coast (Read 10749 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game perturbations: AFL 2021 Rd 12: Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #135
Just reading around some of the Carlton forums and facebook pages....
This is a game we should win, most fans are expecting a win, but there's a funny vibe about it.

It's like many folks are expecting the win but have already got there anger 'bottled and ready to go' should we lose.

Reply #136
This is a game we should win, most fans are expecting a win, but there's a funny vibe about it.

It's like many folks are expecting the win but have already got there anger 'bottled and ready to go' should we lose.
Think most fans would have conceded the Swans game was a tough ask given their relentless contested style but WC have always been a team we do OK against and play a more open brand. Given their injuries, poor record on the road it all points to us doing well. This is probably it for the season too if we lose and could be the beginning of the end for the coach even though Liddle and the board say they are backing him in.
This is a game where if we win it will be more of a relief than a wild celebration..

Reply #137

Funny you should say that, Principal LODS. I look at the 'outs' for the Weagles and my mind shot back to the final series of 1994. For those who can remember, we met an undermanned Pussy Cats, who had some key players out -- at Waverley I think -- and we were beaten despite being the hot faves.

Today is a different kind of test for us... I wonder how difficult we'll make it for ourselves!
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #138
Funny you should say that, Principal LODS. I look at the 'outs' for the Weagles and my mind shot back to the final series of 1994. For those who can remember, we met an undermanned Pussy Cats, who had some key players out -- at Waverley I think -- and we were beaten despite being the hot faves.

Today is a different kind of test for us... I wonder how difficult we'll make it for ourselves!

I remember it at Waverley. Couch, Bairstow and Hocking were late outs. We couldn't possibly lose after being upset by Melbourne the previous week.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #139
Disgraceful effort in those two games,  awful.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #140
So Murph being dropped was a witch hunt or is there some conspiracy behind it? Either that or Teague doesn't know what he is doing?

I’m pretty sure there’s no conspiracy or witch hunt.  On the other hand, team selection seems to be problematic 🤔
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #141

I’m not sure that it’s a game “we should win”.  Yes, West Coast will be missing a few players but they still have a game plan that works and the players to execute it.

We could win, IF we sort out our forward 50 entries and make the most of our scoring opportunities.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #142
I remember it at Waverley. Couch, Bairstow and Hocking were late outs. We couldn't possibly lose after being upset by Melbourne the previous week.
I was at both those games and it was so deflating.

Straight sets after being favourites in the GF the year before.

The next year kinda made up for it.

Reply #143

Conditioning Lods
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #144
So Murph being dropped was a witch hunt or is there some conspiracy behind it? Either that or Teague doesn't know what he is doing?

Maybe just an MC error. Maybe horses for courses. Maybe sending Murph a message that they want this to be his last year, and this will be his future if he plays on. Maybe they thought being dropped might give him a bit of a shock.  The "official" line is that they wanted Martin in because their focus was more forward half pressure.

Lots of debate in a nothing story IMO. 

Reply #145
I’m pretty sure there’s no conspiracy or witch hunt.  On the other hand, team selection seems to be problematic 🤔
Don't get me wrong, I was a bit puzzled at the time also. But once the coach makes the call, take it on the chin, be a man, address the issues and don't sulk (in public especially). Rip it up this week and all will be forgotten.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #146
Maybe just an MC error. Maybe horses for courses. Maybe sending Murph a message that they want this to be his last year, and this will be his future if he plays on. Maybe they thought being dropped might give him a bit of a shock.  The "official" line is that they wanted Martin in because their focus was more forward half pressure.

Lots of debate in a nothing story IMO. 
You see it as nothing, I don't.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #147
It is probably Murphy's last year so he would not be regarded as a high priority selection and, irrespective of his form, other "future" players would simply likely be the selection priorities atm eg Jack Martin. Understandably tough to cop for him if he has just had a good game and in view of his past club status but a fact of life at CFC currently. It's just as simple as that imo - no conspiracies at play.

It was good to see that at least he still gives a stuff.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #148
Still maintain I believe we'll win.

But above all, if that be realised, it's the manner in which we win.

Reply #149
Murphy needs to get to 300 and gracefully retire.. played on for one season too many as did Simpson.