Skip to main content
Topic: Football Department Review (Read 74351 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Review

Reply #375
Going back a bit - so what if Dunstall knocked us back?

Without knowing, I would think Luke Sayers is a pretty hard taskmaster - CEO of PWC - you need to be make sure you are able to make money for all the partners/directors, whatever they call them now.  He has also recruited a pretty big and handy team for his new enterprise.

Game plan questions could be as easy as What is the gameplan?  Why does it work? Why doesn't it work?  doesn't matter if reviewers haven't watched us play in the flesh.

I would imagine that Pav would have a few blocks of time in Melbourne - face to face gives much better visual signals than online.

Maybe part of the reason for the review now is for Sayers' understanding of exactly where we are and wants to be prepared when he has to ' roll his sleeves up'.

It was interesting on the wireless (774) over the weekend, I heard someone talking about Fagan and how he developed culture first (which is also what Noble is trying) - be a good start!  Also, that in recruiting all the GWS stars at the start, they took the best available and not a balanced approach, resulting in a lot of midfielders becoming defenders and not being the most happy...

Reply #376
I read somewhere there is no chairman of selectors anymore, its a position no one uses anymore (but I'll stand corrected). I would guess the selection committee is made up of all the coaches (head and line), Russell and maybe Brad Lloyd.

Interesting G2C, I was hoping that the line coaches weren’t involved directly in selection…
Imagine that our line coaches are selecting the players THEY want and we are performing as we are !
If the coaches were having players foisted upon them and having to “make do” with that, it would seemingly be a reasonably easy correction to allow them more input into the squad, I hope you’re wrong…
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #377
Why the conflict NB?

In the eyes of the Richmond bloke there was conflict with 3 x Silvagni’s at the club so 2 had to go, now there’s 2 Walshes and one of them might wield the hatchet @ some of the Richmond blokes mates…
I can imagine the conversation over breakfast “How are the coaches Sam ?” “I don’t rate X” “Mmmm Interesting…” “What about Lloydy ?”
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #378
How are they related, other than common surname?

Reply #379
Caro suggested the review isn't independent with Sayers and Liddle presiding over events. Suggested Liddle should be reviewed and that Brad Lloyd should be concerned.

Reply #380
How are they related, other than common surname?

Father and son I believe…
Geoff was formerly @ Collingwood in their recuiting dept.

My bad, Sam’s father is Wayne Walsh 🙄
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #382
Caro suggested the review isn't independent with Sayers and Liddle presiding over events. Suggested Liddle should be reviewed and that Brad Lloyd should be concerned.

Barrett considers St Kilda and Gold Coast need a review also, from top to bottom. The AFL match review on incidents on field. It all has reason for concern. I do agree that Liddle needs to be part of the review. Not part of the independent panel that conduct the review. Let’s be honest. If the job is to highlight shortcomings and areas to change, improve, tweak or leave as it is, you can’t be of no bias if you are not judged for your contribution to the lack of performance and result. Correct me if I am a feckhead. Not being judgmental, but asking the question. Why is Liddle part of the panel? I wonder who instigated this review, and who is in control of which heads will roll? Lloyd might be in trouble by what the media suggest. Might be a very interesting few weeks in footy. If we lose to GWS next, the crap might just hit the media with more intensity.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #383
Pity Wes Lofts isn’t around anymore, best Chairman of Selectors we ever had.

Reply #384
What I want to know is who is picking our team each week ?
Who is our chairman of selectors ?
Who is on the selection committee ?

It's really difficult to find the current match committee, but I found the one from 2000 (courtesy of Blueseum)...and that tells a bit of a story.

2000 - Stephen Kernahan Chairman (that would probably be someone in the Judd or more likely Lloyd position these days), David Parkin, Wayne Brittain, John Worsfold, Barry Mitchell, Ross Lyon.

So it looks like a football dept head, the Senior coach, Assistants....and the runner (Mitchell)
I thought the runner being on the Match Committee was a bit strange but it makes a bit of sense if they're there in an observer role when selections and matchups are being discussed.
Mitchell's experience and input was obviously appreciated because he took over the Bullants side a few years later.

Just as an aside Mitchell was apparently pretty tight with Brittain. By reports, his relationship with Pagan was a bit of disaster so there would have been that disconnect between the seniors and our VFL affiliate during those times.

Reply #385
It's really difficult to find the current match committee, ............
This reeks of Liddle having some fingers in the pie ..................... with a side order of obfuscation, ................. you can't blame someone you can't identify!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #386
Agree
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #387
It's really difficult to find the current match committee, but I found the one from 2000 (courtesy of Blueseum)...and that tells a bit of a story.

2000 - Stephen Kernahan Chairman (that would probably be someone in the Judd or more likely Lloyd position these days), David Parkin, Wayne Brittain, John Worsfold, Barry Mitchell, Ross Lyon.

So it looks like a football dept head, the Senior coach, Assistants....and the runner (Mitchell)
I thought the runner being on the Match Committee was a bit strange but it makes a bit of sense if they're there in an observer role when selections and matchups are being discussed.
Mitchell's experience and input was obviously appreciated because he took over the Bullants side a few years later.

Just as an aside Mitchell was apparently pretty tight with Brittain. By reports, his relationship with Pagan was a bit of disaster so there would have been that disconnect between the seniors and our VFL affiliate during those times.

IIRC, Chairman of Selectors had the final say when there was a split decision. There is no such thing now.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #388

You could say that - Pagan had Mitchell's office moved to the other side of PP........ in a diff stand.....  yeah, I dont think Pagan liked him!!