Skip to main content
Topic: Football Department Review (Read 72209 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Review

Reply #420
I really hope Pavlich will take learnings from the Adelaide Crows review and rips the Board a new one, even though it's not in his remit. The Crows review was prompted by the disastrous camp, and plenty across the board, executive, football department etc. fell on their sword. I'm not convinced focussing solely on the footy department will get to the bottom of the problems.

Agree 100%.

There is something fundamentally wrong at the Blues.

I have no idea on Teague and if he is a good coach or not.    While I am not happy from outside perspective, I reckon you really need to be inside the four walls to have a great understanding of what is going on.

Saying that however the decision to hire Teague is one that baffles me.  Under Bolton it was clear we had development as the number one focus.   Samo, Dow and co playing midfield.    E.Curnow half forward flank and Murphy on a wing.    Development was clearly before wins.  

They sack Bolton and Teague gets the gig and the focus changes to wins.   Curnow and Murphy spend more time in the middle.    

We win more games.  No real surprise in hindsight.   No issue with sacking Bolton but the knee jerk reaction to hire Teague without  going through the process of interview other coaches boggles my mind.   What was the rush?   It's not like he was in hot demand?

We tend to be in such a rush.    The decision to recruit Williams on superstar money looks to be another.

It's not just the football department I would be looking at.

Reply #421
Shakin77, at the time he was appointed, it was noted that the cub did extensive personality profiling with Teague and the players, and he was declared a near perfect fit. I thought they were having a lend, but apparently not.

I think they were seduced by the caretaker coach success, and probably bowed to fan and media pressure as much as anything. Typical Carlton. Talk tough, but wilt very quickly when any heat is applied. And maybe there was no one else.

Judd seems to be the only one on that board who has any sense, certainly the only one who understands football. He was sceptical about Teague, and maybe he was right. It looks like he's had enough of dealing with those mugs, and wants out. And who could blame him ?

Reply #423
Shakin77, at the time he was appointed, it was noted that the cub did extensive personality profiling with Teague and the players, and he was declared a near perfect fit. I thought they were having a lend, but apparently not.

I think they were seduced by the caretaker coach success, and probably bowed to fan and media pressure as much as anything. Typical Carlton. Talk tough, but wilt very quickly when any heat is applied. And maybe there was no one else.

Judd seems to be the only one on that board who has any sense, certainly the only one who understands football. He was sceptical about Teague, and maybe he was right. It looks like he's had enough of dealing with those mugs, and wants out. And who could blame him ?
Judd is more interested in the stockmarket than football.
But you are right he probably feels vindicated after his training wheels comment.

Reply #424
Judd is more interested in the stockmarket than football.
But you are right he probably feels vindicated after his training wheels comment.
 I'm always concerned that some of the more icy pole types will work hard at making their predictions come true just to be proven correct!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #425
I'm always concerned that some of the more icy pole types will work hard at making their predictions come true just to be proven correct!
Judd is a smart operator but not even he could engineer another debacle like we have on and off the field like at the minute....he is day trading so he just doesnt have the time to ponder football issues and is probably glad to be on the sidelines looking on.
Football has served its purpose for Judd and family and he was always destined for the business/finance world when his career ended..

Reply #426
Judd is a smart operator but not even he could engineer another debacle like we have on and off the field like at the minute....he is day trading so he just doesnt have the time to ponder football issues and is probably glad to be on the sidelines looking on.
Football has served it purpose for Judd and family and he was always destined for the business/finance world when his career ended..

Thats the political or company line answer, I suspect there is a little more to his departure.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #427
Thats the political or company line answer, I suspect there is a little more to his departure.
Think he was a mercenary, Caro got stuck into him and tried to bait him every week on Footy Class and Bec was also copping plenty through the media.Think he just wanted out...What was left for him in the world of football and media?

Reply #428
Think he was a mercenary, Caro got stuck into him and tried to bait him every week on Footy Class and Bec was also copping plenty through the media.Think he just wanted out...What was left for him in the world of football and media?
Yep, Judd and Bec make far more dollar$ now than they ever would be media lackeys, they don't need it they are in a different league now!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #431
I found the article :

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/how-teague-got-the-full-time-job-at-carlton-20190815-p52hgq.html

Thanks, Paul.  It's interesting how quickly expectations have been dashed.

I wonder whether the selection committee members saw Teague as the preferred coach before the interview and massaged the selection criteria to match their views.

Reply #432
Teague can coach.

The question is, are we going to let him?

Do any other coaches see so much weight of expectation just on 2 years into their tenure with the whole covid situation bubbling along in the background?

It would be quite challenging and its almost a perfect storm for us as a footy club.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #433
Teague can coach.

The question is, are we going to let him?

Do any other coaches see so much weight of expectation just on 2 years into their tenure with the whole covid situation bubbling along in the background?

It would be quite challenging and its almost a perfect storm for us as a footy club.

I just don't see him holding on.  The current list is unwilling or unable to follow his plan and further losses will put even more pressure on the board to offer hope to members.

Short of culling half the list I think Teague will be the sacrificial lamb. 

Reply #434
I just don't see him holding on.  The current list is unwilling or unable to follow his plan and further losses will put even more pressure on the board to offer hope to members.

Short of culling half the list I think Teague will be the sacrificial lamb. 

It hasn't worked before, and it won't work now.

Memo to the CFC : When you're in a hole, don't dig.