Skip to main content
Topic: Football Department Review (Read 74119 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Review

Reply #195
This isn't a shot at you GTC, but most footballers these days are nice. Back in the day you wouldn't let players from any team into your house.

Sellers is a goose. If your team mates are here today gone tomorrow, how can you build any kind of relationship, any kind of synergy ? If you have a losing mindset, how hard is that to break ? If you have a club that is trigger happy across all aspects of the football department, how can you give 100% to footy when you're constantly looking over your shoulder ?

Our players are not soft, they are not overpaid fat cats who are just chasing big contracts. Players have been coming to us for fat contracts and brown paper bags since the 60's. Our blokes have lost the winning habit, and have been witness to far too much instability and uncertainty, far too much list turnover, far to much coach turnover, which is why they play the way they do.

Totally agree with your views about "team" or lack there of, and the eroding process of instability and therefore uncertainty.

Generally people struggle with uncertainty. By default it then consumes resources from the body, mind, and heart. In that sense our team is operating with a real handicap, and has been for much of the recent past. This understanding of human psychology is most denied/misinterpreted/misused by those devoted to power and self promotion. Thus the tension between looking after business/outcomes v people. Organizations with healthy culture enable both to coexist under a clear philosophy or brand.

Much is about stability, so long as the goals/roles - personnel/processes are ALL pulling in the same direction.

I'll say again. In an organization that has more change than stability, one of the roles with potential to enhance individual/team is the Org psych. Of course, that person also works within the "greater good" plan.

As complex as it seems, it's also simple and simple measures can make an enormous difference. Every person in our club has the same condition. The human condition. Strip it back to respect, integrity, honesty. Add in energy, intensity, and teamwork.

Sorry, got a bit side tracked there. I'll show myself out🙂

One last thing.... we all make sense of events differently. Be kind to one another - WE are on the same team
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #197
And with no intent to derail, I spent a good half hour with Buckley years back.  We got talking very intently about club histories, family upbringings, and everything in between.

He enjoyed it as did I.  Thoroughly like him.  Good good person.

One thing about Buckley he does come across as a very good bloke.

Reply #199
The CEO sold finals and all those members he signed at record levels jumped on board theTeague finals train but then found out its
a cold wind to Valhalla(royalties to Ian Anderson).
And join with us, please
Valkyrie maidens ride
Empty-handed on the cold wind to Valhalla..

Reply #200
Here is one that'll do your head in, did some of our blokes know Buckley was about to pull the pin when we announced "The Review", knowing we'd only have to sustain 24hrs of attention?

How did the likes of Flubbo and Caro miss it, they were so focussed on derailing the Teague train they missed Buckley departing the station?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #201
The CEO sold finals and all those members he signed at record levels jumped on board theTeague finals train but then found out its
a cold wind to Valhalla(royalties to Ian Anderson).
And join with us, please
Valkyrie maidens ride
Empty-handed on the cold wind to Valhalla..

The teague train needs some locomotive breath @ElwoodBlues1

Reply #203
The teague train needs some locomotive breath @ElwoodBlues1

And

No way to slow down  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #204
Here are some of my review findings:

Liddle stays, seems to have a grasp
Teague stays, another two years
Power stays, development is one of our biggest problems and I believe he at least has a clue.
Austin and crew stay, recruiting will get better

GONESKY

Lloyd, Head of Football. Not up to it..
Bruce, Amos and Stanton goodbye. Not good enough…
Under serious pressure is -
High performance Team - not convinced we are fit or strong enough

Now for the new crew:

Football Manager:
Leppiesch (tiger experience)
Tom Harley (head hunt)
Mark Neeld (no nonsense)
Bomber Sheldon (bleeds blue and has the experience)

Asst Coaches:
Adrian Hickmont (head hunt doing good things in the west)
Matthew Scarlett (defence)
Eddie if he retires (mentor. Forwards)
Simmo. Harford, Krues, Fraser,
ANYONE WHO HAS HAD SUCCESS AS A MIDFIELD COACH

Reply #205
Are we really on Puffing Billy?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #206
Totally agree with your views about "team" or lack there of, and the eroding process of instability and therefore uncertainty.

Generally people struggle with uncertainty. By default it then consumes resources from the body, mind, and heart. In that sense our team is operating with a real handicap, and has been for much of the recent past. This understanding of human psychology is most denied/misinterpreted/misused by those devoted to power and self promotion. Thus the tension between looking after business/outcomes v people. Organizations with healthy culture enable both to coexist under a clear philosophy or brand.

Much is about stability, so long as the goals/roles - personnel/processes are ALL pulling in the same direction.

I'll say again. In an organization that has more change than stability, one of the roles with potential to enhance individual/team is the Org psych. Of course, that person also works within the "greater good" plan.

As complex as it seems, it's also simple and simple measures can make an enormous difference. Every person in our club has the same condition. The human condition. Strip it back to respect, integrity, honesty. Add in energy, intensity, and teamwork.

One last thing.... we all make sense of events differently. Be kind to one another - WE are on the same team

Nice post LN.

Reply #207
Slowhand....Neeld was the worst senior coach I have ever witnessed. Put a camera in front of him and turns into a bumbling simpleton.  I don't know about his credentials as an assistant but his media performances didn't impress.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #208
Here are some of my review findings:

Liddle stays, seems to have a grasp
Teague stays, another two years
Power stays, development is one of our biggest problems and I believe he at least has a clue.
Austin and crew stay, recruiting will get better

GONESKY

Lloyd, Head of Football. Not up to it..
Bruce, Amos and Stanton goodbye. Not good enough…
Under serious pressure is -
High performance Team - not convinced we are fit or strong enough

Now for the new crew:

Football Manager:
Leppiesch (tiger experience)
Tom Harley (head hunt)
Mark Neeld (no nonsense)
Bomber Sheldon (bleeds blue and has the experience)

Asst Coaches:
Adrian Hickmont (head hunt doing good things in the west)
Matthew Scarlett (defence)
Eddie if he retires (mentor. Forwards)
Simmo. Harford, Krues, Fraser,
ANYONE WHO HAS HAD SUCCESS AS A MIDFIELD COACH

I like a lot of  your thinking, especially the gonskis. But:
I dont think Leppa is interested in us.
You wont get Harley across
There may be some bad blood with Hickie and in any case seems fairly settled in WA despite being a Vic country boy.
I always thought Neeld had communication issues, something was NQR when he spoke.
I think Bomba is a little passed it TBH.
The rest maybe.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #209

Love it. Top stuff, LN. I won't bang on, just to say you know where I stand with respect, authenticity, honesty... bla bla bla - let's be human with each other, dare to be vulnerable, no place for my way or the highway (which is what the Tiggers did, by the way - superior bonding sessions around 2016).
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17