Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game Premonitions: AFL 2021 Rd 14: Carlton vs GWS (Read 8012 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game Premonitions: AFL 2021 Rd 14: Carlton vs GWS

Reply #30
Kreuzer used to be quite physical.

We aren't that team that gets the physical work over anymore.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #31
Wow Jones would have crippled him.  But Pittonet is not the kind of guy who'd hold back if it came to it ..

Mumford is a low order animal

If we had a ruckman like that, would you have him banished?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #32
If we had a ruckman like that, would you have him banished?

The truth GTC ?  Yes.   

EDIT - I don't like deliberate violence in any form.  He stands guilty on that charge in what, after all, is a sport.  Retribution though is fine btw.

Reply #33
Kreuzer used to be quite physical.

We aren't that team that gets the physical work over anymore.
I still think other teams regard us as physically weak, its just there are cameras everywhere now and you have to be careful how you tackle. We still dont have consistency in putting the body on the line and having a young player like Sam Walsh who never lets you down in that area shines the light on a few others that do...
We have gentle giants like Harry and Levi who dont really get physical enough and until we get some players who like it rough and hard we will continue to be prey for other clubs who play a heavy brand..

Reply #34
The truth GTC ?  Yes.   

EDIT - I don't like deliberate violence in any form.  He stands guilty on that charge in what, after all, is a sport.  Retribution though is fine btw.
Fair enough, I personally dont think he is voilent per se`. Does he push the boundaries when being physical? Absolutely. Id have someone like him (ie physicality) in a heart beat.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #36
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/06/13/is-it-time-for-the-afl-to-put-shane-mumford-on-notice/
Everyone is on notice, the game will change again forever at the tribunal for Mackay case on Thurs night. I notice a high number of dangerous tackles paid this weekend even though the player being tackled bounced up uninjured. Contact and roughness of any sort will slowly be outlawed from the game. Both Scott and Goodwin said as much on 360 last night, they are already coaching it into their players. Teague doesnt have to worry about this with our blokes in general.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #37
Everyone is on notice, the game will change again forever at the tribunal for Mackay case on Thurs night. I notice a high number of dangerous tackles paid this weekend even though the player being tackled bounced up uninjured. Contact and roughness of any sort will slowly be outlawed from the game. Both Scott and Goodwin said as much on 360 last night, they are already coaching it into their players. Teague doesnt have to worry about this with our blokes in general.

I think we are already coaching for that style.  Ive noticed that we wrap blokes up in the tackle and dont necessarily take them to ground.

I think its a misnomer, because you still see stacks on.   I noticed one WC vs Richmond on Sunday where Darling had his leg trapped, and was forced backwards.

That was more dangerous than a lot of the heavy dumps, but they had more scope to cause head hits...
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #38
Trying to change a full on contact sport whose culture has always included 100% attack on the ball with no regard for your own safety to one where caution and hesitancy are required sounds like mission impossible to me - even a recipe for disaster? We'll see I guess, but the whole essence of the game is in danger of being lost imo, and it's old northern nickname of "aerial ping pong" may prove to have been prophetic?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #39
Trying to change a full on contact sport whose culture has always included 100% attack on the ball with no regard for your own safety to one where caution and hesitancy are required sounds like mission impossible to me - even a recipe for disaster? We'll see I guess, but the whole essence of the game is in danger of being lost imo, and it's old northern nickname of "aerial ping pong" may prove to have been prophetic?
The AFL and Rugby League are tuning the game to suit public perception and whats on trend. Concussion long term effects are topical and wont be going away as more medical research comes to light and more players are diagnosed with issues.
No contact sport will want legal issues either and the game of AFL is going to become less of a physical spectacle in terms of bumps, tackling and we are probably watching the last era of full contact AFL.

Reply #40
Don't see how this is anything but clear cut.  McKay can't receive less than 8 weeks - accelerated launched braced and ran through him.   No eyes for ball,  no attempt at a tackle.  Only intention was to nail the opponent.  He chose to bump and he'll pay for it.

DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #41
 You've seen Gaelic football?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #42
Don't see how this is anything but clear cut.  McKay can't receive less than 8 weeks - accelerated launched braced and ran through him.   No eyes for ball,  no attempt at a tackle.  Only intention was to nail the opponent.  He chose to bump and he'll pay for it.

Yep..he will be having a long holiday and made an example of....if that was Buddy or Dusty though it would be accidental contact and they would be eligible to play in the Grand Final the next week.
The AFL got themselves a nobody player in Mackay they can give a good whipping and look like they care about head injuries.

Reply #43
Prof - with all that and the AFL consistency, $1,000 fine!

Reply #44
...and that's why I am disenfranchised with the AFL,  treat everyone the same, not in some Orwellian "some animals are more equal than others" fashion.    Plowman two weeks - fine - but don't pick and choose when to apply it after the point was supposedly made.

It's like "intentional" Vs.  'carelesss".  Give me a spell.   "I didn't know my fist was clenched and I was going to punch him"   really ?!?  Another vehicle used to downgrade charges.

Like Mumford.  He's been doing rubbish for years,  why wait until now to pull him up,  and why the wet lettuce fine when it happens?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?