Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game Premonitions: AFL 2021 Rd 14: Carlton vs GWS (Read 8289 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game Premonitions: AFL 2021 Rd 14: Carlton vs GWS

Reply #60
Agree but he did have good preseason didn't he? IMO opinion, he hasn't been the same since the suspension just before round 1. He needs a chance to settle into the way we play for sure, but I haven't been impressed with what he has produced to date. Harsh? Probably but its my opinion. I reckon if Zac looked in the mirror and was honest with himself, I think he would say he wouldn't be happy with his output.
This has been done to death, but Williams would admit he isn't fit and would admit his performance hasn't been up to scratch. He is still out there giving it a go....more so than some....and although he's had some shocking moments that have cost us goals, overall i think he's been OK considering what an up and down year he's had both physically and mentally.

I may be getting my wires crossed here, but from memory he was supposed to be swapping midfield/forward with Martin. Obviously Martin has been injured most of the year and that strategy went down the drain quick smart.

Reply #61
Possible Team Selection

Newman    Jones        Parks
Saad          Weitering   Williams
Dow         Cripps        Docherty
Fisher           De Koning   Martin
Betts           McKay          Silvagni
Pittonett    Curnow     Walsh

Stocker  Owies  Fogarty  Setterfield

Murphy (Medical)

Just chuckin' the magnets around!!

Reply #62
Townsend....who've you got as ins/outs from the Eagles game?

Reply #63
I think Phil Davis will be back for GWS which will make it a bit more difficult for us and we need another focal point rather than just kicking it to Harry. We also need to find a minder for Toby Greene, someone who can mind a man compete with him in the air and on the ground, Plowman will probably draw the short straw given he will be an automatic back in.
DeBoer will probably make it tough for Cripps leaving Walsh to carry the load, they may even pull another tag with Ward also likely to get a role on someone.
I'd also expect them to run three marking targets down forward to stretch us as well with Riccardi a likely back in after a blinder in the twos. Going to be a tough game in the coaches box for Teague and hopefully his assistants havent given it away with the Review on and likely casualties in the coaching box.

Reply #64
Plowman will probably draw the short straw given he will be an automatic back in.

Except he is still injured.

Coaches:  Who wants to mind Toby this week?
Players:
Coaches:  Anyone?
Players:
Coaches:  You will get a free pass for accountability for the next three games
Players:  Pick me, pick me

Reply #65
EB...pretty sure I read somewhere that Plowman is out for another week with the knee? He would've been the obvious choice for Green. That might mean that one of Saad, Docherty or Williams has to actually be accountable for a man.....or Newman? I think Green would be too strong in the air for Newman.

On the face of it, Townsend's lineup doesn't look too bad.....on paper!

I reckon Parks will have to play as a tall defender....as you say, they'll stretch us down back and the Levi experiment from a few weeks ago against Sydney didn't work.

I'd be playing Stocker in the middle this week....their midfield will have too much depth for us so we'll need all the help we've got. Hopefully the assignment on Ryan hasn't dented his confidence.

Reply #66
@Dodge and Surfie...thanks for the update on Plowman....maybe Docherty or Newman get Greene then.
Agree on Stocker...time for some midfield action before we damage the kid anymore.

Reply #67
Murph dropped
In Fog Parks Kennedy
Out Newnes Murph (omitted) Cottrell (omitted) Setters (inj)

Them
In Harry Perryman, Kieren Briggs, Phil Davis
Out Jake Stein (Omitted), Lachie Ash (Omitted), Shane Mumford (Injured), Xavier O'Halloran (Omitted)
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #68
Cheers GTC.....I'm happy with that. Cottrell, Newnes and Setterfield haven't done much in recent weeks...nor Murhpy. Parks probably only in for a bit of height which we're lacking down back. Fogarty has gone off the boil a bit after a good start to the season but he offers a chop out in the middle and competes pretty hard.

Kennedy offers that bigger bodied midfielder which I reckon we need against their midfield.

Not sure there were too many other options?

No Mumford.

Reply #69
In: Lachie Fogarty, Matthew Kennedy, Luke Parks
Out: Will Setterfield (inj), Matthew Cottrell, Marc Murphy, Jack Newnes

Reply #70
Murphy might struggle to get to the 300 unless he rips it up in the VFL in coming weeks.

Reply #71
Those ins don't inspire me.

But Mummy as an out does.

I'm happy with that. Cottrell, Newnes and Setterfield haven't done much in recent weeks...nor Murhpy.

Bit harsh on Newnes.
He was the sub last game, and wasn't picked for a month before that. No wonder he hasn't shown much, he's only played 1/2 a game.

Reply #72
Cheers GTC.....I'm happy with that. Cottrell, Newnes and Setterfield haven't done much in recent weeks...nor Murhpy. Parks probably only in for a bit of height which we're lacking down back. Fogarty has gone off the boil a bit after a good start to the season but he offers a chop out in the middle and competes pretty hard.

Kennedy offers that bigger bodied midfielder which I reckon we need against their midfield.

Not sure there were too many other options?

No Mumford.

Not much point having a "bigger bodied midfielder" if he doesn't get the ball.

I would play Kennedy as a lead up forward.  He mightn't do much there either but he will attract a taller defender. 

I hope Stocker doesn't get the job on Greene.  I would move Stocker to the midfield and start with Saad on Greene.  Saad may not have the toolkit to keep Toby quiet but making him chase and some defensive help could do the job.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #73
Those ins don't inspire me.

But Mummy as an out does.
Bit harsh on Newnes.
He was the sub last game, and wasn't picked for a month before that. No wonder he hasn't shown much, he's only played 1/2 a game.

Newnes was very average in the last reserves game ...
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #74
Murphy might struggle to get to the 300 unless he rips it up in the VFL in coming weeks.
Shouldn't have sooked up a few weeks ago, that'll learn ya Murph.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time