Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Frustrations: AFL 2021 Rd 14: Carlton vs GWS (Read 8995 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Frustrations: AFL 2021 Rd 14: Carlton vs GWS

Reply #30
I would actually take Buckley on to a serious role. He actually wasn’t a bad coach. Missed a flag by millimeters. We miss flags by light years at the moment.

Not if you count white flags 🏳

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #31
I would drop Martin and Williams......mistakes I can cop but effort is a non negotiable.
Carroll and Boyd can get a run this week and I'd even give Levi another go this time as 1st ruck.
Martin is a shadow of the bloke who kicked 4 goals on debut against Richmond, but I really don't think he isn't even close to 100%. So much tape on him he looks like the mummy. Thought Williams was OK and there ain't anyone in the magoos that I saw who would take his place.
Kennedy was good tonight. Is it because we played him on the ball?
Dow, got better as the game went on. Is it because we persisted with him on the ball?
Jones, good.
Saad, reasonably good.
Stocker. If someone could explain to me why he doesn't get a run on the ball I'd be grateful. Wasted in the back pocket and often played on the most dangerous small forward.
Docherty is a shell of the man who was once all Australian, but we need to be a bit more patient and hide him somewhere like half-forward.
Cripps had real intent tonight but he's a 50/50 when he has ball in hand.
Trying to find our next win?

Reply #32
I have to admit that I was wrong about Kennedy.  He was very good tonight.

If he can back that up, a new contract and a spot on the primary list is quite likely.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #33
I agree. Not sure it would have made much of a difference tonight, but It's the same stunt they pulled in 2015, announcing a massive rebuild in R2. It adds more instability to what is already an unstable organisation.

Dumb decisions.
The fish rots from the head.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #34
Martin is a shadow of the bloke who kicked 4 goals on debut against Richmond, but I really don't think he isn't even close to 100%. So much tape on him he looks like the mummy. Thought Williams was OK and there ain't anyone in the magoos that I saw who would take his place.
Kennedy was good tonight. Is it because we played him on the ball?
Dow, got better as the game went on. Is it because we persisted with him on the ball?
Jones, good.
Saad, reasonably good.
Stocker. If someone could explain to me why he doesn't get a run on the ball I'd be grateful. Wasted in the back pocket and often played on the most dangerous small forward.
Docherty is a shell of the man who was once all Australian, but we need to be a bit more patient and hide him somewhere like half-forward.
Cripps had real intent tonight but he's a 50/50 when he has ball in hand.
Trying to find our next win?
I was a Dow fan at U18 level but even tonight 13 possies @54%DE he is going to be struggling to stay on the list.
In fairness to Dow and to his mate LOB they havent had much senior support apart from the usual suspects to learn off and its
very hard to make progress when half your teammates cant be bothered turning up but still want their pay cheques every month.
Kennedy was good tonight but is that soldier like Ed who will give effort but isnt ever going to be a game breaker but at least he gave effort and he should have been played in the middle more often and got more games.
Docherty is a shell of the reliable warrior he was, started well but then got the fumbles and fell away in confidence...

Reply #35
Also who is responsible for teaching the players to stand 5m from their player? They can be sacked tonight

Reply #36
I have to admit that I was wrong about Kennedy.  He was very good tonight.

If he can back that up, a new contract and a spot on the primary list is quite likely.
Be the first dropped if he has a poor one next week, he has never had that leeway that other players have.
He tends to play some good games then get injured as well which sets him back, wish him well but I think he could be a fall guy at seasons end.

Reply #37
I agree. Not sure it would have made much of a difference tonight, but It's the same stunt they pulled in 2015, announcing a massive rebuild in R2. It adds more instability to what is already an unstable organisation.

I was thinking that the review and the effect on the players was the "elephant in the room."
How has it impacted the playing group.

I guess the question is "Even though it was our worst loss this year was it really much different to some of our previous performances."

I suspect we have a great variation in our level of commitment through the playing list.
Some will give you 100% every game, even if they lose their matchups throughout the game.
I reckon some may have already checked out and be looking for a move.
We may even have players on good money who are a bit too comfortable with their lot.
There may be players who feel they deserve games yet are constantly overlooked.

The result of this can manifest itself in a lack of unity in the playing group, divisions and cliques.
Maybe the review will unearth some of these issues.

Reply #38
I reckon I should go to bed. You can only bash you head against a brick sitting around talking about our performances.

Reply #39
I reckon I should go to bed. You can only bash you head against a brick sitting around talking about our performances.
Might watch India vs NZ in the test final, could be a bit more competitive...

Reply #40
Kennedy was good tonight but is that soldier like Ed who will give effort but isnt ever going to be a game breaker but at least he gave effort and he should have been played in the middle more often and got more games.

We need soldiers.
He needs consistency.

Reply #41
Just back from watching my 3rd game live in 4 weeks - my 11yo son is still to see them win a game live!

Anyone who thinks their is not a huge problem is having themselves on - the difference in work rate, effort and intensity between us and our opponents is staggeringly bad. And our opponents know it - the opposition midfielders lick their lips when they play us because it will be the easiest 25 possession game they will get all year, and their is little of chance of even getting tackled.

The first half was appalling coming off 2 terrible efforts - they had 2 weeks to prepare and they laid 20 odd tackles. Every time the ball went inside 50 they looked likely to score. At half time 5 of our starting backline had not laid a tackle during 30 inside 50’s - it’s simply amazing that could even statistically happen.

When we lift our intensity and play with some spirit for 10-15 minutes we look competitive and we can score. But then we get opened up so easily and we can’t sustain the effort. It’s been exactly the same thing each week.

I can’t see Teague surviving - it’s not just the losses but how easily we turn it up. Opposition teams pay us zero respect and nor should they - they know if they just keep running and putting pressure on us we will fold and give up the fight. We are reduced to a laughing stock.

The club needs a Ross Lyon or Clarko to get the physical standards and effort levels to a much higher level than what they are now. It is simply soul destroying to watch how insipid this group has become and like most on here I’m finding it very hard to maintain any interest or passion given what they are currently dishing up. 

Reply #42
The club needs a Ross Lyon or Clarko to get the physical standards and effort levels to a much higher level than what they are now. It is simply soul destroying to watch how insipid this group has become and like most on here I’m finding it very hard to maintain any interest or passion given what they are currently dishing up.

We've had that. Same result. Not many with better records and a harder edge than Malthouse. Same thing, decent first year, by the 3rd year players had turned their toes up. Same with the next two coaches, good first year, 3rd year and they've turned up their toes.

Reply #43
Yep, same old same old. Just a shame that someone like Walsh has ended up with us. How demoralising. You only have to watch any kick-out from any opposition  to see where we are at. No pressure. No intensity. No accountability. It's as though the direction is to give your opponent the out. Maybe the thinking is if we allow the uncontested possession for long enough our opponent's will turn it over and we'll make them pay.

Reply #44
You only have to watch any kick-out from any opposition  to see where we are at. No pressure. No intensity. No accountability.
This is what i don’t get - where does this come from? Who ever on any footy ground no matter the league, find it acceptable? I just don’t get it.