Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Frustrations: AFL 2021 Rd 14: Carlton vs GWS (Read 9134 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Frustrations: AFL 2021 Rd 14: Carlton vs GWS

Reply #60

Some good signs from Dow.

Kennedy got better as the game went on, still not sure he's up to AFL standard though.

Martin and Williams not doing enough for their pay packets.

Bad kicking all over the ground kept us out of the game. Entry inside 50. Shots at goal. Not good enough.

Some good signs from Dow.  Agreed and we have no better options so give him a series of games.

Kennedy still not sure he's up to AFL standard though - Agreed, although I thought he was our best player in the 2nd half. Lacks the pace and too slow to release the ball to play midfield until other players slow down - might be a better forward option than Martin with occasional runs in the midfield.

Martin and Williams not doing enough for their pay packets. Agreed - especially Martin.

Not good enough. Only competitive on the rare occasions that we will centre clearances. Walsh subdued = lack of drive.

Reply #62
Green shoots anyone? Is it time to go back to square one and draft players with heart, endeavour, desperation
oh and that can hit a target 20m away
  And, especially pace

Reply #63
I have to admit that I was wrong about Kennedy.  He was very good tonight.

If he can back that up, a new contract and a spot on the primary list is quite likely.
  No thanks - We have too many slow players who can't catch a cold unless it runs into them.

Reply #64
I believe that constant bad decisions made with the trading of players and at the draft over at least the past fifteen years or so have finally come to bite us on the backside.

We had expected the signing of "hero" players such as Judd would be the answer to moving up the ladder and ignored the problems that come with having a non competitive list year after year.

When injuries are taken into account we have been left with too many players of mediocre ability getting games every week because the cupboard is bare and there is no pressure to perform. 

We have reached the point where in addition to our lack of skills we have players whose mental attitude is also in question - where they believe turning up and going through the motions is good enough because they will still be paid for minimum effort and no consequences.

Mostly true - the only argument from me is in the following phrase "have FINALLY come to bite us on the backside" - it started with the Wayne Hughes recruiting era and the downhill momentum has continued since.

Reply #65

- Defence: Probably our worse line ATM and the worst in the comp.
- Tackling and pressure on the opo ball carrier is non existent.
- Tackling and pressure on our ball carrier is immense.

- Defence: Probably our worse line ATM and the worst in the comp.  I reckon most  of our defenders play with intensity (except for the occasional brain fade) but it is hard to play an 18-man defence with several running on half rat power.
- Tackling and pressure on the opo ball carrier is non existent. All too true - today's AFL players (not including ours) have no difficulty delivering the ball on target (or at least to advantage) when they are under no pressure. Many of our players lack the physical capacity to chase and apply pressure and/or the mental desire to do so.
- Tackling and pressure on our ball carrier is immense - which explains why many of our players can't deliver the ball.

Reply #66
I'll put one out there, noting all are culpable.
JSOS.
4.9 this year, his regulation 0.2 before half time.
Atrocious output as a 3rd tall. Quite frankly Crocker would offer far more scoreboard impact.

Fly, while I concede the numbers don't stack up well for the kid I think that a lot of that has to do with him doing the TEAM things instead of selfish stuff. Too many times he tries to setup his teammate rather than kick the goal himself. I do think from limited opportunities he is an unreliable kick for goal. However, he ain't on his own there. The big plus for the kid is no-one works as hard and we have so few of those types in our team at the moment
I would have been OK with picking up Crocker, but he is, IMO, while clever and a good kick not as hard working and we have plenty of those types.

Reply #67
Dunno if this was posted elsewhere but Rendell reckons its experience (players above 28) that's lacking:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/blues-have-a-big-hole-in-their-list-that-only-time-will-heal-20210615-p58138.html?fbclid=IwAR33_74OdqeVD8c9PPkwp7FASiAC0_gC0LBfFl3gMG314ptnQU5sHfiMFfY

This, IMO, is closest to the pin. I don't agree with the fat cat, lazy player theory. Teague was assistant coach here before he got the main gig. If the fat cat theory is true, then he's either blind, foolish, or naive in thinking that he could overcome where many other coaches have failed. I think the board and executive have caused a lot of instability over the years, which has a slow, corrosive effect on player culture. Imagine yourself as a worker in a large organisation, and there is constant change with the higher ups - it causes doubt, and a lack of belief in the company, direction etc. Players are no different. They feed off what happens above them.

Reply #68
And what I wrote above applies to Ratten at St Kilda IMO.

Reply #69
This, IMO, is closest to the pin. I don't agree with the fat cat, lazy player theory. Teague was assistant coach here before he got the main gig. If the fat cat theory is true, then he's either blind, foolish, or naive in thinking that he could overcome where many other coaches have failed. I think the board and executive have caused a lot of instability over the years, which has a slow, corrosive effect on player culture. Imagine yourself as a worker in a large organisation, and there is contents change with the higher ups - it causes doubt, and a lack of belief in the company, direction etc. Players are no different. They feed off what happens above them.
For most of the game last night, the group as a whole looked as flat and disinterested as I have seen in a long time.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #70
Some good signs from Dow.  Agreed and we have no better options so give him a series of games.

Dow lead Carlton players with 4 centre clearances, 5 total clearances, 7 ground ball gets (2nd to Walsh with 8) and 9 contested possessions (4th).

When he is allowed to play in the middle, he can win the football.    

The issue is when he has the football.    I would play him in the middle for the remainder of the season.

Reply #71
For most of the game last night, the group as a whole looked as flat and disinterested as I have seen in a long time.

Yes, but this happens often. After the GWS game near the end of Bolton's tenure, the players had the big honesty session, where home truths were told etc. They show a bit, then go back into their shells, then have a big pow wow, then show a bit, then go back into their shells etc. There's always positive energy with a new coach, then over a very short period of time it fizzles.

Reply #72
Some of our defenders don't want to defend, it's not even a case of intenstity.
We have too many chasing the easy kick or standing around guarding grass.
They are never near their opponent and give up easily when their opponent leads hard.
Jones and Weitering excepted even though Jones over commits at times.
Parks is a VFL defender, having him on anyone decent is a nightmare waiting to happen. Swans didn't want him with good reason...
The lack of physicality is alarming and has led to this bruise free brand we play.
Being out muscled by a soft bunch like GWS is about as bad as it gets when everyone knows they are a team that doesn't like it hard. Speaking of hard I saw SPS pull up in another contest in the VFL and Murphy was doing his best to avoid contact as well.
Every player we bring to the club now has to be one that enjoys contesting, is disciplined, a decent size and comes ready to play.
No more little kids or pretty players who want dance around the edges and leave everything to players like Walsh.

Reply #73
We are a joke of a club and my 15 straight years of membership will end this year. They have seen the last of my money.  I was close to stopping last year but that’s it now. Last night was the last straw.

Our once feared and respected club is now from the very top to very bottom an absolute shambles and after such a heavy rebuild to be in this position is a disgrace and a failure across all levels.

So after 6 years being sh1tecanned getting hammered bottom 4 finishes year after year a ton of early picks we are left with only Weitering, Walsh and Harry to be excited about and to now try and do another rebuild around.

The rest of the list are either not going to make it or is over rated with massive flaws.

Should be only needing to tweak things yet we need another clean out and to practically start again.

I’m sure I’m not on my own but I’m over them.

Reply #74
The showed some stats from the first qtr on Ch 9
Carlton at Qtr Time
102 disposals to 75
25 tackles to 12
29 marks to 20
18 inside 50s to 8
Thats a terrible response from a club under siege and following a break which included some soul searching. Thats players not being accountable.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time