Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Frustrations: AFL 2021 Rd 14: Carlton vs GWS (Read 8819 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Frustrations: AFL 2021 Rd 14: Carlton vs GWS

Reply #45
This is what i don’t get - where does this come from? Who ever on any footy ground no matter the league, find it acceptable? I just don’t get it.

I believe that constant bad decisions made with the trading of players and at the draft over at least the past fifteen years or so have finally come to bite us on the backside.

We had expected the signing of "hero" players such as Judd would be the answer to moving up the ladder and ignored the problems that come with having a non competitive list year after year.

When injuries are taken into account we have been left with too many players of mediocre ability getting games every week because the cupboard is bare and there is no pressure to perform. 

We have reached the point where in addition to our lack of skills we have players whose mental attitude is also in question - where they believe turning up and going through the motions is good enough because they will still be paid for minimum effort and no consequences.

If the external review recommends that we need a new coach and/or a rebuild, then so be it.

Surely the disgraceful first half tonight must be a line in the sand moment. 

Reply #46
It was truly deplorable.  I do however, detect an undercurrent of player frustration with the game plan and maybe some sour views of our recent recruits and their contracts.

4 / 9 is nowhere near where I expected we'd be.  Been saying for weeks we were never going to play finals and that is now an impossible target.

It's not just on Teague by any stretch.  Half hearted efforts by a large group of players is demoralising and for many, simply inexcusable.

God help me, I could go on, but this is, largely, a selfish list.  I was just a kid when we won '68 and my father had waited since '45 for a flag.  I asked him night prior how he'd feel if we lost.

He looked up at me and simply said, "a bear with a sore head".

And here I am today, having waited longer .... 

Reply #47
Hasn't bringing in all these hired guns like Martin on big coin been a roaring success.

Examples need to be made.   The fact that blokes get dropped and barely go at half rat power in the two's highlights that they aren't the blokes we need.   Fine.  Here's your money,  now GAFO.   Play people who want it,  and if required.... go and find some.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #48
For whatever reasons, and we can go on speculating, player morale is clearly shot based on last night’s performance alone. No belief and no sustained effort. If the review fails to address the true causes of this then it will be yet another waste of time and our suffering will continue. I am even more depressed.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #49
Carlton's review has finished and the findings have been published.
The thorough external review went through the whole club and came to the conclusion late last night.
Two issues have been reported on and highlighted.
The review panel found for the last 20 years player's sandwiches have been cut in squares, but all players preferred triangles.
The other stark finding was players were not having bed time stories read to them.
This startling finding has forced the club to form a committee on how to tackle the problems.
This news creates an obvious explanation as to why each Carlton team who has run out for the last 20 years has no resemblance to any Carlton team prior.
A spokesman from the club who was excited by the news said, it's only a matter of time for the famous Carlton swagger to be back.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #50
It was truly deplorable.  I do however, detect an undercurrent of player frustration with the game plan and maybe some sour views of our recent recruits and their contracts.

4 / 9 is nowhere near where I expected we'd be.  Been saying for weeks we were never going to play finals and that is now an impossible target.

It's not just on Teague by any stretch.  Half hearted efforts by a large group of players is demoralising and for many, simply inexcusable.

God help me, I could go on, but this is, largely, a selfish list.  I was just a kid when we won '68 and my father had waited since '45 for a flag.  I asked him night prior how he'd feel if we lost.

He looked up at me and simply said, "a bear with a sore head".

And here I am today, having waited longer .... 

Game plan? There is one? Apart from the obvious lack of effort and commitment by many, our game plan allows for 10-20 of decent footy and that's it. Let me highlight some:
- Our kicking out is atrocious, the players appear clue less and struggle to penetrate most oppo set ups a lot of the time.
- Defence: Probably our worse line ATM and the worst in the comp.
- Tackling and pressure on the opo ball carrier is non existent.
- Tackling and pressure on our ball carrier is immense.
- Our delivery into the forward line is shambolic. Kicks to 1 v 2 or 3, kicks straight to defenders who lead our fwds to the ball. Is this an instruction?
- If Richmonds game plan is based on manic pressure and fwd movement of the ball at all costs, ours is the complete opposite. Bruise free, uncontested, guarding grass. Our structures are terrible for most of the game (save for a patches here and there).

Whilst not a game plan issue, our skill level is abysmal. I have little confidence with the majority of our players with ball in hand. Kicks that fall short, loopy high kicks that give the opo time to get across or close in, hand balls at the feet or wide, its constant week in week out.

I have now idea what they are going to do about it but we are so far off the mark its not funny.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #51
I'll put one out there, noting all are culpable.

JSOS.

4.9 this year, his regulation 0.2 before half time.

Atrocious output as a 3rd tall. Quite frankly Crocker would offer far more scoreboard impact.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #52

JSOS.

Atrocious output as a 3rd tall. Quite frankly Crocker would offer far more scoreboard impact.

You're 100% right about Jack Fly, but to pick out players in that hot steaming turd is harsh for mine. Its a mess across the board.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #53
The abject mental capitulation and total lack of confidence of the players in themselves, the coach and the club greatly worries me.   We could recruit Parkin as coach and a bevy of guns but our problems aren't ability,  it's culture and attitude.   This changes,  to me at least,  the kind of bloke we need as coach.  I think we have the ability, but between the ears is the problem.

Oh,  and I'd sack the non hackers on the spot.... They've had plenty of chances to put in, but they don't can't or won't.   That's a terrible indictment on a playing group.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #54
When does cricket season start?

Reply #55

JSOS.

Think that’s very harsh, kid tries his guts out with less natural ability than others that do SFA.

Confidence is the key I think - the ball dropped between Dow and maybe Owies and Owies Sheparded for Dow who stood back watching! Why didn’t he go in and get the ball? You can’t say most AFL players don’t have courage so what was that? I assume confidence to try and ‘do the right thing’ all the time.

Has Cripps lost a lot of muscle? He can’t break any tackle. Nor can any of our team.  Where’s the fitness guru?

It is sad and yea we weren’t winning and were just plodding along with the season but we’d not had much continuity with players together - the media started up and suddenly new prez of Carlton calls a  review and gee didn’t that show how confident the players felt with that, last night!

Reply #56
The abject mental capitulation and total lack of confidence of the players in themselves, the coach and the club greatly worries me.   We could recruit Parkin as coach and a bevy of guns but our problems aren't ability,  it's culture and attitude.   This changes,  to me at least,  the kind of bloke we need as coach.  I think we have the ability, but between the ears is the problem.

Oh,  and I'd sack the non hackers on the spot.... They've had plenty of chances to put in, but they don't can't or won't.   That's a terrible indictment on a playing group.

Nice summary, Professory.

Even the Kangabies have shown more improvement this year. What an indictment. We are a bottom 4 side... and sliding.

Totally bereft of the basics that make a good football side, let alone a finalist, let alone top 4, let alone a contender.

Stanton laughing while our team flails is etched in my mind. FO d1ckhead... hand in your resignation Monday.

We definitely need a senior coach who is a club leader, someone who values defense and team, someone who commands respect. The TT is too naive, one dimensional and even tempered for the job. Giant disappointment. We exchange one set of training wheels, for another set of training wheels.

You'd have reasonably thought that everyone would have been galvanized by the independent review, to put their best foot forward last night. We did for the first 5 bounce ups... then, as you say Professory, capitulated. GWS relax a little in the 3rd, we rally, they focus again, we wilt. No mental toughness at all... only confusion, individualism, softness and then more confusion - spiritless, soulless.

We have the talent, of that I have absolutely no doubt. But when you plug in a poor game plan... well, even the best can and will perform below par, or even worse.

Time to fast track this review and implement meaningful, swift change before all is lost.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #57

And a bl00dy horrible verdict handed down on recruiting.  FFS, our player management  and detecting talent has been woeful.  We're now reaping the reward from years of ineptitude.   

Thanks Silvagni ...

Reply #58

We have the talent, of that I have absolutely no doubt.

Do we though Baggers? I'm not so sure anymore, some of the things I see have nothing to do with game plan.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #59
Dunno if this was posted elsewhere but Rendell reckons its experience (players above 28) that's lacking:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/blues-have-a-big-hole-in-their-list-that-only-time-will-heal-20210615-p58138.html?fbclid=IwAR33_74OdqeVD8c9PPkwp7FASiAC0_gC0LBfFl3gMG314ptnQU5sHfiMFfY
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th