Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2022 Rd 13 Carlton vs Footscray (Read 2701 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2022 Rd 13 Carlton vs Footscray

Reply #45
You are talking mostly about his pre-Development junior career, if I applied the same logic to Weitering he should be playing as a CHF, I think he still holds some sort of junior Mt Martha goal kicking record! He was so good as a junior CHF in about u15s/u16s he kicked a dozen of more goals for his team in just a half of football, then swapped sides to play for the opposition and kicked another bag of goals for the opposition after half-time, but we play him at fullback! ;)

The bulk of Kemps pre-draft season, the season that caught everyone's attention, he was played as a utility, he was all over the ground with the majority being on the ball or up forward. Prior to that he was a vanilla intercept defender who was going to be taken late in the draft. When he displayed his wares as a midfielder / forward he became a 1st round draft pick!

I don't see the point of denying this history, everyone can argue whether it is right or wrong as an assessment, but it's a bit ridiculous to somehow assert that it never happened.

No LP, I am talking about his immediate pre-draft footy.  The narrative is that Kemp was supposed to be tried in the midfield but his ACL meant that it never happened.

More importantly, he hasn’t shown any midfielder attributes in his time with us.

Of course, Kemp could have a turn in the midfield, much like Jack used to before he became a ruckman, but it would be occasional and probably to create a mismatch or nullify an opposition mid. 

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #46
No LP, I am talking about his immediate pre-draft footy.  The narrative is that Kemp was supposed to be tried in the midfield but his ACL meant that it never happened.

More importantly, he hasn’t shown any midfielder attributes in his time with us.
Firstly, you might well be the only person who sees that history like that, I've no idea why you are hell bent on dismissing what actually happened and rewriting history.

Secondly, we've not played him there because he arrived injured and from the moment he started rehab we slated him to play behind the footy.  We even held discussions on this forum about it, that running in straight lines might be a better option for a kid recovering from a knee, a better option to twisting and turning in the midfield.

Probably the real truth is that it was more due to BB's defensive mindset and our immediate need rather than what might be best for the player, there were even a lot of people still slagging off Weiters as a viable KPD at the time Kemp was began training!

But then again, some people are just stubborn, like those still asserting Ben Silvagni has somehow been maligned as a KPD player!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #48
A post draft excerpt, accompanied by marketing showing Kemp with Walsh presenting him with the AFL U18 AA guernsey.

Quote from: The Bendigo Advertiser
Brodie Kemp's versatility makes him an appealing player. At 193cm he has played as a key defender and a marking forward, but it's in the midfield that he feels his future lies.

"I think where I can reach the best potential of my footy is probably through the midfield, At the start of this year (2019) it was a big focus to challenge myself in that area and mould myself into what the game's allowing those bigger bodied midfielders [to do]", he said

"The midfield position will probably be the position where I can achieve the best footy I can play."

The Force Awakens!

Reply #49
I quite like the idea of having Kemp in the midfield, assuming we get a bit of height back. He is mobile and attacks the ball quite well, and very few mids out there could compete with him in the air. He isn't slow either.
I wouldn't mind if we managed to find a young mid with real extreme pace to break out of the centre square: it is probably the only sort of mid we don't really have yet. Fisher is the closest. It just gives us that little bit extra, which I would love.
But we already have issues fitting all out top mids in the centre square. Now that Dow and Setterfield are finally showing something, they can't get a look-in.
I still like the idea of Kemp as a mid, but I don't think we can afford it at the moment.

Later in the year I would be quite amenable to giving him time in there at VFL level to see how he can produce.

To be honest, we don't have a bad bunch of taller players. Their problem as a group is that they can't stay on the field. It means that we'll probably look for a key defender at the draft, someone like Gibcus. Perhaps we can snaffle one on the cheap, but I would like another top defender down there.
Oscar Mac, alas, has had it. back injuries are very difficult to come back from, as he has demonstrated. I know that wasn't specifically why Melbourne flicked him, but he filled the bill for us perfectly. He just wasn't able to stay on the park.
He could well have become our Petty, the third tall defender at Melbourne who get most of the hard jobs. It would be nice if we can aim for someone like that, especially if there is a physical defender out there who is not getting the game time for one reason or another.

I am happy to see Michael Lewis and Tyreece Liu playing in the VFL at the moment. They mightn't be the players to fix the key posts, but I'd like to see them get a chance to show what they can do. Certainly Liu played his best game at the weekend, after Akuei went off with concussion.
Live Long and Prosper!