Skip to main content
Topic: Abbott must go, arise Sir Malcolm! (Read 79104 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Abbott must go, arise Sir Malcolm!

Reply #30
Can't stand Abbott but don't see Turnbull as much of an improvement to be honest.

Just wish Labour had a couple of decent leaders in the ranks ...........
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #31
Was just reading a news report on the proposed dismantling of carbon tax legislation and cracked up laughing when I read the nickname Abbott used to refer to Shorten...."Electricity Bill" pmsl
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #32
What a wasted exercise voting is.

The eventual winning hero sticks around long enough to become the villian, and more often the people are to choose for the lesser of two evils.

We are given the illusion of choice where the choice is akin to monty pythons Judean People's Front or the People's Front if Judea.

They may as well cut funding for it and save us from ripping ourselves off.  I cant help but think that it might save more money than any other government will if we didnt have to vote.  Sure we all want a voice but in this contect i wonder if they just bamboozle us into q no choice situation.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #33
Was just reading a news report on the proposed dismantling of carbon tax legislation and cracked up laughing when I read the nickname Abbott used to refer to Shorten...."Electricity Bill" pmsl

Used it again this morning...
Laurie Oakes wasn't impressed.. "He'll have to do better than that."

The "Electricity Bill" thing is obviously a strategy some genius in the backroom has thought up.
It'll get a chuckle the first time we hear it but it will quickly get a bit lame if it's used constantly (as I suspect it will) over the coming weeks.

Reply #34
There in lays the rub, if apathy rules the likes of Abbott win and that would be bad for all of us!

The younguns know the state of play far better than we give them credit for. Through the skills they garnish from using social media they are far more up to date than older people give them credit for. But the young have to be aware that for a short term impact they must also take on traditional media, in the long term the young will win, the likes of Murdoch are deprecated already he just doesn't know it. The Murdoch's of the world a pushing to segregate the privatise the Internet as I type by network control, but they have little hope. TCP/IP was designed by idealogs to avoid just such a possibility.

The oldies, the silver haired blue rinse set, they keep buying a daily copy of Murdoch's dunny rolls to read before wiping their wrinkly ar5e on it. They suck down vitriolic content from those aligned to the likes of Jones and Bolt as daily transfusion for a dying vampire, as they ponder bitterly where their life has gone and why the mirror looks the way it does and if they can raise the rent on another five properties. Jones specifically goes the whole hog, he is too old to change, and he will organise more PM private yacht tours and get his head patted completely bald by the NSW Right.

Bolt is more cunning, he is already starting to distance himself from the Murdoch stance. He knows his long term future will lie elsewhere and he won't attach himself to the decaying so strongly, but he won't be moved from the dinner table just yet, there are more courses to come. He is arrogant, but not imbecilic like Jones, Jones is too near the end.

In the meantime Abbott continues to crumble Australia's reputation, the world thinks we have voted in a Redneck and has labeled us all the same. The US has politicians like Abbott, Tea Partarians, but even the US wasn't stupid enough to vote them into power, at least not yet!

References to GOP may be all too valid!

As for that "Electricity Bill" tag it is ironic to see Abbott reverting to Keatonian references, but then again I wonder who Abbott's political hero's really are?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #35

In the meantime Abbott continues to crumble Australia's reputation, the world thinks we have voted in a Redneck and has labeled us all the same. The US has politicians like Abbott, Tea Partarians, but even the US wasn't stupid enough to vote them into power, at least not yet!

You're the second person I've heard/seen refer to the Tea party this morning.
The first was Tony Abbott :D
He was using it in a derogatory fashion to describe the Labor Party's tactics.

Politics is funny. ;D

Reply #36
How's your ABC sound technician illegitimate son going, Tony?

Reply #37
There in lays the rub, if apathy rules the likes of Abbott win and that would be bad for all of us!

Don't call it apathy.  You give too much credit to our "rulers". 

I care.  I legitimately am given no choice.  I cant throw my vote away as a donkey vote empowers the people already running the country.

I can vote for some minority sex party, pirate party, etc but they are idealists who will never be able to influence real change.  Instead I get to choose Moron A vs Moron B with the major thing differenciating the two is how they will waste tax payers money on different schemes that are also not there to make a real difference but are policies built on winning votes and public perception of making a difference.

I work in the public sector.  My view on governments and how they use money has shifted vastly after seeing just how they use money in public health.  Its downright diabolical in terms of how they infringe on people's rights in the name of accounting.  Not to mention they shuffle money in buckets in order to show that they are spending less here and wasting it over somewhere else instead so they can keep their budget size.  Not to mention the end of financial year spending on things that are not required in order to keep that same level of funding in their budget.  Ive seen some very expensive equipment replaced and thrown away as not for profit organisations cant do anything with an income.

:(

There must be a better way of doing things.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #38

The younguns know the state of play far better than we give them credit for. Through the skills they garnish from using social media they are far more up to date than older people give them credit for. But the young have to be aware that for a short term impact they must also take on traditional media, in the long term the young will win, the likes of Murdoch are deprecated already he just doesn't know it. The Murdoch's of the world a pushing to segregate the privatise the Internet as I type by network control, but they have little hope. TCP/IP was designed by idealogs to avoid just such a possibility.

The oldies, the silver haired blue rinse set, they keep buying a daily copy of Murdoch's dunny rolls to read before wiping their wrinkly ar5e on it. They suck down vitriolic content from those aligned to the likes of Jones and Bolt as daily transfusion for a dying vampire, as they ponder bitterly where their life has gone and why the mirror looks the way it does and if they can raise the rent on another five properties. Jones specifically goes the whole hog, he is too old to change, and he will organise more PM private yacht tours and get his head patted completely bald by the NSW Right.

Bolt is more cunning, he is already starting to distance himself from the Murdoch stance. He knows his long term future will lie elsewhere and he won't attach himself to the decaying so strongly, but he won't be moved from the dinner table just yet, there are more courses to come. He is arrogant, but not imbecilic like Jones, Jones is too near the end.

References to GOP may be all too valid!

As for that "Electricity Bill" tag it is ironic to see Abbott reverting to Keatonian references, but then again I wonder who Abbott's political hero's really are?

If you truly believe support for either party is defined by age groups, you need to look again.  There's a reason the LNP are in power ... and it isn't for their policies ....

The utter incompetence of the labor party together with their decision to align themsleves with fringe parties have killed them for three elections.

Reply #39
If you truly believe support for either party is defined by age groups, you need to look again.  There's a reason the LNP are in power ... and it isn't for their policies ....

The utter incompetence of the labor party together with their decision to align themsleves with fringe parties have killed them for three elections.

I didn't make an assertion about an ageist electorate, I did talk about the alignment of elderly voters to the LNP and their dependence on traditional media for the daily grind. But I did not talk about the alignments of young voters or the middle aged, my general comments were specifically apolitical.

I referred to the apathy of the middle aged and I also discussed the awareness of the young voters relative to the rest of the electorate. I suspect Abbott's policy of silence will not wash with the kids who do not rely on Murdoch media for their information, and Abbott's support from people who keep young ones out of the housing market will act as a negative for him within a short period of time. The time when controlling the media determines your fate is quickly passing for politicians, and I suspect Abbott is just such a relic of the old ways who's time has passed. Politics is no longer conducted in the church hall while you are busy counting the Sunday collections!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #40
You're the second person I've heard/seen refer to the Tea party this morning.
The first was Tony Abbott :D
He was using it in a derogatory fashion to describe the Labor Party's tactics.

Politics is funny. ;D

It is truly ironic that Abbott throws such a rock, it is like he was trying to get in first, the accused accusing the accuser!

But seriously, the Tea Party is right wing fundamentalist Christian discrimination masquerading as a workers political movement. Over here the Exclusive Brethren would be a major backer.

In the meantime under Abbott's revisions, rewards for his supporters some claim, media pundits like Alan Jones and Andrew Bolt can now sledge their critics using descriptions of their skin color as part of the political debate and feel protected. Yet it is "The Others" who are the Tea Party! Really!

Any of you "pale aboriginals" as Bolt allegedly describes you who now take offense bad luck!

In Asia, critics would say Tony Abbott has no face.

All these events just aren't right, and that is without discussing Thryleon's economic argument, or the slashing of research related positions and loss of the associated jobs in bureaucracy. All we hear about is the unions related redundancies, for every one in that sector there may be an equivalent in academia, research or bureaucracy that is not union aligned.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #41
The time when controlling the media determines your fate is quickly passing for politicians, and I suspect Abbott is just such a relic of the old ways who's time has passed. Politics is no longer conducted in the church hall while you are busy counting the Sunday collections!

That's what they used to say about Howard ;)
You can't say his time has passed....it's right NOW!
PM is as good as it gets.

I'm not sure he'll last though.....although, once again....that's what they used to say about Howard.

Reply #42

I'm not sure he'll last though.....although, once again....that's what they used to say about Howard.

Hard to see him losing the next election and probably the one after that.

Reply #43

I didn't make an assertion about an ageist electorate, I did talk about the alignment of elderly voters to the LNP and their dependence on traditional media for the daily grind. But I did not talk about the alignments of young voters or the middle aged, my general comments were specifically apolitical.

I referred to the apathy of the middle aged and I also discussed the awareness of the young voters relative to the rest of the electorate. I suspect Abbott's policy of silence will not wash with the kids who do not rely on Murdoch media for their information, and Abbott's support from people who keep young ones out of the housing market will act as a negative for him within a short period of time. The time when controlling the media determines your fate is quickly passing for politicians, and I suspect Abbott is just such a relic of the old ways who's time has passed. Politics is no longer conducted in the church hall while you are busy counting the Sunday collections!

Suggest you conduct a poll in the western and northern suburbs of Melbourne and ask those 50 and over their political affiliations.  You might be surprised .....

You associate the Murdoch media with the same age group ... fine .... understand that .... but "getup" and the ABC could hardly be construed as even handed either, a situation I find amazing given their charter requires balanced reporting, particularly given they're funded from the public purse.

You suggest our reputation overseas has already been tarnished by a guy who's been in the chair for five minutes.  Even if that was true (and by any measurement, I don't consider it's correct) I'd prefer a leader of ANY persuasion that makes decisions in what he believes are the best interests of the country rather than surrender our rights / revenues to the U.N. or slavishly follow what might be fashionable politics in Asia, Europe, the Americas or anywhere else for that matter.

Reply #44
Suggest you conduct a poll in the western and northern suburbs of Melbourne and ask those 50 and over their political affiliations.  You might be surprised .....

You associate the Murdoch media with the same age group ... fine .... understand that .... but "getup" and the ABC could hardly be construed as even handed either, a situation I find amazing given their charter requires balanced reporting, particularly given they're funded from the public purse.

It terms of the silvered haired there is a world if difference between voters and supporters, have you ever attended a liberal party function or branch meeting? The people pouring money into the cause at grass roots level are mostly 60+, they are closer to Bronwyn Bishop than Carrie Bickmoore, Sophie Mirabella may be considered a spring chicken!

Getup can do whatever they like, they are a political entity, nobody sees them as any different. Are you implying because they oppose many Coalition policies, as well as some ALP and Greens policies, that they must be silenced? If so this concept of silence seems to becoming a trend, are only Tories allowed a voice?

FWIW, I gather you won't comprehend this because you have your capitalist suit of armor on. I am not anti-Coalition but Tony Abbott is clearly a hack, and it is quite ironic to me that a party famous for highlighting the leadership issues of it's opponents has picked a head kicker and not much else as leader! Was it from fear of a republic, it's not Rome 500BC is it?

The general perceptions of the ABC that are touted by the Coalition are abhorrent, a swinging voter like myself fails to see the bias you report and many Nationals Party members actively support the ABC. But I do see a very real attempt by the Liberals to sway the editorials by withholding funding, canceling contracts or dismissing staff. More silencing going on there it seems!

But regardless, even if you think they have as much impact as a Jones or a Bolt you are gravely mistaken. They are the national broadcaster, they should be supported by the Federal government of the day, it will not always be the case that News Corp is on the Coalitions bench! In fact we have already seen since the election a flip in published News Ltd rhetoric from the pre-election "Get rid of these ALP hacks" to the post-election "Abbott LNP Climate Change Calamity!" But that is expected, they maximise their profits by creating debate and division.

You suggest our reputation overseas has already been tarnished by a guy who's been in the chair for five minutes.  Even if that was true (and by any measurement, I don't consider it's correct) I'd prefer a leader of ANY persuasion that makes decisions in what he believes are the best interests of the country rather than surrender our rights / revenues to the U.N. or slavishly follow what might be fashionable politics in Asia, Europe, the Americas or anywhere else for that matter.

There is no border you can build around Australia to isolate it from global issues, ignorance may be bliss for many but it isn't a cure for global problems! This isn't bayou country and somebody stealing clams or shagging their sister first isn't the big issue!

Like it or lump it we are all on the same planet!

If you consider yourself conservative then I have a question. Is there ever a case when it is good business acumen to piss of your next potential big customer? Indonesia is our next potential big trading partner, they have a healthy disrespect and dislike of Chinese business practices and prefer to deal with Australian over India, Korea or Vietnam. Yet Abbott is turning them against us at a rapid rate, why?
The Force Awakens!