Skip to main content
Topic: Abbott must go, arise Sir Malcolm! (Read 79684 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Abbott must go, arise Sir Malcolm!

Reply #45

The general perceptions of the ABC that are touted by the Coalition are abhorrent, a swinging voter like myself fails to see the bias you report and many Nationals Party members actively support the ABC. But I do see a very real attempt by the Liberals to sway the editorials by withholding funding, canceling contracts or dismissing staff. More silencing going on there it seems!

But regardless, even if you think they have as much impact as a Jones or a Bolt you are gravely mistaken. They are the national broadcaster, they should be supported by the Federal government of the day, it will not always be the case that News Corp is on the Coalitions bench! In fact we have already seen since the election a flip in published News Ltd rhetoric from the pre-election "Get rid of these ALP hacks" to the post-election "Abbott LNP Climate Change Calamity!" But that is expected, they maximise their profits by creating debate and division.

Correctus absolutus.

Astounds and frustrates me that anyone could label the ABC left of centre. Next to a predominantly conservative or far right media in this country, the ABC may appear 'left'... but I see them as strongly objective and credible in terms of revealing 'deeper truths' (in an articulate way)... the natural enemy of the conservative mantra of 'deny everything and reveal as little as possible.' Although a sweeping generalisation, the old saying that 'conservatives love secrecy and fear, whereas, progressives seek truths and embrace change' holds some merit.

It was and remains embarrassing that when the Murdoch Empire used its influence to manipulate public perception (during the election in particular), and got away with it, that there wasn't a revolution in this country! Should have been. Any wonder his empire is known as News Limited... sure is limited, to entertainment and his personal agenda. It would seem we do have a President without having a republic... President Murdoch.

The fact that two of Abbotts 'mates' are Jones and Pell says so, so much. And none of it good. Jones is to broadcasting what leprosy is to human skin and Pell is to spirituality what Hitler was to humanitarianism. I'll leave comment on Abbotts fundamental Christian ideologies for another time...  :-X

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #46
Suggest you conduct a poll in the western and northern suburbs of Melbourne and ask those 50 and over their political affiliations.  You might be surprised .....

You associate the Murdoch media with the same age group ... fine .... understand that .... but "getup" and the ABC could hardly be construed as even handed either, a situation I find amazing given their charter requires balanced reporting, particularly given they're funded from the public purse.

It terms of the silvered haired there is a world if difference between voters and supporters, have you ever attended a liberal party function or branch meeting? The people pouring money into the cause at grass roots level are mostly 60+, they are closer to Bronwyn Bishop than Carrie Bickmoore, Sophie Mirabella may be considered a spring chicken!

Getup can do whatever they like, they are a political entity, nobody sees them as any different. Are you implying because they oppose many Coalition policies, as well as some ALP and Greens policies, that they must be silenced? If so this concept of silence seems to becoming a trend, are only Tories allowed a voice?

FWIW, I gather you won't comprehend this because you have your capitalist suit of armor on. I am not anti-Coalition but Tony Abbott is clearly a hack, and it is quite ironic to me that a party famous for highlighting the leadership issues of it's opponents has picked a head kicker and not much else as leader! Was it from fear of a republic, it's not Rome 500BC is it?

The general perceptions of the ABC that are touted by the Coalition are abhorrent, a swinging voter like myself fails to see the bias you report and many Nationals Party members actively support the ABC. But I do see a very real attempt by the Liberals to sway the editorials by withholding funding, canceling contracts or dismissing staff. More silencing going on there it seems!

But regardless, even if you think they have as much impact as a Jones or a Bolt you are gravely mistaken. They are the national broadcaster, they should be supported by the Federal government of the day, it will not always be the case that News Corp is on the Coalitions bench! In fact we have already seen since the election a flip in published News Ltd rhetoric from the pre-election "Get rid of these ALP hacks" to the post-election "Abbott LNP Climate Change Calamity!" But that is expected, they maximise their profits by creating debate and division.

You suggest our reputation overseas has already been tarnished by a guy who's been in the chair for five minutes.  Even if that was true (and by any measurement, I don't consider it's correct) I'd prefer a leader of ANY persuasion that makes decisions in what he believes are the best interests of the country rather than surrender our rights / revenues to the U.N. or slavishly follow what might be fashionable politics in Asia, Europe, the Americas or anywhere else for that matter.

There is no border you can build around Australia to isolate it from global issues, ignorance may be bliss for many but it isn't a cure for global problems! This isn't bayou country and somebody stealing clams or shagging their sister first isn't the big issue!

Like it or lump it we are all on the same planet!

If you consider yourself conservative then I have a question. Is there ever a case when it is good business acumen to piss of your next potential big customer? Indonesia is our next potential big trading partner, they have a healthy disrespect and dislike of Chinese business practices and prefer to deal with Australian over India, Korea or Vietnam. Yet Abbott is turning them against us at a rapid rate, why?

Not interested in debating you or anyone else ... and I couldn't be bothered (and won't be) reading your reply to this message  But for the record.

1.  No, I don't attend political functions.
2.  Getup can do what they wish ... so can Murdoch.  You don't like what he prints?  Then don't read it.
3.  You know NOTHING about my political leanings and you know where you can stick your childish insults.
4.  Tories live in England
5.  I couldn't care less about Indonesia.  They are a pack of opportunistic and corrupt arseholes feeding off our generosity.

Reply #47

Correctus absolutus.

Astounds and frustrates me that anyone could label the ABC left of centre. Next to a predominantly conservative or far right media in this country, the ABC may appear 'left'... but I see them as strongly objective and credible in terms of revealing 'deeper truths' (in an articulate way)... the natural enemy of the conservative mantra of 'deny everything and reveal as little as possible.' Although a sweeping generalisation, the old saying that 'conservatives love secrecy and fear, whereas, progressives seek truths and embrace change' holds some merit.

It was and remains embarrassing that when the Murdoch Empire used its influence to manipulate public perception (during the election in particular), and got away with it, that there wasn't a revolution in this country! Should have been. Any wonder his empire is known as News Limited... sure is limited, to entertainment and his personal agenda. It would seem we do have a President without having a republic... President Murdoch.

The fact that two of Abbotts 'mates' are Jones and Pell says so, so much. And none of it good. Jones is to broadcasting what leprosy is to human skin and Pell is to spirituality what Hitler was to humanitarianism. I'll leave comment on Abbotts fundamental Christian ideologies for another time...  :-X

.. and so glad to see you had no issue with Ropcrapz, Conroy and Gillad trying to pass legislation to silence the press.

Perhaps you should leave comments about Rudd''s fundamental Christian ideologies. No?  Thought not.

Reply #48
... and with that, screw OFF !!!!!!!!!

Reply #49
Not interested in debating you or anyone else ... and I couldn't be bothered (and won't be) reading your reply to this message  But for the record.

1.  No, I don't attend political functions.
2.  Getup can do what they wish ... so can Murdoch.  You don't like what he prints?  Then don't read it.
3.  You know NOTHING about my political leanings and you know where you can stick your childish insults.
4.  Tories live in England
5.  I couldn't care less about Indonesia.  They are a pack of opportunistic and corrupt arseholes feeding off our generosity.
More Silence then???

FFS, if you didn't read it where do you get those alleged insults from, and can you explain them??? Seems you have not written what you lived!

Yet you happily call Indonesians, many of them who I consider friends "A pack of opportunistic and corrupt arseholes", are you racist? Do you plan spending long here on this forum or any other forum? I suspect you think Abbott's changes to the racial discrimination laws have set you free!!

I can see how you align with Abbott, no debate without playing a lowbrow card!

PS: Sorry if you think the lowbrow reference is directed to you and not your rhetoric.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #50
Below

Reply #51

In the words of John McEnroe... "You can't be serious..."

Reply #52

;D ;D ;D ;D 

Reply #53
K Rudd has just retired!!! :))

Reply #54
K Rudd has just retired!!! :))

About bloody time. 

I wish most of the others would get their snouts out of the trough and follow his lead.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #55
At the risk of being hammered, The only PM (in my time) who has had a grasp on foreign policy was Paul Keating. Not ashamed to say I was and still am a huge fan of the man.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #56
At the risk of being hammered, The only PM (in my time) who has had a grasp on foreign policy was Paul Keating. Not ashamed to say I was and still am a huge fan of the man.

You just lost a dozen friends in an instant.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #57

I'm on your side on this one DU.  One of the few PMs who had a vision for the country that went beyond the next election.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #58

I'm on your side on this one DU.  One of the few PMs who had a vision for the country that went beyond the next election.

And still does DJ

an absolute visionary , on more issues than just foreign policy. Had to the balls to stand by what he believes on major major issues. That's a leader..
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #59

You just lost a dozen friends in an instant.

I thought that would be the case Mants  :(

― Mark Twain