Skip to main content
Topic: Carlton vs Freo in Freo Practice Match (Read 14585 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Carlton vs Freo in Freo Practice Match

Reply #75
We've no idea what phase of training we are under, high work load, tapering, recovery, etc., etc., it's the main difference between teams at this time of year. Russell can create an apparently poor result just with an appropriately timed heavy weights session.

Some coaches want to see what players can do, others just want players to get injury free miles under the belt.

We've no idea what Teague wants, what he says at a presser at this time of year is unlikely to be related to his closed door message, public commentary as such is just guess work.

Fair point but I dont think Teague wanted an 8 goal loss, hopefully we are more switched on vs Brisbane.

Reply #76
I think it's probably the case that these games aren't really there for the supporter.
They're there for experimentation, fine tuning  structures and perhaps to give the fringe contingent a bit of a hit-out alongside senior players
They're just designed to shake the cobwebs out.
Therefore results are pretty meaningless.

They're affected by a lot of factors
-Intensity of training in the week leading up to the match
-players being given different assignments to normal
-players missing that affect structures and support (Players who would normally attract a second or third string opponent are suddenly faced with a more difficult opponent if key players are missing.)
-players being managed in respect of time on the ground
-experimentation with tactics and set-ups
...and a whole lot of other variables.

Skills seem to have been an issue yesterday....
Senior players have a history of just cruising and getting through unscathed.
Fringe players, keen to impress may be over anxious, and make errors.

We'll field a much better team in terms of personnel and tactics come Round 1
If some of the issues are still evident then we will have real problems to worry about.

Reply #77
^^ 👍

Reply #78
Lots of excuses in the posts above. Something that dawned on me is that fact that we have been talking about our improved depth. Well the depth players didnt really put their best foot forward. Perhaps we dont have the depth we think we have. Anyhow, its a praccy match, lets hope we put up more of a fight next time.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #79
You can go in half hearted, but I find it hard to add in a faking of rubbish kicking.  Very unlikely.

Reply #80
Lots of excuses in the posts above. Something that dawned on me is that fact that we have been talking about our improved depth. Well the depth players didnt really put their best foot forward. Perhaps we dont have the depth we think we have. Anyhow, its a praccy match, lets hope we put up more of a fight next time.

We should at least wait until the end of the 1stq in R1 before we draw any firm conclusions. Anything before that is too early IMO.

Reply #81
Liked this from Doc though, he's back!

https://www.theroar.com.au/afl/video/brawl-erupts-after-blues-co-captain-goes-berserk-on-dockers-youngster-1065485/?utm_source=FootyProphet&utm_medium=facebooklink&utm_campaign=affiliates&fbclid=IwAR0C0YmgEcR8EmBC1uzoy3oWORmRj8VXVRGJ0v3kcBgZmS9X_r5mOH4AQkQ
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #82
Liked this from Doc though, he's back!

https://www.theroar.com.au/afl/video/brawl-erupts-after-blues-co-captain-goes-berserk-on-dockers-youngster-1065485/?utm_source=FootyProphet&utm_medium=facebooklink&utm_campaign=affiliates&fbclid=IwAR0C0YmgEcR8EmBC1uzoy3oWORmRj8VXVRGJ0v3kcBgZmS9X_r5mOH4AQkQ

He's out of camera, but I'm guessing Doc ran 20, 30 ? metres to remonstrate with the kid. No nastiness, just letting him know his tackle wasn't appreciated. Newnes was quick to arrive as well.

Reply #83
And I'm still a fan of the white clash jumper. The best out of an average bunch IMO.

Reply #84
He's out of camera, but I'm guessing Doc ran 20, 30 ? metres to remonstrate with the kid. No nastiness, just letting him know his tackle wasn't appreciated. Newnes was quick to arrive as well.

An undisciplined act that caused a reversal.  Simmo should have received a 50m penalty for being taken out after marking and, had that been awarded, Doc may not have been so demonstrative.  Our leaders should fly the flag but they should also show discipline and not gift the opposition an inside 50.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #85
An undisciplined act that caused a reversal.  Simmo should have received a 50m penalty for being taken out after marking and, had that been awarded, Doc may not have been so demonstrative.  Our leaders should fly the flag but they should also show discipline and not gift the opposition an inside 50.

Teague seems rather old school to this untrained observer, and I'm guessing we'll be seeing plenty of this under his watch. Sometimes, giving away a free seems like a small price to pay.

Reply #86
I hate those 50m penalties, I wish they weren't part of the game at all!

At the weekend we gave away two on the near wing that probably ended up being closer to 75m penalties that resulted in shots at goal, one was on the back half of the wing and ended up 10m inside the 50m arc! Then a little later we got a free kick on the HFF just 20m outside our F50 arc and two Freo players ran right past our player unaccompanied by any Carlton players and nothing was awarded.

It's a rule that umpires rarely get right and it changes the coarse of games!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #87
I hate those 50m penalties, I wish they weren't part of the game at all!

At the weekend we gave away two on the near wing that were probably ended up[ being closer to 75m penalties that resulted in shots at goal, one was on the back half of the wing and ended up 10m inside the 50m arc! Then a little later we got a free kick on the HFF just 20m outside our F50 arc and two Freo players ran right past our player unaccompanied by any Carlton players and nothing was awarded.

It's a rule that umpires rarely get right and it changes the coarse of games!

That is a bad rule LP; a 50m penalty for an inconsequential act is bizarre!  However, I’m in favour of 50m penalties when a player is taken high after (or during) marking.  After Polly Farmer’s CTE diagnosis, I expected the head to be sacrosanct once more (although the soft penalty handed out to Williams suggests otherwise).
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #88
If we're going to drag ourselves out of the cellar we need serious,  step wise improvement from our younger brigade,  we can't expect much more from established senior players like Cripps, Murphy, Kreuzer etc.   It's time for blokes like Dow,  Fisher, Setterfield,  Kennedy, Stocker, SPS etc etc to extract the digit and step up.  They can't hide behind the youth tag any longer.  Some of these blokes are entering their fourth year.   It's time.

So in next weeks practice match,  these blokes need to come both ready to play and have some bloody impact or I fear yet another long,  wasted season.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #89
Never a truer word spoken.  They do NOT work hard enough.  They damn well should for the money they're on, practice match or not.