Skip to main content
Topic: Carlton vs Freo in Freo Practice Match (Read 14385 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Carlton vs Freo in Freo Practice Match

Reply #90
While I agree there are several players currently going around that appear not be working to the required level, I thought the majority of the team DID work pretty hard for the majority of the match. The same old problem for me is the inability to hit up a player some 20 or metres up field. The work to get the ball into a position to deliver was good I thought, but just that final component was, well, it's just so frustrating.
P.S. Not a lot of credit being given to Weitering for his game on Saturday. Thought he was terrific and our best player after Walsh. Can't believe he didn't get in the list of best players??

Reply #91
Without Cripps I'm not sure we could win a game against any team including GC, has any Carlton team relied on one so player much?, even going back to Kouta I cant think of another player who carries such a load on his shoulders.
Unless we spread the work rate and match winning load more we wont get anywhere...I know we had outs but Freo had their key backs out(Hamling/Pearce) as well as Fyfe, Mundy and Walters...those last three are about as significant as it gets for Freo and we still lost by 8 goals and didnt have a player who really stood up and tried to take the game by the scruff of the neck.
With Charlie out for an extended time the pressure of being the match winner week in and week out continues to fall on Cripps...its not healthy and I agree with the Prof that we need some of this young talent to stand up and share the load.

Reply #92
P.S. Not a lot of credit being given to Weitering for his game on Saturday. Thought he was terrific and our best player after Walsh. Can't believe he didn't get in the list of best players??
 Hardly ever gets a mention, rarely plays a bad game, the sort of bloke that will do a Brian Lake and win you the GF!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #93
With Charlie out for an extended time the pressure of being the match winner week in and week out continues to fall on Cripps...its not healthy and I agree with the Prof that we need some of this young talent to stand up and share the load.
I think we need a different formula, the mythical Plan B, but I don't expect to see it exposed during the pre-season!

When you look at who we've drafted and traded, you'd think we must surely have a small forward multiple goal scorer game plan hidden in there somewhere, one that isn't about bombing the ball long into F50 for an occasional KPF to mark. Sure we've got a bunch of 200cm types, but if we are expecting talls to clunk a bag of i50 marks then why have we loaded up on small and medium forwards, and even others that we pursued without success?

When will we see it, Rnd 1?

At the moment our game plan as exposed didn't fit our team selection profile, so I can't treat the weekend result seriously. We selected a bunch of sauciers and asked them to bake a croissant! At one stage we were bombing the ball long to Gibbons one out inside F50 with a KPD, it gave me flashbacks to the bad old Betts days!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #94
Without Cripps I'm not sure we could win a game against any team including GC, has any Carlton team relied on one so player much?, even going back to Kouta I cant think of another player who carries such a load on his shoulders.
Unless we spread the work rate and match winning load more we wont get anywhere...I know we had outs but Freo had their key backs out(Hamling/Pearce) as well as Fyfe, Mundy and Walters...those last three are about as significant as it gets for Freo and we still lost by 8 goals and didnt have a player who really stood up and tried to take the game by the scruff of the neck.

I copped a lot of crap at the end of the trade period for our lack of success at the trade table again when another trade period was wasted by not getting some support for Cripps and not properly addressing such a one dimensional division.

As a result our whole years success now falls again on Cripps playing a 3 vote game and also a big chunk of our kids having breakout years. Good luck with that.

The kids are unlikely to be ready - some may improve some will stay the same some will go backwards. That the nature of kids. The jury is still well and truly out on blokes that some on here think are a lock to make it. Dow, Obrien, Setterfield, Kennedy, De Koning, Marchbank, Williamson, Cunningham and Fisher all have potential but none are locks IMO. Probably add in a few more to that list if you want to be critical.

Add in blokes like Lang, Polson, O'Dwyer who wont make it you may see why I'm not so positive as many think I should be.   

If Cripps or even Kruezer go down this year we are a bottom 2-3 side. 5 years into a rebuild with the amount of picks we have had and opportunities at the trade table and yet the above sentence is a fact hence why I cant see us taking the big leap that many think will happen.

Reply #95
Without Cripps I'm not sure we could win a game against any team including GC.......

Freo in Freo last year wasn’t a bad effort without Cripps, Harry and Charlie after 12 minutes.  Players lift under adversity and we are maturing as a group.  It would be a disaster to lose Cripps but not terminal.

Reply #96
I copped a lot of crap at the end of the trade period for our lack of success at the trade table again when another trade period was wasted by not getting some support for Cripps and not properly addressing such a one dimensional division.

As a result our whole years success now falls again on Cripps playing a 3 vote game and also a big chunk of our kids having breakout years. Good luck with that.

re Help for Cripps.
We DID draft a Cripps clone in Brodie Kemp with our first pick. Yes, he's done a knee, but he'll come good next year.
We also finally get to see what a fit Setterfield can be. He'd just come off a knee injury when we got him. By all reports he is flying on the track. He was a former pick 5, so he can play. Hopefully we will see it.

This time next year we could have a core midfield of Cripps, Walsh, Setterfield with Kemp first change. With the help of older brigade Murphy and Curnow.

He's got help....it just needs to develop a bit more.

Of course we did go pretty hard at Coniglio....and even Papley. We tried.

Reply #97
Freo in Freo last year wasn’t a bad effort without Cripps, Harry and Charlie after 12 minutes.  Players lift under adversity and we are maturing as a group.  It would be a disaster to lose Cripps but not terminal.

People used to say the same about Judd. Losing Judd allowed Cripps to enter centre stage....and he never looked back.

Reply #98

The kids are unlikely to be ready - some may improve some will stay the same some will go backwards. That the nature of kids. The jury is still well and truly out on blokes that some on here think are a lock to make it. Dow, Obrien, Setterfield, Kennedy, De Koning, Marchbank, Williamson, Cunningham and Fisher all have potential but none are locks IMO. Probably add in a few more to that list if you want to be critical.

Add in blokes like Lang, Polson, O'Dwyer who wont make it you may see why I'm not so positive as many think I should be.   

If Cripps or even Kruezer go down this year we are a bottom 2-3 side. 5 years into a rebuild with the amount of picks we have had and opportunities at the trade table and yet the above sentence is a fact hence why I cant see us taking the big leap that many think will happen.

The main focus of your post is for the here and now (i.e season 2020), and in this respect I generally agree. "Help for cripps" have been a catch cry for a while. The club is no doubt aware of it, but for right now, I think Muprhy and Curnow will have to suffice. Walsh will also help, but he's young and not specially big bodied.

In terms of the team overall, don't underestimate the return of Docherty. He's a jet, and has a great footy brain. It's unrealistic to expect him to start like he finished up in 2017, but if he can stay on the park and regain some touch, it will be a treat watching him as the season progresses.

Reply #99

No mention of Martin or Newnes?

Both will be regular starting 22.

Fish in season 4 now, Cuners 5. They're ready.

Ditto Setters and Kennedy.

The others have time.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #100
No mention of Martin or Newnes?

Both will be regular starting 22.

Fish in season 4 now, Cuners 5. They're ready.

Ditto Setters and Kennedy.

The others have time.

None of those blokes except maybe Kennedy play the role Cripps plays, and I think that was the main point of shawny's post.

Reply #101
None of those blokes except maybe Kennedy play the role Cripps plays, and I think that was the main point of shawny's post.

Very few other blokes can play the role Cripps plays, and none of them play for Carlton.

However, we have improved and increased our midfield rotations to the point where Cripps has reasonable support if they are all fit ... and given midfield roles.  I'd still like to see one established midfielder added to the mix, particularly with Murphy in the twilight of his career.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #102
Setters will.

Reply #103
Setters will.

Setterfield Will ? Not unless he overcomes his dyslexia first.

At any rate, he seems more like an outside receiver / wingman to me, and the fact that he bears more than a passing resemblance to Ryan Houlihan (playing style and looks) can only be divine providence in my view.

The one who I think could be a real smoky as a top shelf on ball cameo player is McGovern. Despite my jibes that he loves Dave and donuts in equal measure, and despite my unfounded suspicions that he was instrumental in white anting Bolton, he is definitely a good footballer, a smart footballer, and with his size, skill and smarts he could be great in 5 or 10 minute bursts to give Cripps a rest.

As an aside, my secret wish is that Cripps edges closer and closer to Lethal as his career progresses, i.e an on baller who also kicks bags of goals. I don't think his kicking is as good as Lethal's, but he's big and strong, and a very good overhead mark. Go Crippa !!

Reply #104
Setterfield Will ? Not unless he overcomes his dyslexia first.

At any rate, he seems more like an outside receiver / wingman to me, and the fact that he bears more than a passing resemblance to Ryan Houlihan (playing style and looks) can only be divine providence in my view.

The one who I think could be a real smoky as a top shelf on ball cameo player is McGovern. Despite my jibes that he loves Dave and donuts in equal measure, and despite my unfounded suspicions that he was instrumental in white anting Bolton, he is definitely a good footballer, a smart footballer, and with his size, skill and smarts he could be great in 5 or 10 minute bursts to give Cripps a rest.

As an aside, my secret wish is that Cripps edges closer and closer to Lethal as his career progresses, i.e an on baller who also kicks bags of goals. I don't think his kicking is as good as Lethal's, but he's big and strong, and a very good overhead mark. Go Crippa !!
What about SOS helping Crippa in the guts (in bursts)?
- Good size
- Doesn't take a backward step
- Has worked on his tank.
- Isn't afraid to put his nose over it.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time