Skip to main content
Topic: Is Psychological help the answer ? (Read 39667 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Is Psychological help the answer ?

Reply #30
In the end, people only remember the 'potential walker free' that could've won us the match.

If you look through the goal by goal, you'll see a different story to us being a contender.

We kicked the first 4 goals of the match, to their 0.1
We kicked the last 3 goals of the match after they had got their game high lead of 21 points, 22 minutes into the last quarter and took the foot of the pedal.

In the middle of the game, they kicked 15 goals to our 6 and clearly had the game on their terms.

Yes, we nearly stole it late, but they were still a class above us.

Are you saying we went missing for half a game? I think P2C's 2011 fantasy has been mythbusted.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #31
In the end, people only remember the 'potential walker free' that could've won us the match.

If you look through the goal by goal, you'll see a different story to us being a contender.

We kicked the first 4 goals of the match, to their 0.1
We kicked the last 3 goals of the match after they had got their game high lead of 21 points, 22 minutes into the last quarter and took the foot of the pedal.

In the middle of the game, they kicked 15 goals to our 6 and clearly had the game on their terms.

Yes, we nearly stole it late, but they were still a class above us.

Kruddler likes to misrepresent the stats, we actually won 3 of the 4 quarters......not to mention their run of goals was aided by some of the most shocking onse sided decisions we've seen in the game.

WCE played 8 top 8 teams in 2011, we played 11. We went to their home ground and should have won the final. The umpires destroyed us. You know two can play at this game....let's have a look at what MBB thought about the umpiring and whether we should have won.

Quote from: MBB
I still can't get over some of those free kicks and how costly they were.

Quote from: MBB
Perhaps Razor Ray supports the Eagles as he also paid a dodgy kick their way late against a rampaging Bulldogs a few weeks ago when the battle for the top 4 was still on.

Seems you thought we were robbed to bro.

And let's see how our mate Baggers felt after this game shall we?

Quote from: Baggerz
Considering what we were up against - 6 day turnaround; interstate; rub of the green; missing key talls; Juddy obviously under an injury cloud... bloody brilliant effort.

The culture; the courage; the character of this club is beyond any question. 10/10.

The fact that we only lost by 3 pts is testament to the character of this group, this club and the strong steps of our coaching group.

And getting this close after losing Thornton and Jamison on one leg... and not having Kruezer, Waite and Gibbs! Please... that's like the Weagles having gone in without Kennedy, Cox and Kerr! And then losing Darling before half time.

Wow seems Baggers DID think we worthy in 2011.......amazing how he could change his opinion so quickly based on an injury riddled season.

LLT said.....

Quote from: longlongtime
We could have just laid down and let West Coast beat us. I was ready to accept defeat with 5 minutes to go but just how the players refused to die and came so close, with the chance to snatch it in the end.

thrunthru.....

Quote from: thrunthrublu
i m really proud of the CFC tonight, yeah sure we can talk about individuals, the bounce of the ball, but i cannot for one second question the endeavour of the players

So, no matter what spin you put on it kruddler I think it's pretty obvious where we were at, and MBB, you thought we were robbed. :))
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #32
I did think we were robbed but we still went missing for a large period of the game which some would have you believe has only been a problem under Malthouse , I believe we could have won a flag in 2010 or 2011 had we kept Fevola but we didn't and at the time I said it might cost us a flag.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #33
Did not beat a side in the Top 4 in Ratten's Glory Year of 2011.

Some people can't seem to grasp that to win the flag you have to be able to beat the best sides.

Our average loss to top 4 sides was by less than 3 goals in 2011.

We beat top 4 sides in 2009 and 2010. Effectively the same players.

We beat a top 4 team twice in 2012,  hawks belted us but went okay against the other sides.

This idea that we were hopeless against top 4 sides and never had any hope is just not true. It makes the argument the list is beyond help easier though.

Reply #34
But you still thought we should have beaten WCE, you thought the team was good enough, you saw it exactly how I saw it, how everyone saw it.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #35
But you still thought we should have beaten WCE, you thought the team was good enough, you saw it exactly how I saw it, how everyone saw it.

It was a brave performance against the 4th best side in the comp and I posted that I was happy for Ratten to get a new contract. The problem for Ratten was that was our peak year. Like I said if we had a decent forward we could have won the flag but we only had O'Hailpin who had to ruck as well. Cats had Hawkins and Jpod, Pies had Cloke and Dawes, Hawks had Buddyy and Roughead, Eagles Kennedy and Darling.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #36
Brave is underselling it. You know we should have won.....in their backyard.....with players missing and one man down......umpires against us all night. We were the fourth best side, not them.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #37
Have we repeated that performance?

I know we have had some stirring wins but I don't think we have actually had a performance like that semi since.

Reply #38

I know we have had some stirring wins but I don't think we have actually had a performance like that semi since.

Round 3 2012 beat the Pies by 10 goals. Then the injuries came.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #39

Round 3 2012 beat the Pies by 10 goals. Then the injuries came.

Good point, team played with some swag that night.

Shame we couldnt bottle up that mentality and bring it back.

What were we doing at that point to get the players up and about?

We did beat them again later in the year but by that stage the swagger was lost and it was a consolation win really - no longer contenders.

Reply #40
IMO the players were playing for their coach and they played a gameplan they were more suited to hence they played with more confidence.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #41
IMO the players were playing for their coach and they played a gameplan they were more suited to hence they played with more confidence.

My main knock on Ratten was that I felt the game plan didn't work when we were missing key players. With that said, not many teams do win when they don't play an experienced KPF and KPD.

But when we looked good we looked very very good.

Now the game plan we have doesn't work even with most of the players... so I am keen to see what happens tomorrow with the players "unshackled"

Reply #42

Now the game plan we have doesn't work even with most of the players... so I am keen to see what happens tomorrow with the players "unshackled"

If they play well then it raises more headaches than it solves IMO. Do we just say the last 18 months were a waste or do we say that it only works against middle of the road sides.

Reply #43
Is it the list because it's not suited to Malthouse? Malthouse likes honest bit part players. We have a heap of top ten draft picks... You don't pick guys in the top ten because they are nuggets back pocket players..

You pick offensive guys who have had a free reign through their junior careers and have some good skills.

Ratts used these guys to good affect until the heat was on and teams got physical.

So if Malthouse is the best man for the job, is he going to rebuild based on his old style of gameplan. Obviously the current crop aren't suited to it so does that mena he starts again? Or does he find a balance use what he has got and fill the holes as he sees fit?
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #44
If we play well and have a good win when we are "unshackled" it will bring things to a head in a way. That would confirm to MM that the players cannot or will not execute his game plan and much prefer their old ways. He in turn will then need to decide whether he stays or goes based on that. I guess the big question would be, can we win a flag under his coaching using a game plan that he doesn't necessarily believe in? If he thinks not, why would he want to stay, apart from the obvious answer.

In turn, what does CFC do? Go with the game plan that the players can execute, and trust that we can eventually win a premiership with it, or rebuild with players that could better execute MM's game plan and keep him on to oversee it?

Big questions, big decisions. Many more challenging times ahead folks - is the club board, management and admin up to it??

PS. Apologies Shadesy, a bit of an overlap with your post.
Reality always wins in the end.