41 - Casboult
[ 12 ] (14.3%)
42 - Tuohy
[ 22 ] (26.2%)
43 - White
[ 2 ] (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Voting closed: May 02, 2014, 07:15:21 pm

Topic: R6 - WORST on ground vs Eagles (Read 20213 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: R6 - WORST on ground vs Eagles

Reply #45
After 4-5 years at the club and with the kicking issues he has if the club has yet to implement a routine or have a kicking expert work with him then that is an utter disgrace.

As much as I have bagged Casboult about his blunders, his marking around the ground and contests in the ruck were 200% better this week. Still has a few one -on-one problems but is getting better.

Just keep him away from goal and tell him to aim for the big semicircle, he can kick like a mule when he wants to!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #46
Gotta say I'm finding it hard to see any reason for the Casboult love.....I'm far from convinced he adds anything to this team.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #47
Gotta say I'm finding it hard to see any reason for the Casboult love.....I'm far from convinced he adds anything to this team.

Size, but only when he uses it!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #48
Levi needs to setup a routine.  JK had similar issues and then he brought in the "flintston" shuffle.

Now he is a pretty good set shot for goal.

It can make a massive difference to a players confidence and ability to do something if they have a routine.  I heard on the radio that Blake Caracella was the bloke that Geelong went with to work with Tom Hawkins on his kicking.

It might be an idea that we employ a similar tactic, and I would actually go for someone like Dermot Brereton, who could teach him more than just kicking...

After 4-5 years at the club and with the kicking issues he has if the club has yet to implement a routine or have a kicking expert work with him then that is an utter disgrace.

Agree.

Its clear as day the best key forwards seem to have a set thing they go through prior to kicking.  Lloyd used to pick up a piece of grass and throw it in the air, Sticks used to pull up and straighten his socks. Kennedy the Flintstone, Jonno Brown the gallop, Fev had the weird hand ball drop thing happening (which he implemented after being a pretty ordinary set shot for goal unless it was from distance).

Cloke has a routine he employs most times, but he is a confidence player and as soon as he stuffs up an elementary action (like dropping a sitter) then his game is over until he bags a goal.

I reckon get Levi into a routine that he is comfortable with, and the rest will fall into place for him.  What irritates me, is that the further out he is, the better he seems to kick it (still not accurate though) but some of his better shots for goal when he is reaching his range limit.

The old adage rings true, strike through the footy and go for distance, and usually you hit it better.  Even Fev had a higher percentage miss rate when he was closer to goal, but take him outside 50 and he was in his element.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #49
While Levi drops the ball with two hands he will never be a decent kick........

Reply #50
Levi is a real paradox.

I've also been critical of him, especially between the lugholes when shooting for goal. But I've seen him slot them from 55 no probs. About time someone taught him to use the karate principle when shooting for goal - ignore the goals and pick a person/target 55 metres from his boot behind the goals and just aim to kick it to that person / target. He should also practice that at training and make it a habit.

Until he gets his shooting for goal confidence he'll remain a 'just about' kind of player. As mentioned previously he has definitely improved his marking around the ground (which was already pretty darn good) and for a big bloke he is deceptively quick.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #51
If the Oxford Dictionary had a definition of "Coach Killer", they would show a picture of Levi Casboult!

He is the guy that the opposition teams will happily let have the ball inside F50. He won't just fail to hurt them on the scoreboard, but he will also rip out his own teams heart in the process! It is called a momentum killer, and it just sucks the life out of a team!

There are only two solutions, get him on the wing, or get him in the goal square!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #52

Can take a mark around the ground, makes him a handy 2nd ruck in that respect at least, and takes alot of pressure off Waite and Henderson up forward. Think he just lacks a bit of confidence. A bit more of that, a slight improvement in ruck work, plus kicking better close to goal, could see him form a decent career at least. He started in the seniors with an ability to smash packs and put fear into the opposition, and still remember how he chased down Courtney Dempsey twice in one game. Want him to get back the confidence to do all that again.

Reply #53
The eagles normally get a lot from their rucks, using them as marking/link players around the ground to augment their midfield (which I reckon is suspect, but that's another issue).  Warnock played a very good all-round ruckman's game, but around the ground Casboult at worse halved marking contests and prevented Cox and Nic Nat having their usual massive impact when they probably expected to exert dominance over the second (Casboult) ruck.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #54
I thought Rowe did really well, his presence wasn't lost on Nic Nat around many forward contests.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #55

Can take a mark around the ground, makes him a handy 2nd ruck in that respect at least, and takes alot of pressure off Waite and Henderson up forward. Think he just lacks a bit of confidence. A bit more of that, a slight improvement in ruck work, plus kicking better close to goal, could see him form a decent career at least. He started in the seniors with an ability to smash packs and put fear into the opposition, and still remember how he chased down Courtney Dempsey twice in one game. Want him to get back the confidence to do all that again.

There has been a lot of love for Warnock.  Some of his ruckwork was very good but he was worked over by Cox and Natanui.  However, the worst part of Warnock's game was his failure to take a mark and that simply isn't good enough.

On the other hand, Casboult's marking was pretty damn good and he more than made up for Warnock's inability to get into a position where he could attempt to mark.  Casboult also makes life a lot easier for Waite and Henderson.  Of course, his kicking for goal is almost on a par with Warnock's and it must be demoralising for the team when he misses set shots from within 40 metres.

I think Casboult has to continue as back-up ruckman and third tall forward.  Tuohy, Murphy, Simpson and Gibbs have to be prepared to run past for a handball if Casboult marks inside 50.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #56
I might be missing something here, but, was there a marking contest he should have won?

Forgive me if this is incorrect, but I seem to recall that if your sole intent is to go out there and do something on the park, then you can probably achieve that goal to the detriment of your team.  If Warnock were to go out, and aim to get 4 marks every week why would that make a difference to how well he played?

IMHO, whether you play well has little to do with whether or not you take a mark, or 5, kick a goal or 5, or whether or not you spoil 5 marks in the backline, win a few clearances, tackled 5 times etc, its how well you play your role for the team.  That being said, achieve some of that stuff and you will help us go a long way to winning the match, but at the end of the day, Warnock played his role really well.  So well that he was arguably the best ruckman on the ground on saturday night.

Whether he took a few marks in the process is frankly details.  He kicked our first goal of the game, which is a step up in itself for him.

Now if next week he took 5 marks, wins a few more tap downs, but fails to help us win the game, what is the use in that?
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #57
Taking marks is part of a ruckman's job description Thry.  They all do it, apart from ours and NicNat apparently.

It means you can kick to a contest and be confident that you'll retain possession or, at worst, force a stoppage.  It also means that the opposition rucks don't have easy possessions, as Cox did.  Most importantly, marking ruckmen provide an outlet and link plays.  Sam Jacobs is a master at this.

McEvoy and Hale are probably the best pair of marking ruckmen going around and I suspect that their work is not insignificant in Hawthorn's success.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #58
I might be missing something here, but, was there a marking contest he should have won?

He was beaten in a one on one contest by Jamie Bennell, Warnock had 2627cm on him!

Corrected, 27cm on him!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #59

He was beaten in a one on one contest by Jamie Bennell, Warnock had 26cm one him!

That was funny to watch. Not at the time, but laughed about it later. Just like us crossing the ball from the wing to the centre corridor to 2E and Murphy when Nic Nat was directly behind them.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.