Skip to main content
Topic: Casboult's Hands The Best In The Business (Read 18803 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Casboult's Hands The Best In The Busniness

Reply #15
In fairness he did try and make amends by thanking Carlton for having given him his opportunity at AFL, during his retirement speech/statement. For my own selfish reasoning I regarded his attempt at redemption hollow, I'm sure I was/still suffering from a sense of rejection.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #16
Casboult does have good hands, it's probably a bit early to call it anything greater than that atm.

His kicking has definitely improved a lot too, which is great. I love watching him play !!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #17
AH wasnt exactly the best kick, his kicking action was just as unsightly as Cas's. The difference was his ability to get to contests and batter the opposition. I don't mind if Cas's kicking isn't 100 percent provided he improves his fitness and competes at high intensity for  large portions of games
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #18
I did some analysis just after Casboult played his 10th game, comparing his output over those first 10 games with the first 10 games played by some of the game's greatest ever power forwards. Casboult came a close second on that table to only Wayne Carey himself.

I posted it all on here at the time and suggested that the data, just by itself, suggested that we needed to invest in Casboult and see how he developed. I was brutally shot down on here at the time I posted it, so I'm glad to see the club went with an approach similar to what I was advocating and it's now starting to pay dividends ;).

Get the boy signed up and let's review again at 50 games!
Just glad I'm old enough to have enjoyed the 1995 Grand Final

Reply #19
he would be better mark if we had quality midds who can deliver the pill.

Reply #20
I did some analysis just after Casboult played his 10th game, comparing his output over those first 10 games with the first 10 games played by some of the game's greatest ever power forwards. Casboult came a close second on that table to only Wayne Carey himself.

FFS, Carey really! :o

By the time Carey had been around Norp for 4 ~ 5 years he averaged nearly 3 goals a game and 7+ contested marks, that is 7 Contested Marks! In Carey's 4th season he ranked number #1 at Norp, not #2, #5 or #14, that's #1! Carey also ranked #6 in the VFL averages the same year, #6 in the competition wide averages!

After the same number of years Casboult averages less than 1 goal and 5.3 marks in total, he is currently ranked #242 on averages(Last year #478 on averages)!

La Vie En Rose Nathbear!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #21
In fairness he did try and make amends by thanking Carlton for having given him his opportunity at AFL, during his retirement speech/statement. For my own selfish reasoning I regarded his attempt at redemption hollow, I'm sure I was/still suffering from a sense of rejection.

Did he go to the 150th celebrations?

Reply #22

This was the first time I could remember a player leaving us by choice and it hurt badly. I hated Hamill for this as he was one of my favs and the next Carlton captain (they gave him #4 for a reason). Even though he tasted little success at the Aints, he sure as hell set himself up for the future.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #23

Did he go to the 150th celebrations?

I'm not sure Jeffy, I didn't go. But if not mistaken I recall one or two others in here having written that they had gone, they may be able to answer that Q

― Mark Twain

Reply #24

FFS, Carey really! :o

By the time Carey had been around Norp for 4 ~ 5 years he averaged nearly 3 goals a game and 7+ contested marks, that is 7 Contested Marks! In Carey's 4th season he ranked number #1 at Norp, not #2, #5 or #14, that's #1! Carey also ranked #6 in the VFL averages the same year, #6 in the competition wide averages!

After the same number of years Casboult averages less than 1 goal and 5.3 marks in total, he is currently ranked #242 on averages(Last year #478 on averages)!

La Vie En Rose Nathbear!

The comparison was after 10 games played, champ, you may have missed that in your irrational desire to lash out at every post I make for no apparent reason.
Just glad I'm old enough to have enjoyed the 1995 Grand Final

Reply #25
The comparison was after 10 games played, champ, you may have missed that in your irrational desire to lash out at every post I make for no apparent reason.

Carey got his ten games up as a 19 year old in his 2nd season, how many years and at what age did it take Casboult to get his ten champ? ;)

Carey, FFS, stop posting crap comparisons and I won't have an issue, champ!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #26

This was the first time I could remember a player leaving us by choice and it hurt badly. I hated Hamill for this as he was one of my favs and the next Carlton captain (they gave him #4 for a reason). Even though he tasted little success at the Aints, he sure as hell set himself up for the future.

Yeah it was the first time in my memory for a player to reject us as well, back then no one left carlton. It hit hard, made worse by what followed shortly thereafter. Was Allison managing him at the time?

― Mark Twain

Reply #27
I too enjoyed the show that Casboult put on on the weekend. What i want to see is forward set plays  that gets him isolated one out in front of goal. The opposition sides have been quick to show respect often double and even triple teaming in marking contests.

Just my humble opinion...

Reply #28
What i want to see is forward set plays  that gets him isolated one out in front of goal.

Why can't we be different and have a stay at home full forward who isn't part of the flood.  It ultimately means that we might have one less around the ball, but let's back our on ballers to get it out often enough to make the opposition dance to our music.  We have reputedly the best set of hands in the league, let's use them.

Reply #29
Surely the 'set play' is a high ball to the hot spot with another tall forward to draw and block defenders.

Casboult is quite good at losing his direct opponent by a leading to the kicker then doubling back.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball