Skip to main content
Topic: Carlton vs Sydney: Post match Pain (Read 39946 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Carlton vs Sydney: Post match Pain

Reply #75
@MBB

So our older players are up to it?

Not sure how Blaine not being up to it has anything to do with giving Graham a go.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #76
You need to keep in mind what we were up against.

This mob thrashed Geelong by over 100!

They are a premiership side from 2 years ago that could afford to add Tippett and Franklin. They have the biggest home ground advantage in the comp as their Micky Mouse ground is tailored to their style. With Port falling away and the Hawks injuries piling up I think Freo are their only real threat.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #77
Carrots, what you and I think of Graham is irrelevant, but what you are correct in is that he has no opportunity as the sub to impact the game.  He is not an impact player.  Blokes like Bell are better subs as Graham is more an accumulator.  Even a half fit Buckley would be a handy sub with his pace.  Maybe Garlett to add some zip.

But we keep picking sloooooooooooooooow guys and hope they'll become the next Ian Stewart.

The kid should be given game time to see if he is good enough.  Mick has no idea how to use the sub rule to any kind of advantage.  Watch who the other sides play as subs - pacy runners seem to be the norm, not one paced plodders.

DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #78
Spot on you need a player with a burst of speed, like you said, Graham is more a 'death by a million cuts' type of player. Give him a full game FFS. How many times does it need to be said?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #79
His VFL games have involved high % on ground times.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #80
Spot on you need a player with a burst of speed, like you said, Graham is more a 'death by a million cuts' type of player. Give him a full game FFS. How many times does it need to be said?

Clubs are still trying to adapt on how to use the sub.

Hawthorn last year tried using Savage as their sub a few times for his pace but the problem was he would come on and get 2 touches. In the grand final last year they chose  Simpkin over Savage not because Simpkin performed better overall but because SImpkin performed better as a sub because he would come on and get 10 touches.

Personally I think we should be trying to use older players as the sub. I mentioned this a couple of years ago that we should use Scotland as a sub because we know he would come on and just get the footy.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #81
When you send out a Middle Weight to fight against the Heavy Weight Champ on his home turf, you cant sook when he cops an almighty beating, as he's obviously fighting way out of his division...
The way people are carrying on about last night you'd ve thought we were 13th, and playing interstate against the side who is a game clear on top and in white hot form........ Oh wait.

Reply #82
Personally I think we should be trying to use older players as the sub. I mentioned this a couple of years ago that we should use Scotland as a sub because we know he would come on and just get the footy.

Not sure older players work as subs, spend too long on the bench and they get soft tissue injuries. Get another player injured early and they have to front a full game possibly after weeks of playing pieces here and there.

I don't think the problem isn't the sub use by the way, I think the clubs haven't woken up to how to correctly structure selection when subs are to be used.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #83
When you send out a Middle Weight to fight against the Heavy Weight Champ on his home turf, you cant sook when he cops an almighty beating, as he's obviously fighting way out of his division...
The way people are carrying on about last night you'd ve thought we were 13th, and playing interstate against the side who is a game clear on top and in white hot form........ Oh wait.

You are wrong, it is not losing people are unhappy about, but it is the way the loss occurred that gets under our skin! It's like the only person who didn't see this coming was our coach!

- The Swans Super List list is topped up by players our bloke de-listed, not traded but de-listed!

- The spud C7 commentators announce half way through the 1st quarter that the boundary line hugging game plan will not survive on the SCG!

- The coach pots players after the game touting many list changes to come!

- He insults and derides a reporter(Who is a true blues supporter) at his presser, someone who just wants an answer, and indication of a direction! She asked what fans were thinking and was belittled for doing so!

- The coach cannot understand why his fully documented, repeated and long standing game plan gets picked apart in those close 50/50 contests.

- The players looked dejected, standing on the ground before the ball is even bounced to start the 2nd half they look like losers!

- There is not aggro, no fight, we are not going to make the finals so shouldn't it be time to make a stand! Push back!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #84

Not sure older players work as subs, spend too long on the bench and they get soft tissue injuries. Get another player injured early and they have to front a full game possible after weeks of playing pieces here and there.

I don't think the problem is the sub use by the way, I think the clubs haven't woken up to how to correctly structure selection when subs are to be used.

I did mention this a couple of years ago and yes the Judd incident kind of put a hole in my argument.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #85
I did mention this a couple of years ago and yes the Judd incident kind of put a hole in my argument.

Actually I don't think the Judd incident is a good example, he probably would have been injured regardless. The problem there is the lack of umpires paying clear push in the back penalties. They start paying some in the back down field and that crap stops dead! The McVeigh push last night was another good example!

I base my comments about older subs and benched players on how I see older players being used at VFL or lower levels. Few are successful off the bench. Once they are warm let them go out and influence the game to their maximum ability for 2 or 3 quarters knowing they won't make it through a full match, then use the sub!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #86
You have to have a clear strategy or purpose re. The Sub. Is the sub there to have an impact later in the game to try and get you over the line? Or is he there to bottle up a game and save wear and tear on one of your stars once a game is in the bag? Obviously the reasons can vary week to week, and injury can change everything. I don't think a good use is to put a young bloke on the pine for 3 qtrs and then hope he can come on and get meaningful experience.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #87
But to do it 3-4 times without giving that player a fair crack at it, is he trying to break the kid or what? Is he taking the piss? Is this some kind of perverse punishment for something he may have done at training? Maybe Graham's old man picked on Mick at school?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #88
Seriously, the Dawks have used it better than any with Bailey, they stretched teams early to take the run out of the defenders legs then tore them a new one with small / medium mobile forwards in the second half of games. That is tactical sub use!

However, it won't work for us because Warnock is a spud around the ground, the only thing he stretched was something a long long time ago!

The injury stuff you cannot control so don't worry about it, just make do to your best when an injury occurs!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #89
Just my thoughts on some of our players :

Murph - has the face and body of a 12 year old pre pubescent boy, but led by example and was BOG for mine

Gibbs - thankfully kept his usual pack skirting to a minimum, impacted a few contests, a couple of dodgy disposals, and whilst not great, was still pretty good

Judd - quiet, not much impact, went ok.

Simmo - is he injured ? Seems slower than usual. Some good, some not so good.

Jamo -  battled hard against a very well drilled forward line, carrying one of the elite forwards of the comp.

Rowe -if we work on the assumption that player improvements are down to the senior coach, then Mick deserves marks for Rowe. Gives 100% every week, his positioning and marking ability are more than adequate. At this point, I'm happy to have have him in the back half. Buddy has towelled up defenders much better than Rowe. A real improver. As for his disposal……………

Levi - same as Rowe, could almost be classified as a coaching success story. Big and strong, positions himself well, reasonable leap, and soft sticky hands most forwards would kill for. But his kicking…….. I will personally pay Barker's wage, and forgive him all his obvious shortcomings and past failures, if he can get Levi to kick straight. A straight kicking Levi would be something special. At this point in time, his awful kicking means that you can only play him out of the goal square if you want to get maximum return for our F50 entries. Anything outside the goal square will rarely result in a goal.

2E- has gotten better as the season has progressed, but still way off his best. Looks a little lost TBH.

Walks - this one really breaks my heart. His season has been shizen, and last night was no exception. I hope he can get back to his best. Love the guy.

Yazz- we got the bad Yazz last night. Don't think I saw him once run and carry the ball more than 15m. Seemed very happy to pass it off asap. Obviously thought the trip on the plane was for a holiday. His playful jousting with Buddy is a bad look and has to stop asap. He doesn't seem to take the game all that seriously, but if so, he should save it for after the game. Needs to be given pre game injections of bacteria to induce real white line fever.

Everiit - still not seeing the love for this guy. I can't work out why he's there, what his attributes are, or why he improves the team. This may be a criticism of me as much as him. Either way, not convinced.

Docherty - also not sure about this bloke, but seems better than Everitt.

Brock - always loved Brock, but as per 2E, not having  great season and seems a little lost. Took a good mark and goal.
Johnson - no comment to make

Ellard - always hoped he'd do well, but struggles too much at this level.

Curnow - if we could get his disposal to improve, he could find a place in our starting 22. At this point, jury's out for mine.