Skip to main content
Topic: Blues V North - Pre game thread (Read 23022 times) previous topic - next topic

Blues V North - Pre game thread

Friday 7:50 PMAEST
Etihad Stadium
Round 18

Lots to talk about at the moment - plenty of distractions.

Thoughts, predictions, match ups.....................

Re: Blues V North - Pre game thread

Reply #1
Be nice to do a Richmond and have an upset. North faltering against lesser teams as well.

Plenty will come in here and push the "tanking" bandwagon.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #2
North by 8 goals....

Reply #3
Bogey side. Potential smacking on the cards

Reply #4
Not looking forward to this one at all.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #5
The only thing I want to see from the last handful of games is our developing players given a proper run. I liked that Mick has given Johnson a couple of full games, but why won't he do the same for Graham? He keeps bringing him in, starting him as the sub and then dropping him the following week. Give the kid a chance!

Reply #6
I'll play.

In an ideal world I hope we play a heap of kids who contribute well, and fight it right out to the finish    line, but it won't happen like that.  We won't win, and you guys know we won't, which is a shame because if we were serious we could roll this mob.

Although I decided to cut back on my AFL content this year I have had the misfortune through chance to see a bit of a club  I despise in the kangas.  Those of us who sat through the 24 goal loss back in the days will understand.

Expect rotten treatment from officialdom this week, its a given for every Friday night game we have against this mob.  It's normally worth about 4 goals.

There are two North Melbournes... a lazy, slow, skill deficient, one way running side that uses the ball worse than we do, and another version that rips you to pieces through the middle. 

If the first side fronts up we will be more than competitive.  If the second fronts up we will lose by 20 goals.

Frankly I don't see a lot of difference between North and us... we both have patchy work rates and can be scintillating or awful within short periods.  They also have a lot of slow players but unlike us they seem to get away with them.

There are a number of players that constantly give us trouble and I don't understand why.

1.  Petrie is one.  In the past I have watched tall backs, including Henderson, take this bloke to the cleaners.  One was Henderson and he flogged him with his mobility... yet I have seen Petrie kick bags on Henderson...   I reckon Rowe can match this bloke in the air but when it hits the ground will be a concern.
2.  Boomer Harvey is still a critical component to that mob winning games. Wake up Mick.   He is fast, rat cunning, sly and suckers cheap frees. I think he leads the AFL in score assists?   He needs to be watched like a hawk by somebody who is prepared to sit on him and run with him all day.  He also gets frustrated with close attention and can get a bit err, distracted.  I would be tempted to sit maybe Robinson on him in a defensive role, yet tell him to run forward an attempt to hurt the other way at any opportunity.  It is critical to shut this bloke down.
3.  Lindsay Thomas.  I have no idea who we have to sit on this bloke but they need to play him close and smart and be aware of what this guy does.  If he gets of the chain it will get ugly.

I'll be watching you Mick and await with interest what strategies you will put in place against this mob.  I know we are light on for personnel but how's about something innovative for once?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #7
I reckon North are very similar to us in 2011. On the rise but inconsistent.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #8
Have the Blues beaten a top side in recent years?
We hammered the Saints - but who has not?
North have beaten teams above them?

Reply #9
Have the Blues beaten a top side in recent years?

We beat Richmond and Port last year. I dont believe we've beaten a side outside the bottom 8 apart from those two.

Edit: Adelaide is sitting just outside the bottom 8, we beat them

Reply #10
North will smash us, they  have too much on line to do otherwise .
There'll be no apathy on their part and we need to finish bottom 4 anyhow.
Otherwise all the suffering of  season 2014 is for naught.
Ciao

Reply #11
I'll play.

In an ideal world I hope we play a heap of kids who contribute well, and fight it right out to the finish    line, but it won't happen like that.  We won't win, and you guys know we won't, which is a shame because if we were serious we could roll this mob.

Although I decided to cut back on my AFL content this year I have had the misfortune through chance to see a bit of a club  I despise in the kangas.  Those of us who sat through the 24 goal loss back in the days will understand.

Expect rotten treatment from officialdom this week, its a given for every Friday night game we have against this mob.  It's normally worth about 4 goals.

There are two North Melbournes... a lazy, slow, skill deficient, one way running side that uses the ball worse than we do, and another version that rips you to pieces through the middle. 

If the first side fronts up we will be more than competitive.  If the second fronts up we will lose by 20 goals.

Frankly I don't see a lot of difference between North and us... we both have patchy work rates and can be scintillating or awful within short periods.  They also have a lot of slow players but unlike us they seem to get away with them.

There are a number of players that constantly give us trouble and I don't understand why.

1.  Petrie is one.  In the past I have watched tall backs, including Henderson, take this bloke to the cleaners.  One was Henderson and he flogged him with his mobility... yet I have seen Petrie kick bags on Henderson...   I reckon Rowe can match this bloke in the air but when it hits the ground will be a concern.
2.  Boomer Harvey is still a critical component to that mob winning games. Wake up Mick.   He is fast, rat cunning, sly and suckers cheap frees. I think he leads the AFL in score assists?   He needs to be watched like a hawk by somebody who is prepared to sit on him and run with him all day.  He also gets frustrated with close attention and can get a bit err, distracted.  I would be tempted to sit maybe Robinson on him in a defensive role, yet tell him to run forward an attempt to hurt the other way at any opportunity.  It is critical to shut this bloke down.
3.  Lindsay Thomas.  I have no idea who we have to sit on this bloke but they need to play him close and smart and be aware of what this guy does.  If he gets of the chain it will get ugly.

I'll be watching you Mick and await with interest what strategies you will put in place against this mob.  I know we are light on for personnel but how's about something innovative for once?

Great post.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #12
Ciao

They should win, but they are so horribly inconsistent that it is within reason that we could roll them even if we are tanking.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #13
Ciao

They should win, but they are so horribly inconsistent that it is within reason that we could roll them even if we are tanking.

Agree we are a chance because North are so unreliable vs lesser teams..love to win this as I find Brad Scott really annoying ;)

Reply #14
Just cannot see us stopping Petrie, I hope I am wrong, but I rate him as the leagues second best KPF behind Hawkins.
The Force Awakens!