Skip to main content
Topic: RD 18 : Blues Stun Kangaroos (Final Siren Shock) (Read 52478 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 18 : Blues Stun Kangaroos (Final Siren Shock)

Reply #60
P2c, has he got the right fairy dust to sprinkle over Watson?  I personally don't think so as Watson does seem to have that 'will to succeed at all cost' attitude that Mick wants

Reply #61
We can only dream Townsend. With that left boot if he could just fix the other parts of his game he could be anything! I think LP brought something up the other day about Watto's stats being better than Cas' first 10 or so games. Who knows? Imagine we could put his left boot on the Cas? :D
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #62
Might I also add I really enjoyed last night's game, first I've enjoyed for quite some time. Why you ask? Well not only did I go against my rule of not betting against my side ( I thought we were morals ) but we played with a spirit that hasn't been evident since the final last year and that IMO is what's missing in the team ATM, not talent but spirit. It's just a pity it took four milestone games to bring it out in us.

Jarrad Waite is as true blue as they come and it's no surprise that he lifted so much for his mates, that's the type of bloke he is. Malthouse needs to learn how to harness that talent, it's just not right that a player of Waite's capabilities is playing reserves. Yes I understand he can be a little inconsistent but not to the point of being dropped. I cannot believe the bloke finally has got his body right and can't get a regular gig for us.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #63
I haven't read the all of this thread so I'm sorry if this has been said before but.....

Rowe; BOG. Kept a lid on Petrie.
Gibbs; he was a number 1 pick for a reason.
Murphy; all class.
Waite; match winner.
Henderson; keep him in the forward 50!
Wood; Warnock should be VERY scared.
Judd; lifts when he needs to. Helped carry us over the line.
Docherty; very good pick up.

Thomas; not worth 700k atm
Why did the Carlton FC fall? So they could learn to pick themselves up.

Reply #64
Good win by the boys, but the real challenge is to do that when the big boys try to exert real physical pressure. I don't claim to understand North's game style, but they play off their man and give plenty of latitude through the middle. The sort of opposition we like. As a result the game was genuinely entertaining to watch, a rare occurrence these days. It's amazing what you can do with a team built for fast ball movement, that finally decides to move the ball quickly. And FWIW, I find North to be a generally clean team, not perfect, but better than most.

Casboult - another good game, without the same impact as last week.

Hendo - looked ok, and hopefully this is a sign that he is getting back to his best.

Waite - ahh Jarryd. Supporters sometime speak of a particular player being the "barometer" of the team. For me, it is between Simmo and Waite. Have we ever done badly when Waite has played well ? He was great last night. A real delight to watch. And someone else said it, his hands are as good as Cas. Without his injuries and brain fades, he could've easily been a contender.

Graham - talk about haircuts - to my eyes, he bears more than a passing resemblance to Martin Gore from Depeche Mode. Played exactly as you would expect a young, freshly minted recruit. Lively, sharp, confident. Good game and great goal.

Yazz - still not running and carrying as much as he has in the past - is he injured ? At any rate, did cover a lot of ground, and we got the "good but not flashy" Yazz last night. Did a lot of simple things well, and makes it look so effortless.

BOS(brother of Spida) - first game I've seen him play where I could be convinced he was worth recruiting - and then he gets injured. Was playing well. I hope his injury is nothing serious.

Menz - was playing a different role last night. Similar to Yazz, going ok with out the flashy stuff, and then gets injured.  I hope his injury is nothing serious.

Judd - to my eyes, I haven't seen Judd look this fast, sharp and lively for a few seasons. A very good game and if he doesn't play next season…….. Murph made it clear he wants him to play, and it was a rare "guard down" moment to see him enjoying himself with the Gatorade at the end. His fist pump on the siren was great too. Love the Juddmeister.

Gibbs- well, well, well. A couple of very lazy disposals early on, and then bang. Off he goes. Not much physical pressure from the Kangas, and he lapped it up. Terrific game, and clearly loving his time in the midfield.

Murph - did well, as we would expect from a great talent, with the latitude he was given. Very good game.

Wood - at this point, a better option than 206. Good game, with some strong marking and good ruck work.

Curnow - tries hard, and I can see his role as a stopper / tagger. But I'm 50/50 on him at the moment.

Ellard - I really want him to do well, but I just don't think it will happen. Will be the first delisted this year IMO. Lack of skill, lack of speed, poor decision making. Sigh.

Robbo - needs to learn from Hodge how to be a sneaky, clever tough man. Bit too captain obvious at the moment. Given his record, and given the MRP's obvious love for Carlton, will get done for that late hit. Played a very good game and his energy and pace around the field and impact on contests are invaluable for mine. Skill improvement is occurring, albeit at a glacial pace.

Simmo - smart and courageous player, but lacking in zip and energy at the moment. Did good things last night, but looking a little cooked to be honest. Injuries ? Age ?

Rowe - definitely joining in the group hug on this one. He has improved the way I hoped Ellard would improve. Seems to be getting the gig on the opposition's best forwards, and so far has done very well, in marking, spoiling, one on ones. Disposal and composure need to be rectified asap - both are big concerns.

White - a lesser version of Rowe. Like Robbo, has a bit of the tough guy about him, but needs more to stay in the team. Hopefully improvement can continue. Did ok last night.

Jamo - the ever reliable Jamo. A good game, and he is for mine a very good disposer of the footy, especially by foot.

Doc - good game - seems to be coming along nicely.

Thomas - will he and Malthouse turn out to be the 24 carat solid, real deal, or will they end up as fool's gold ? I hope the former. I would have Thomas in our bottom three last night. I hope it's only pre season and game time that account for this.

Reply #65
It's amazing how quickly Thomas finds himself down back getting cheap uncontested disposals after a poor first half. Obviously Mick is trying get him into the game. A bigger flop than Broke.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #66
Casboult -ran out of petrol towards the end but scares the opposition.   Didn't do a lot but other talls did the job.

Hendo - was incensed by his wastefulness but turned it around.  Did the basics well - Hansen was poor on him, very poor.

Waite - as good a game as we've seen from SOV... crunching tackles, mobility, kicked well, outstanding marking.  The mark in D50 then the long run forward and goal was superb.

Graham - overall I was impressed, better than some of the VFL games I have seen.  Won't be allowed to run around with space that often and must get prepared for harder football in the clinches.  Still too many dinky kicks under pressure but when allowed to run loose showed he can drill the ball properly. Needs work on left foot, core strength work and must keep his feet.

Yazz - concur... did the basics well and carried the ball superbly at times without unnecessary razzle dazzle.  Open game suited him.

BOS(brother of Spida) - knew the injury was serious when I saw it, looked nasty.

Judd - his last quarter was good and a solid contributor but I thought the other mids did a lot of the heavy lifting.  Looked sharp and had a bit of zip about him... doesn't look like a player fading out to me..

Gibbs- massive, massive game I thought, especially second quarter.  Swept up a lot of loose but contested ball at the back of the square and delivered clean.

Murph - shown no respect and cut norf apart with precise disposal.  One wasted F50 but it that is regarded as an "average" game then he is up there with the best.

Wood - proper ruckman's game.  Big marks, created space, negated Goldstein yet won some crucial clearances.  Honest effort.

Curnow - hard to follow on the TV... did he run with Boomer?  Competed hard but seemed to get the slip at times.   Still integral to side IMO as better in that role than others.

Ellard - poor, but not from lack of effort.  Put in and drew frees - seemed to play higher up the ground than normal but delivered ball poorly, got caught and didn't capitalise in opportunities. Will struggle to retain place in side and spot on list.

Robbo - superb hit on Adams and valuable as third man in and general grunt around the place... others have gotten off at the MRP for way worse but he'll go. Agreed needs to get smarter but we play better when he is around.

Simmo - very good off half back I thought, though his kicking seems to have lost a bit of penetration.  Ran hard to create that wide loose option off half back and distributed well... essentially what beat norf.

Rowe - towelled Petrie.  Seems slow to give off by hand in broken play which creates problems but remember, he has played about 15 games in defence.  It will come.

White - does some very tough things but makes some critical, really dumb errors.  Seems to be either a touch slow or a touch short for the roles they want him to play but better than the other options in the 2's. 

Jamo - If he stood Black and Brown then he was very good... but there was a bit of heart-in-mouth disposal stuff.

Doc - good game disposal-wise but was disappointed to see him beaten in the air when he had the sit.

Touhy - best game for a while IMO.  Kicked and used the ball well and looked better under pressure.

Thomas - was a passenger... got knocked over and lost footing very easily and looks down on strength.

Menzel - awesome tackles and astute flanker's role, running hard and dropping back to defence at times to offer option/support so not in positions to hit scoreboard.   Praying that his knee is alright.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #67
The Kangabies love it when they're the hunters but if subjected to being the hunted, find the going tough. We sure did hunt them and insist on playing the game on our terms. Bravo. Best win of the year. Amazing what a difference playing all four quarters makes (had we kicked straight in the 3rd, we'd have closed the game out then).

Also amazing what a difference it makes to our side when Waite brings his A game... sadly, now we're waiting for him to get reported or just go missing for the day in his next game or the one after - also wish he would stop pleading with the umpire all the time for a 50 or a free.

Rowe - success story. Especially good considering he strolled down media street this week yet was unaffected by the publicity - good stuff.

Graham has worked hard on his disposal and it is now paying dividends - well done (though squirting one out on the full was a throw back to a few months ago!). Blessing in disguise that he had to play more time on the ground than first thought. Even MM made comment on him stepping up. Just has to keep up the concentration. Hope he starts on the ground in our next game.

Simmo - ripper. So many excellent contributions (Yazz early... brilliant) but, along with Waite, Gibbs was the standout...  and it warmed the cockles to see the Juddy dash. But Juddy, really... that 'squirting' of the red gatorade from the hips at Wood!!!!

And it really was good to have a ruckman who can take marks! And kick goals. He contested well with Silverstein but gave him a hiding around the ground. Suspect 206 might find himself on the trade table as we go with Wood, Kreuzer and Meat (and a project from the draft). Wrapped he got the call up, has worked really hard in the 2s, probably never beaten, and richly deserved this opportunity.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #68
In the previous 3 comprehensive rundowns of the game and players, no one mentioned Bell!!  Thoughts on his game?

Reply #69
In the previous 3 comprehensive rundowns of the game and players, no one mentioned Bell!!  Thoughts on his game?

Well spotted tc.

Knew there was someone I missed. I thought he did well. Played up forward and through the middle. Provided some grunt around the stoppages and used his pace to spread well and provide run and carry.

Reply #70
Not prominent springs to mind, no obvious errors.  Not a lot of game time.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #71
I would let Judd go with that feeble squirting. That last image of him with Waite and the old prez laughing it up is what will stick in my mind. It was as if all the shackles had lifted and they were a bunch of mates having a time of their lives.

Reply #72
Yeah did not stand out to me at any stage but that said I don't remember cursing him either.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #73
You wouldn't curse anyone Carrots!

We had the least turnovers that we've had for a long long time, it made a big difference. More as a result of lack of pressure from Norf.

Reply #74
They were very loose, I remember the commentators were amazed at the space Murph was getting.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!